Forum: Arts / Debates

Page:
Page 3 of 3: 1 2 3
re: Gender-neutral preschool
By dust2dustmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Aug 14, 2011 06:18 PM
Hmmm...I cometely agree with the preschool. We should also pull our little girls out of ballet classes and our little boys out of MMA classes. Cause you know, it's teaching them gender roles. I wonder if they will ban kids with non gender-neutral names? Face it, damn near everything on this planet can be seen as a male or female activity/item/whatever. I seriously doubt the preschool will change anything.
By RattyPattymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:24 PM
I am all for tolerance in schools, but I believe this project is taking it too far. Personally, I think gender roles will always be around, regardless of what a preschool does, and I believe this will be for the better. As mentioned earlier, men and women have different strengths, and for a society to endure for a long time, I believe it is important for these strengths to be encouraged. Why? Survival. This is why most animals have gender roles, so their species can survive. Until male kangaroos have pouches, female deer have antlers, and male humans can produce milk for infants, I'll be totally okay with gender roles.
By RedheadGredmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Aug 30, 2011 06:07 AM
I think that aspects of this school are good. I do feel that they are maybe taking it a bit far. When I eventually have kids I am going to get them gender neutral toys, teach them tolerance, etc.

My parents gave me barbies and I was never given toys that weren't made especially for girls. My parents bought me dresses all the time, and a lot of what they gave me was pink. This definitely did not turn me into a girl girl or scar me for life. Whenever I played barbies I never had them just playing house. I had barbies that I turned into aliens, barbies that were gay, and barbies that had super powers. When I was a little older in elementary school I mainly wore baggy t-shirts and jeans. Most of my friends in elementary school were boys and I considered myself to kind of be one of the guys.

Now that I am older I watch anime, go to conventions, watch Doctor Who, and do other things that are not necessarily girly. The majority of the shirts that I own are either anime shirts, superhero shirts, or Doctor Who shirts.

My point is that despite my upbringing when I was very young I didn't turn a particular way because I am a girl. I think that more schools should introduce what this school has into their curriculum. There should be books about different types of family mixed in with all the other books and there should be gender neutral toys. All of that wouldn't make a huge difference in the schools. Tolerance and not assigning roles based on gender needs to begin in the home. If it doesn't happen there then there is a high chance that it won't happen in the schools. Boys and girls will get picked on for being different no matter what the school teaches. I had all of my friends who were girls ditch me in elementary school and start to pick on me because I didn't follow specific gender roles. I definitely crossed the boundaries of what was acceptable and that was too much for them to handle.

I like the idea of this school but it still needs some work so that it doesn't forget about nuclear families or activities that are just fun but may not be gender neutral. Like others have said, this school would just be for those with parents who think the same way that the school does. Any other parent would not send their child there since the school would be teaching something that goes against the parent's beliefs.
Page:
Page 3 of 3: 1 2 3

ReplySendWatch