Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Achievements

Jazz - Achievements
From passé, developpée into a tilt and hold. Possible?
By Mlillith Comments: 15, member since Fri Jul 28, 2006
On Sat Jun 18, 2011 02:29 AM

I am up for summer vacations, and this summer I want to archeive a tilt preparing with a passé and through developpé. But I can't seem to understand the technique behind it. I think maybe it is easier with a flat turn-out than mine, which is about a medium. At least I use my turnout for what it's worth. Do you think it is possible for me to do a tilt from develloppe and -hold it- there? Does it just require more strength, or will it look "off" on someone with non-flat turnout?
I will be so grateful for your thoughts on this, and best if someone has experience and pictures .

5 Replies to From passé, developpée into a tilt and hold. Possible?

re: From passé, developpée into a tilt and hold. Possible?
By melissaga Comments: 323, member since Sun Feb 14, 2010
On Sun Jun 19, 2011 07:06 AM
I do think it is possible without a perfectly flat turnout from the hips. But, I also do think it requires a great deal of core stability. You may want to direct your efforts more towards improving your core strength (pilates, pilates and then more pilates!)
By melissaga Comments: 323, member since Sun Feb 14, 2010
On Sun Jun 19, 2011 07:08 AM
I do think it is possible without a perfectly flat turnout from the hips. But, I also do think it requires a great deal of core stability. You may want to direct your efforts more towards improving your core strength (pilates, pilates and then more pilates!)
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Mon Jun 20, 2011 07:56 PM
Will it look 'off'? Maybe. Possibly. That depends on your aesthetic tastes (meaning, what you think looks good and what looks off). For the most part, people agree on what 'ideal' is, but the rest is a matter of opinion, really.

So, that part is up-in-the-air. However, is it possible for you to learn to do the movements to the best of your physical ability? OF COURSE YES! Now, will you be able to get it over the summer? That's another story that depends on how close you are to the movement already. The further you are from the elements (strength, flexibility, balance), the longer it will take. You can do it, but the timeline depends on you.
By ooglybooglymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 67, member since Fri Jun 24, 2011
On Fri Jul 01, 2011 03:31 PM
My turnout is really bad, but my tilts are actually pretty good. i think a tilt is a lot about strength. turnout helps as well, but when i do a tilts what helps me hold it is tightening my core and squeezing my bottom.
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6776, member since Fri Oct 07, 2005
On Fri Jul 01, 2011 07:56 PM
[link:www.halloffamedance.com . . .]This dance[/link] is one of my very favorite hall of fame dances ever, from 2005. Ali Marconi, the dancer, does a tilt hold in the beginning of the dance, and as you can see, she holds her leg more to the "front-side" than "side-side" It's still a very pretty and effective tilt though, because her toes are pointed beautifully and she holds her body really well. Definitely possible.

ReplySendWatch