Forum: Irish / Irish - MAIDs

How to find a used solo dress??
By irishdancemama
On Fri Jun 17, 2011 09:49 AM

I am in the midst of a dress search for my daughter. Since this is her first one- she is really excited- she just qualified for hers a few weeks ago. Anyway, we have tried used ones on at the feis- and we are in the used market due to budgetary constraints- and it has been very difficult to find anything that fits. For the moms who have done this before- how did you find your daughter's first dress? Did you find online measurements to be true? ect??

Thanks!!

9 Replies to How to find a used solo dress??

re: How to find a used solo dress??
By irishmexican
On Fri Jun 17, 2011 09:54 AM
I have purchased all but one dress online. The sizes seem to be pretty true to size. Make sure you ask lots of questions before making the commitment to buy. You can also ask sellesr if they are willing to take a return dress if it does not fit.
here are some great sights for used dresses:
dance-again.com
irishdancingexchange.com
By Tansey
On Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:43 PM
Edited by Tansey (209516) on 2011-06-17 12:48:44
My daughter's first 3 dresses were all bought used. We bought one from another dancer at dd's school, we bought one that our former workshop teacher had brought over from Ireland, and the last one was bought from a dancer in another region whose mom had posted on one of the voy boards that she had a dress for sale. The measurements sounded about right, so the mom and I exchanged several emails. First I requested photos, and she sent lots, including close-ups of the one place a sequin had snagged. Since we loved the look of the dress, we exchanged more emails checking and double-checking measurements very carefully. She questioned me extensively as to exactly how I was measuring so that there were no misunderstandings. Then when we were pretty sure it would fit, we came to agreement on a price and she sent the dress out to us, with the understanding that we had 3 days from the date of arrival to send it back if we were unhappy in any way, or if the TC did not approve. The dress was exactly as expected and it fit beautifully, so I wired the funds from my bank account to hers as agreed.

Obviously being able to try the dress on is best. A few times we went to feiseanna dd wasn't competing in, simply to look at used dresses for sale, and dd's TC also contacted some of her TC friends to see if anybody had a dancer getting ready to sell something that might fit dd.

Best of luck to you and your dd. Enjoy the dress-shopping experience!
By krisinstitches
On Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:48 PM
Of the 7 (yikes!) used dresses I've bought for my 2 dancers, 4 were found at feisanna, 3 online (2 on dance-again, one on irish dancing exchange).

Definitely find out as much as you can about the measurements of the dress and its current condition. Most sellers are trustworthy, but you'll occasionally get one that posts an old picture because the dress isn't in good condition, or one that says it doesn't have any smells, and it does.

Best of luck!
By irishdancemama
On Fri Jun 17, 2011 02:26 PM
Thanks for the info- I really have been a wee bit overwhelmed by this whole process. My daughter is a hard fit in some ways- because she has short torso but long legs and arms- and she is thin. I suppose tho all body types are hard to fit! I will go into this process feeling much better prepared thanks to your posts!
By erica123
On Fri Jun 17, 2011 04:24 PM
Maybe if you post your daughters measurements & how much your budget is someone may have a dress to suit.
By irishdancemama
On Fri Jun 17, 2011 06:55 PM
erica123 wrote:

Maybe if you post your daughters measurements & how much your budget is someone may have a dress to suit.

Thanks for the suggestion! I just did that! ;)
By Irishdancemom1
On Fri Jun 17, 2011 07:26 PM
One other comment re:used dresses....we have purchased 3 used dresses, all on dance-again. If the measurements are not PERFECT I have also had two of the dresses altered (one was a little too big in the bodice, and another was a little too short)....each time just cost $50 or so.
By DressShopping
On Sat Jun 18, 2011 07:36 AM
Remeber to add an inch or two to your dancers actual chest/waist/hips measurement, (look for a dress that is a tad bigger in width)as you want her to be able to breathe and move!
By krisinstitches
On Tue Jun 21, 2011 07:04 AM
Irishdancemom1 wrote:

One other comment re:used dresses....we have purchased 3 used dresses, all on dance-again. If the measurements are not PERFECT I have also had two of the dresses altered (one was a little too big in the bodice, and another was a little too short)....each time just cost $50 or so.

I've done this too. The last dress I bought off dance-again was too big for my dd, but it was the color/style we wanted. Bought in April, altered over the summer, first wore it last September, and is still wearing it. I just had it let down, since she has grown, and it was easy since the dress had enough extra length to accommodate.

ReplySendWatch