Poll: Adults / 30 Something

What would you choose for flooring?
By HardestWorker Comments: 1075, member since Sun Apr 25, 2004
On Sun Jun 12, 2011 06:23 PM

Hi everyone,
I've just bought a townhouse and it is now being built. I get to choose whether the great room (living room/dining room) has a tile floor or carpet. I feel like carpet is more warm and welcoming, but tile is easier to keep clean. However, carpet is free and tile is $1,000 extra (plus I'd have to buy rugs). Tile would probably up the resale value, and carpet may even need to be replaced before I can sell again.

Please either vote and/or share your thoughts about what I should do. It is my first house and I'm not sure what the best option is! Thank you all in advance :)

18 Replies to What would you choose for flooring?

re: What would you choose for flooring?
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 14381, member since Mon Aug 11, 2003
On Sun Jun 12, 2011 06:59 PM
I'd go with the tile...it gives you the option, you can switch rugs much more often than you'd be able to replace carpet, so decorating would be more fun. :)

Plus, yeah, if you end up selling at some point having the tile will get you a better price...at least that's what HGTV teaches me, heh.
By gioland Comments: 248, member since Tue Sep 08, 2009
On Sun Jun 12, 2011 08:11 PM
I know it is a personal situation, but I strongly prefer tiles: I am allergic to dust and tiles make it so much easier to keep the level of dust low. Easier when my cats barf on the floor. Easier when I spill OJ... Well, I am a bit clumsy :)
My house has tiled floors on the main floor and in the basement, and hard wood floors on the second level where the bedrooms are. I don't have rugs, but I really wish I could have a few really colourful wool rugs... Sigh!
By highlanddncr Comments: 720, member since Mon Dec 22, 2003
On Sun Jun 12, 2011 08:28 PM
Can you do a laminate wood like Pergo? I had Pergo at my last house and loved it. So easy to clean and no scratches even with my crazy 120 pound dog. I have hardwood at my house now and am already seeing scratches and it's not as easy to take care of. Found the same with carpet- no matter how much you vacum and steam, it eventually looks dingy. Never had tile in a living room so can't speak about that but LOVED the Pergo:)
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2188, member since Sat May 06, 2006
On Sun Jun 12, 2011 09:04 PM
Tiles, I think. Where I am tiles are not a big thing in living areas; more for kitchen/dining and bathrooms and laundries. Having said that, my parents just tiled their living/dining/open plan kitchen type space and it looks great. They'll decorate with rugs/carpet squares.

^I'm not fond of the laminate flooring because of the "clack" factor when you walk on it in anything except bare feet. Hardwood here is just that- hard, and much harder than any laminate we can get.
By Reidfidleirmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3478, member since Sun Sep 28, 2003
On Fri Jun 24, 2011 08:31 PM
I love carpet for living rooms, BUT you said it's a combo of living room/DINING room. You'll definitely want tile for a dining room floor! Even if it's more a living area, if people are going to be eating there, wall to wall carpet will be hard to keep looking nice long term.
If you still want carpet, go with berber if you have a choice. If you don't, and they'll only do "low pile" or whatever pile carpet, scrap it- because you will be anyway in a few years.
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3627, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Fri Jun 24, 2011 09:46 PM
I chose tile but I wish there had been "wood" and "laminate" choices. I agree with everyone else that it is easier to clean and keep dust free. Plus it is more comfortable if you can put down a nice, warm rug in the winter and roll up the rug and store it someplace in the hot summer. If you choose carpet, even if you try your best to keep the it clean, at some time in the future it will need to be replaced. So I'm not sure that the "free" carpet will be the least expensive in the long run.
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:01 PM
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2011-06-24 22:08:24
I'm not a fan of ceramic tile in great rooms. Tile is loud, cold, slick when wet and anything you drop will break. I'd go with wood, given my choice. But if the choice is ONLY tile or carpet, I would go with Berber carpet.

kk~
On Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:00 AM
Thank you all for your comments and opinions. I have talked with a lot of people and am still on the fence between carpet and tile, but if I do have the option of laminate (I won't know for a few weeks until I have my appt to make these decisions), I will definitely choose that. I'm really hoping for the laminate option.
By mirrimmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 753, member since Sat Apr 05, 2008
On Sat Jun 25, 2011 06:19 PM
Do you have kids or will you have kids in this house?
Tile with small children will mean many more whacks to the head and bruised knees. I have a toddler who has just learned to run, so falls are pretty frequent here. I have hardwood, and while it has a bit of "give", some days I dream of having soft cushy carpet. I am not a fan of tile in living rooms, but it would definitely be easier to clean and maintain.
On Sat Jun 25, 2011 09:25 PM
I don't have kids. It will just be me living there, so no worries there. I'm also really not a messy person, if that makes much difference.
By JustDancing4Fun Comments: 601, member since Mon Nov 13, 2006
On Tue Jun 28, 2011 07:22 AM
What a lot of people tend to do while buying a brand new home is: go with whatever flooring is free. Then upgrade yourself when you can afford to.

My cousin and his roommate just sold their townhouse. They had carpet everywhere where there wasn't tile. Just a month before putting their home on the market, they took up the carpet and put down hardwood. They got their asking price for it!
By Vibrations Comments: 101, member since Mon Jun 27, 2011
On Tue Jun 28, 2011 01:57 PM
I initially voted tile, but after re-reading your post and realizing that the area is a living room/dining room mix, I would choose carpet. Tile, to me, is more of a kitchen/bathroom thing. Living room/dining room looks more elegant with carpet, I think. And there are many different types of carpeting patterns available these days that are absolutely stunning.
By Trout Comments: 897, member since Mon Nov 08, 2010
On Tue Jun 28, 2011 05:21 PM
I voted tile. Like others have said, if I could choose anything, I would choose hardwood.

The laminate flooring would look like wood, right? If you have that option, I would strongly, strongly suggest that you choose that. Wood floors look great in any room, and you can decorate with rugs, like others have said. Plus it's super easy to clean up, stains don't set, and it's softer than tile.

When I'm looking for a place, carpet is a total turn off. I don't like that other people have been living on that carpet for however many years, even if it is only a couple years old. Maybe I'm OCD, but you can't truly clean carpet. You can shampoo it and steam it, but there are still going to be things that have been ground deep into the carpet. With wood, you could sterilize it if you wanted to. If you walk on it with dirty shoes or feet, it's not a problem. Laminate flooring makes s place look very clean and fresh, and that is really important when it comes to resale value.

It would be nice to get the free carpet and then upgrade later on, but would you actually do it? Installing new flooring is a huge project that would put your house in disarray for a while. If you really think you would be motivated enough to redo the flooring in the future, get whatever you want. However, flooring is expensive, and if you are able to place something now without worrying about moving your stuff or hiring people, go with the laminate wood flooring.
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Tue Jun 28, 2011 07:47 PM
Edited by SoloJazzDancer (98263) on 2011-06-28 19:48:51 had to add something to it.
Edited by SoloJazzDancer (98263) on 2011-06-28 19:50:05 had to add something again.
Here is my take on this. We have carpet in our living room/dining room and have had it for eons. We are probably going to replace it. We've had it cleaned professionally many times but it has just gotten to old now and never looks totally clean. We also have carpet in our hallway. I love carpet! The ones we've seen to replace what we have, have a 10-20 year warrantee! My mom says the carpet will outlive her and she's 83. Carpet just feels better and it won't cost you anything, like you say. If you get a good vacuum cleaner and have it cleaned when carpet places have specials, I think you'll get a lot of years of wear out of it. I vote for carpet!
By rosalinde Comments: 1973, member since Fri Jun 19, 2009
On Tue Aug 02, 2011 01:27 AM
I would choose tiles in any room where you work with water and/or food (kitchen, bathroom etc), but otherwise carpet all the way. I mean, tiles (or wood) are great for people with allergies, but carpet is so much warmer. I have wall-to-wall carpet and a cat, and I just hoover every day. Takes a few minutes tops.
You may also want to check what is normal in your neighbourhood (for resale purposes, climate etc), and you might get a better deal on the tiles if you can get a few other people to buy the tiles together and have the builders order and lay them all at the same time.
Anyway, congrats on buying your house, very exciting!
By roselea Comments: 27, member since Mon Jul 25, 2011
On Wed Aug 03, 2011 04:08 PM
voted tiles, my sister had carpet and it was really cheap quality and lost that new look really quickly. She replaced with wood. I would go for a good quality tile and make sure it is laid properly.
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:30 AM
I am generally a tile person too. Carpet is tough to keep clean with my lifestyle (hiking, tennis, I have a dog, live in the desert etc.) Tile is far easier to maintain and clean. Carpet is often nice in the bedroom, but if given the choice I'd do hardwood, or tile any day and it looks better when reselling.
By AprilMaria Comments: 23, member since Mon Jul 29, 2013
On Fri Aug 16, 2013 09:23 PM
How is it tiles are costing you a grand? Here you can get tiles for between 4 and 6 euros a square metere. I would go with the tile, i have just one carpet in my whole house and i regret having it, my partner insisted on having a carpet on the bedroom, carpets are dirty and you always have to replace them. If i could get him to go away for a few days i would throw the carpet out and lay tile.

ReplySendWatch