Forum: Advice / Girls & Guys

Ankle Bracelets--What do you think?
By boleyngrrl
On Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:23 PM

Hi!

So my friend bought an ankle bracelet at a store the other day. It's really very pretty, but I know people have different thoughts on ankle bracelets for different reasons.

So what do you guys think? I'm considering fixing up one that I got about 4 years ago and wearing it (it basically looks like a silver charm bracelet), but if it would give me a specific label I'm not going to do it. There was a radio conversation about it a couple days ago that made me go "Aw heck no forget this!" But, at the same time, the people could have just been being inflammatory to get ratings. I know there are some strange connotations for people with ankle bracelets, so I wondered what the dance community thought!!!

Thanks in advance!

~boleyngrrl~

24 Replies to Ankle Bracelets--What do you think?

re: Ankle Bracelets--What do you think?
By Sumayah
On Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:27 PM
I think they're pretty. I have one I wear from time to time. Didn't realize there were any negative connotations with them, I just like them.
By boleyngrrl
On Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:41 PM
^^I didn't know about them either until the radio show. That's what got me thinking they might have just been saying it for ratings, but I wasn't sure. Thanks!!!!
By Amyliamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:45 PM
I don't know of any connotations with ankle bracelets. My best friend and I wear friendship anklets made from embroidery floss, like the kind kids make. I made them for us about a month ago and we've worn them ever since. I wore one for a few months last year that my roommate made me as well.
By irishgurl28
On Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:52 PM
I never knew there was any negative things with them either! I usually wear the friendship kinds made of the embroidery floss, but I cannot wear them long because I have to cut them off for feises and other major competitions. What did the radio show say about them?
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jun 25, 2011 01:10 PM
Edited by reel_faerie85 (220924) on 2011-06-25 13:26:10
When I was at school there was a 'thing' that wearing an ankle bracelet on your left ankle meant you was a lesbian. Utter nonsense if you ask me. Funnily enough if you wore those plasticy rubber bracelets that come in different shapes, and a boy snapped them, then he wanted to sleep with you!

To be honest I don't know anything else about ankle bracelets except they look pretty. I would ignore any rumours and chit chat about them, if you like how they look wear them.

Can I ask what the radio said?

Edit: Heres what some other forums and internet sites say:

Answers.com - right ankle = swinger looking for someone (what a load of rubbish) wiki.answers.com . . .

Buzzle.com - Some good historical information
www.buzzle.com . . .

By Orionmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jun 25, 2011 01:35 PM
Whaaat? I never knew there were any connotations. I've never had a nice one, but I've almost always worn either a hemp beaded one (like the kind you get at the beach), or embroidery thread ones that I've made. I have one (red, yellow, green, and black) on my right ankle, and if that makes me a swinger, SO BE IT!

Kidding. I love ankle bracelets, though. Negative connotations or otherwise.
By Trout
On Sat Jun 25, 2011 01:38 PM
I didn't know there were any connotations associated with ankle bracelets, but I think they're kind of 1990's. Ankle bracelets, toe rings, Doc Martins, fanny packs, Rachel hair, etc. Do whatever you want, wear whatever you want, it doesn't matter what other people think.
On Sat Jun 25, 2011 01:45 PM
^ Oops, I wear a toe ring too! Forever stuck in the 90's ;)
By boleyngrrl
On Sat Jun 25, 2011 02:35 PM
/hijacking own post

^^Are those comfortable? I've always wondered! They're so pretty but I think if I had one it'd drive me nuts!

/end hijack

Yeah the radio station (it was KISS 96.5, I think.... The morning show) was saying certain types of people not appropriate for the non-PG-13 board were the only ones that wear them, and I was like "What?" But I'm glad to hear it's not true!!! Thank you all!
On Sat Jun 25, 2011 02:40 PM
^ I wear one on my second toe at all times, and I completely forget it's on unless I happen to look down. It's just a metal band, that you like squeeze to tighten. Not uncomfortable in the least :)

/enabling the hijack, lol
By ghilliegirlan
On Sat Jun 25, 2011 04:32 PM
I've never heard of those connotations before, if anything I think they just make the person seem like a very carefree hippy kind of person which is not a bad thing in my book :) I like ankle bracelets although I haven't worn one in a very long time, not many people do anymore but I have a friend that wears a hemp one that she totally rocks. I would totally start wearing them again but I feel like they look better with flipflops and sandals not with sneakers which are what I wear all the time but maybe it's just me. I think you've inspired me to pull out my old anklet next time I wear sandals and shorts.

-Ashley
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jun 26, 2011 03:50 AM
I don't know if they "say" anything about you, but to me the metal ones look 1990s and fabric ones look hippie. The 1990s was a tragic decade and I'm not a fan of anything hippie. On the other hand, why would you care what I think?
By helix_
On Sun Jun 26, 2011 04:19 AM
The negative connotations I have heard about them is that they are a bit tacky. When I was in high school there were a few girls who use to wear them, the kind of girls who wore minimal clothing. But I think they look ok as long as it's age appropriate.
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jun 26, 2011 07:22 AM
I have two that I wear occasionally (not at the same time). One is a silver one with little rhinestones, the other is a turquoise beaded thing my brother got me from the beach. I really doubt there is anything 'wrong' with wearing them...and if there was, who cares. They're cute.
By kandykanePremium member
On Sun Jun 26, 2011 07:29 AM
^ Really?? I'm too old for an ankle bracelet? Huh. Nobody ever told me that nor have I ever read it anywhere.

I have several and wear one in the summer most of the time and have since uh... can't remember when. (Unless I have a flower on my toenail polish or a lot of detail on my sandals, then it looks like a bit much and I am a fan of 'less is more'.)

Set your own style. That's called being an individual.

kk~
By ghilliegirlan
On Sun Jun 26, 2011 05:04 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think she meant that ankle bracelets are only for younger people I think she meant that some are more suited to the younger generation than older people. Chunky plastic beaded anklets that say BFF in big pink beads probably isn't age appropriate for a 30 yr.old(not that I think you wear those nor do I know your age) whereas a cute hemp/embroidery floss or metal anklet is cute and classy for any age. Hope I didn't make things more confusing I just wanted to explain what I think she meant so you wouldn't feel offended.

-Ashley

Comment #9620026 deleted
Removed by Chaconne (182529) on 2011-06-26 18:18:02 Double posting, Original remains (The poster spotted this one LOL)

By kandykanePremium member
On Sun Jun 26, 2011 05:15 PM
Age is nothing to be offended about and I wasn't offended. "Huh" meant "how silly". It makes me laugh when people get all huffy about their age and deny it or when young people say "she's so old!!" about a 40 year old. Like the alternative to aging is any better? :?

Experiment with style and wear what you like. When you find your style, it becomes really comfortable and part of your identity.

kk~
By ghilliegirlan
On Sun Jun 26, 2011 05:44 PM
Okay sorry I misinterpreted your post then I wasn't exactly sure what you were replying to, I'm glad you weren't offended after all.

-Ashley
By Sumayah
On Sun Jun 26, 2011 07:40 PM
My ankle bracelet. Shiny. Sparkly. I do so love sparklies! And really, it's silly to assume that an entire sexual preference can only wear them. If you like it, rock it.
By boleyngrrl
On Sun Jun 26, 2011 09:57 PM
^^Oooohh... I like the shiny too!!!! It's really pretty!!!

I didn't think sexual preference, as a matter of fact, I think the radio show emphasized preference of sex over much else. :P Sorry, couldn't help it.

So I'm definitely going to fix mine up now that I know the radio station was full of it, and because I do like the way they look. I might have to look in to getting a new one when I'm on vacation though, just in case I can't fix up my old one so it stays.

PS: I was not expecting this thread to be this long! Thanks for your replies everybody!!!
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jun 28, 2011 01:12 AM
I didn't know there were any connotations, but a lot scream 90s haha.

However ones like Sumayah's are really pretty :) I also like the little coloured thread ones.
By Martha_Cecillemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jun 28, 2011 07:08 AM
I also heard about that lesbian thing, also about the "not appropriate for not pg-13"-thing and the 90's thing.

Where I come from there are mostly wearn by teenies, who have a thing for the hippie-style, like coming barefoot to school, only linen clothes, pretty colours etc.

I personally don't like them, and I don't like most of the syles and shapes they come in.
BUT it is, as always, a personal thing! If you like them, wear them and have fun!
By RawwrrBekiiChampmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:50 AM
I like them and have never heard any connotations with them either :) I think you can wear one and have it as your little 'thing' like some people wear one particilar necklace like a locket everyday, others wear rings etc :)
I have one that is like a friendship braclet but for your ankle which I brought on holiday last year so it has good memories too :)
Love Bekii xxxx

ReplySendWatch