Forum: Arts / Philosophy

Philosophy
Do You Believe In People, Places, Or Things Being Media To Help You Find Wanted Information?
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4727, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:41 AM

Title says it all. Do you believe in a medium?

I've been doing research on my own within the past several years about epilepsy and the brain. (Can you tell from my posts that I'm fascinated by these subjects?). I suppose it's silly, but I like to think that the neurologist/epileptologist and the neurosurgeon (both of whom, sadly, passed away some years ago) who had been treating me before I had my surgery have been looking down from that great white doctor's office in the sky and have seen me wondering some detailed questions about epilepsy and the brain, and both of them have in spirit used the web and the neurologist whom I'm seeing now as media to help me find the answers to these very detailed questions I've been asking. As I look back, I see that I've asked my neurologist these questions, and I've searched on the web, and it has seemed to me that all of a sudden, I've found the answers to these questions.

The detailed questions I've been wondering are:

1) What makes complex partial seizures of the temporal lobe of the brain the most difficult to control with anti-seizure medicine?

2) What makes one seizure medicine the most effective to treat one seizure type, but not effective to treat the other seizure types?

3) What makes certain automatisms the commonly seen in one seizure type, but not seen in the other seizure types?

3) What makes one particular aura the most commonly seen in one seizure type, but not seen in the other seizure types?

4) What causes the "out of body" sensation following a brain injury?

5) Could the stimulation of or damage to the temporoparietal junction explain the "out of body" sensation following a brain injury?

6) I've learned that the period of time between the brain injury and the very first seizure to having the very next seizure is called the "latent period". It's during this time that the changes are happening in the brain that will go on to cause epilepsy. During my "latent period", which lasted for two years, I was experiencing some queasiness and stomach tightening. I did not know enough about epilepsy then to know that what I was feeling was an aura that is commonly felt in partial seizures of the temporal lobe. As I look back, I see that this queasiness and stomach tightening was becoming stronger during those two years. Could this mean that during my "latent period", my seizure focus was moving onto the hippocampus structure in the temproal lobe? In the long-term video and EEG monitoring test I had before I had my epilepsy surgery, my neurologist/epileptologist explained that this test was showing that my seizure focus was located on the middle of the hippocampus on the right temporal lobe.

I'm sure that these two doctors had surely been asking these sane detailed questions during their training and later careers, especially when their main focus turned to diagnosing and treating epilepsy. I really liked them.

The last time I saw my neurologist last April, I saw his nurse practioner. I asked her these questions. She said, "You are one of our most informed patients. You ask some of the greatest questions.".

2 Replies to Do You Believe In People, Places, Or Things Being Media To Help You Find Wanted Information?

re: Do You Believe In People, Places, Or Things Being Media To Help You Find Wanted Information?
By QueensJennmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1278, member since Mon Dec 05, 2005
On Sat Jun 25, 2011 02:09 PM
I have no idea what the answers to those questions are. Truth be told, I don't even know what most of them mean. But I know with my own case of epilepsy, I had no latency period. There was no brain injury. There were no symptoms. One night, when I was about 19 years old, I went to sleep, and had a grand mal seizure. In the 6 years since then, I've had 11 more. I have no warning, no aura. No one has been able to find a reason for it - no injury, no scar tissue, no tumours, no deformities. It's just something that is. I'm on 500 mg Epival twice a day, which seems to control it well enough.

Maybe that answers something of what you're looking for?
re: Do You Believe In People, Places, Or Things Being Media To Help You Find Wanted Information?
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4727, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Sat Jun 25, 2011 06:58 PM
I've found the answers to most of those questions through the internet and my current neurologist. As I said, my former neurologist/epileptologist and neurosurgeon may have been in spirit using the web and my current neurologist as media to help me find those answers. My point in this post is, have any of you done some hard searching for some information on any particular subject, and then all of a sudden found the answers to your questions? Maybe some of your departed family members or friends have in spirit guided you to the source of the information. In that case, they have of course been using books or the web as media to help you find the answers. This is how I felt when I suddenly came across the answers to those detailed questions I've had.

ReplySendWatch