Forum: Advice / GLBT PG-13

GLBT PG-13
raising a kid up in the Catholic Church?
By heartofadancer2 Comments: 48, member since Sun Mar 27, 2011
On Wed Jun 29, 2011 06:41 PM

me and my partner are thinking of having a baby. I would love to raise it Catholic but you know how the Church is. Anyway, my partner said we can just not be gay but I dont think I can do that. I am just trying to think of a way to go around this issue I guess.

4 Replies to raising a kid up in the Catholic Church?

re: raising a kid up in the Catholic Church?
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Wed Jun 29, 2011 06:51 PM
Could you explain more? I can't quite get my head around what the scenario is here. Plus,your partner suggests that you two "stop being gay" so that you can raise a child together in a church? Meaning, no longer be sexual partners? No longer have sexual feelings for the same sex? Or just present yourselves as 'not gay' to the church?

Also, I don't quite get why you want to raise a child Catholic when the only other thing you say about the church is "you know how the church is" and you want to find "a way around it". I don't mean this to say "It's silly to want to do this", but I do want to say that the more specific you are about what you want, what you don't want, what you want to change...if you just want your child to know the basics of the Catholic religion, but don't want to challenge the church with your presence, a solution is to find a catholic god-parent who can take the child to church on Sundays, while you continue that religious education at home. But, I'm not sure if that's really what you want.
By seacaptain Comments: 2111, member since Mon Sep 19, 2005
On Wed Jun 29, 2011 07:46 PM
I completely understand the desire to raise a child with Catholic faith while trying to avoid the Catholic "church" religion. I make the distinction between the faith (intangible) and the church (the parts of the religion created by humans - like the conservative rules.

I think the best way might be to send to Catholic schools but fully vet them first. I went to two fairly liberal Catholic schools. The elementary school i went to focused on bibal stories and "christian values" which were a little wishy-washy (sharing, loving one another as jesus loves you etc.) but much better than the hard line stuff.

The high school i went to had fairly liberal view point too. Never had the "abstinence only" talk, learned evolution in science and Genesis in religion without any discussion of contradiction or one being "right". At the same time there was a strong religious component to the school and the curriculum. (IMO it was perfect!)

If you can find schools like this, I would go that route. otherwise research churches and see which ones have views that sit well with you guys. You can PM me if you have any questions/want more info :) Good luck!
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7575, member since Sat Jan 04, 2003
On Wed Aug 03, 2011 04:47 AM
Wait what?

If you disaprove of the "way the Church is", why raise your kid in? heck, why raise your kid in something you don't believe. Many people will respond saying you can separate the church and the religion of Catholicism, but that doesn't cut it with me. There's a few homophobic references in the bible and on top of that, how many gays have been persectued in the name of the Catholicism? (Not all Catholics are homophobic, but it's definitely prevalent in the community).

Can you please elaborate?
re: raising a kid up in the Catholic Church? (karma: 1)
By Puss_in_Bootsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4517, member since Mon Jun 03, 2002
On Wed Aug 03, 2011 05:30 AM
Didn't you say on another board that you were looking into Wicca? Why would you want to raise your child in a church that you might be leaving?

ReplySendWatch