Forum: Advice / Girls & Guys

New glasses - unsure about fit
By OvertheOcean
On Wed Jun 29, 2011 04:40 PM

So a couple of months ago I got new glasses from Lenscrafters that I was hoping to be able to wear more frequently because my contacts bother me occasionally. It was a super annoying process to get them because the people at Lenscrafters messed up a couple of times. They are plastic frames without nosepieces, which I am not used to.
So my problem is that I'm not sure if they are right for me - I am always paranoid that they are sliding down my nose, which they do a teeny tiny little bit, especially when I sweat or towards the end of the day. I've gone back there to have them tightened several times, which is inconvenient because it is really far away and I can only go when I'm visiting the city. I just feel like they are really loose on my head, and they feel okay when they're tightened but immediately stretch out again.
So is this normal for plastic frames? Is it something I just have to deal with, or are these low quality frames or ones that just don't fit me correctly? I'm not sure if I should get different frames or just deal with these ones. They were really expensive so I don't know what to do.

4 Replies to New glasses - unsure about fit

re: New glasses - unsure about fit
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jun 29, 2011 07:10 PM
Actually, most eyeglass places will do a simply adjustment for free, so if you have someone closer, they usually will do this. I have had all kinds of glasses in the 58 years I have been wearing them...virtually every waking hour. Plastic frame do slip on you nose a bit more easily. The optician should compensate by hooking the bows a bit tighter behind your ears. People with small noses (I'm not one of those) do have more of a problem and an Asian friend of mine with a very flat nose gripes all the time about this.

I'm a little surprised about Lenscrafters. Although I go somewhere else now because of my vision insurance, I dealt with them for many years and they always made things right. I had one frame from them which lasted 13 years (I still have them as a backup) and probably had 5-6 different lens sets in them as my prescription changed. Only fashion changes and the fact that I get an annual frame allowance with my vision insurance caused me to change them.

Jon
By Martha_Cecillemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jul 05, 2011 03:53 AM
I also recommend what Jon said. Go to a place new to you and get them fixed there.
Maybe they also have other ideas how you can deal with the glasses!
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jul 05, 2011 08:38 AM
I've been wearing plastic framed glasses for 10-12 years, and yes, they do slip a little since there's really no way to tighten the nose piece. If you wear them for a few days in a row, you will get used to them.
By Hoosier
On Thu Jul 07, 2011 03:30 PM
I also agree that you could try an optical center closer to home. I have worked in optical for about 5 years and we would never turn anyone away regardless of where the customer purchased their glasses. However, I do know that some opticians don't adjust glasses from other companies without you signing a waiver. All it typically states is that the optician/company is not responsible for any breakage and will not replace your frames if they were to be damaged. That rarely happens though. :) Usually, if you go to the company where you purchased them, they will replace the frames if they accidentally break them during adjustment and they are less than a year old (there are exceptions).

Plastic frames naturally will slide down your nose a bit more than metal frames since there are no plastic or silicone (which I highly recommend for those that wear metal frames and have no silicone allergies, they are so much more comfortable and all you have to do is ask the optician for them as frames usually have plastic ones on them to begin with) nose pads to help hold them up. As said above, they need to be fitted behind the ears a bit more if they are sliding too much for your comfort. There are other slight adjustments that can be made (basically just forming the frames around the head a bit more) but tightening behind the ears is usually the best. The bad news is, they will keep stretching out. Plastic becomes more flexible when heated even a little bit, so as you wear them they begin to get looser and looser. I always would tell patients that if you want plastic frames you may end up coming in for more adjustments than you would with metal frames (again, there are exceptions).

ReplySendWatch