Forum: General / Computers - General

I need a new laptop and I don't know where to begin
By Orionmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:52 AM
Edited by Orion (192531) on 2011-06-28 12:04:46

So, my poor, 5 year old Macbook is slowly dying on me. I wish I could afford another Mac, but I'm a broke college kid who needs to spend AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE on a replacement. I've been looking a little bit, with some basic advice from a computer science major friend, but I really just don't know what to look for.

I don't need an AMAZING computer. I'll use it mostly for the internet, watching movies, some video games (think Minecraft and Sims 3 and LoL), and the usual school stuff like word processing. Also, I do a LOT of photo editing.

This Asus is what I've come up with so far, is this any good? Any suggestions? Help?

Edit: This one is the same price, and has more memory...?

2 Replies to I need a new laptop and I don't know where to begin

re: I need a new laptop and I don't know where to begin
By Caulfieldmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:24 PM
I don't have any personal experience with the ASUS brand, but I've heard it's completely reliable despite the low prices. (ASUS is cheap because their laptops are new to the market, and they also make their own parts to cut manufacturing costs, which is reflected in the retail prices).

I looked over the specs of both laptops, and they look pretty much identical. The size of the screen and the graphics card are the same for both, so you'll probably get a similar gaming experience out of both. Same RAM, same weight, same number of USB ports...the only major differences I can see is in the storage capacity. The A52 has 320GB and the A53 has 500. If you're going to download a LOT of software, you might find it worth your while to get the A53, especially since you'll get more storage but for the same price (like you mentioned). On the other hand, the A52 has a faster CPU speed (compare 2.13 GHz to 2 GHz), but at the end of the day, the difference is pretty negligible. Most people will tell you that a 2.00 GHz processor is enough, and I tend to agree.

So I'd go with the second one simply based on storage, because aside from that, they're essentially the same computer.

Good luck shopping!
re: I need a new laptop and I don't know where to begin
By forgetxmexnot
On Tue Jun 28, 2011 02:50 PM
Not sure if it'll be helpful to you as they're still definitely not the cheapest computers by any means, but Apple is doing their back to school promotion right now where you get $50-100 off a Mac and a $100 iTunes gift card if you're attached to Macs.

Otherwise, I've actually had a pretty decent experience with Asus so I think you would be making a decent choice with them :)

ReplySendWatch