Forum: Teaching Assistants

Just wanted to share a warm fuzzy :)
By xx_Nicola_w_xx
On Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:24 PM

So.... I have been a TA for a while now and about 2 months ago my SO gave me my own class! They are advanced intermediates from about 10yrs to 12yrs and i teach warm up, hip hop, tap, jazz and then we come together with another class and do musical theatre, Its one day a week for 5 hours and they are all mine! I have total control of warm up, combos and choreography! Bliss! On the information leaflet my email address is on it and it was given out as classes stop over summer as the SO goes away to volunteer through school holiday, just incase anyody needed to contact us about start dates enrollment etc. Anyway, today i was having a TERRIBLE day! It seemed like everything was going wrong and i had the intention of curling up in bed with ice cream and crying until my boyfriend arrived home lol That was until i came home and checked my emails. There was a message from one of my students saying how much she missed class and how she couldnt wait to go back and that she hopes that i will be teaching them again next year and that shes been practising really hard :) Now, this made me very happy! I know my email was not meant to be used for students contacting me but after a day like today it really cheered me up! funny how 1 thing can change your mood!

does anybody have some nice stories to share about how their students cheered them up? :)

10 Replies to Just wanted to share a warm fuzzy :)

re: Just wanted to share a warm fuzzy :)
By dantz_tutu
On Wed Jul 06, 2011 03:22 PM
I had the nicest cards at the end of year recital in June. I am moving after 9 years of being there, and I was very close to the girls. Some of their cards brought me to the point of tears. I'm going to miss my 'babies'!!
By StudioSally
On Wed Jul 06, 2011 08:16 PM
I love the little thing like that. Everytime a parent comes to me and tells me that I am a great influence and have made a difference in their child's life, it brings a tear to my eye. Makes all the hard times worth it.
By dantz_tutu
On Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:32 PM
I know!! I always get nice cards, but this year blew me away!! They were so tender and honest and I got so many little details about how I've helped them or why they love me. *sigh* It's these things that just put the cherry on top of my job! :D
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Thu Jul 07, 2011 05:42 AM
Congratulations on your new, upgraded status!!

I have been teaching over 38 years and have many warm and fuzzies. The one that was the most warm and fuzzy was when a student that I had taught in ballet and other forms, and pushed his mom into taking him to the Joffrey, since he showed so much promise, contacted me, years later.

I had moved away and he lost contact because his family left the school where I taught (issue between the mother and the SO). He said that he had been looking for me, all of these years (no one would give his mom my info, for silly reasons, mind you) and found me by Google and my studio site.

Apparently, he continued at Joffrey, as well as outside for other dance styles. He was accepted into Julliard, later danced with Joffrey and then with a Canadian Ballet company and was a premiere soloist there, now.

He wanted to thank me because I was the one person who motivated him and believed in his dream. He never forgot my words and wanted to thank me for all that I did for him. I sat there and cried. It was so beautiful.

I have seen him dance and he is AMAZING!!!!!

I have others, but this one got to me the most, because of the years past and he never forgot me and felt that I inspired him. OMG, now that always makes me realize how much of an affect we have on these kids and how much influence we really do have.
By xx_Nicola_w_xx
On Thu Jul 07, 2011 06:04 AM
Thank You!

I am MEGA excited about it and cant wait to get back to class after summer!

Dream_chaser, your story is amazing! I hope i can inspire somebody that much that they still remember me and actively seek me out years later! Really shows how good a teacher you were and made an impression on him, it just goes to show what can happen if 1 person believes in you! I stay in scotland so we don't really have a very competetive dance scene really, everyone around here is interested in disco freestyle and not so much the "classic" dances. However, the school i go to is the only 1 in the area which focusses on technique and musical theatre so we are totally unique! We have only been open 5 years and have managed to send 4 people down to london to study (2 to laine theatre arts and 2 to doreen bird) this is unheard of where i stay! So we are extremely proud of everybody from the school and i am very privelledged to know be acknowledged as part of the staff! We draw up a leaflet every year and for going back the new 1 has me in it as a fully stated member of staff! So exciting! I hope to teach for as long as you have, and you can tell you still have a great passion for it!
On Thu Jul 07, 2011 06:34 AM
That is great!! It is nice to know that you work in a wonderful school like that.

When I first owned my school, it was small in a small area, and no one from our area went pro unless they left the area. I used to have to send my more talented students away, when they were ready.

I was happy to, later on, add a pre professional program to my studio and turn out dancers. I have since retired from my school, and teach, but I have so many wonderful memories of teaching talented kids and giving them a good start.

I am part Scottish, by the way. My grandfather was a MacEwen.
By xx_Nicola_w_xx
On Thu Jul 07, 2011 06:42 AM
Yeah we have to send them away too, sad to see them go but worth it in the end! As i said we have only been open 5 years and the 1st boy we sent to london graduates this year and he has managed to land a lead dance role in tarzan the musical in germany! The whole school is going for opening night, well the seniors! We are like a big family that way we only have 15 seniors age 15+ and about 10 intermediates but we have 52 babies! 52 girls under 5! is insane and they have a full night dedicated to them, we couldn't do it in 1 night!

It's a small world! my boyfriends name is MacEwan :s i am glad i found this site looks like i will get some really good advice on here!
On Thu Jul 07, 2011 06:50 AM
Really? OMG, wouldn't that be funny if I was somehow related to him! LOL

You will surely find great advice. I have even met, and made friends with a few people on here, even two came from Holland to visit me!
By rosalinde
On Mon Aug 15, 2011 09:12 AM
That email is so lovely, and what perfect timing too! Enjoy it, print it, frame it -- you know that email is what you deserve!
By live_love_dance4
On Tue Aug 30, 2011 05:39 PM
I assisted a dance camp for a week this summer, and in it were 4 girls that I assisted throughout the year in a jazz and tap class. They are all years old, and at the end of the 'show' on Friday their moms came up to me and said how much their girls loved me, and that they hoped I assisted them again in the year. They also said to let them know if I was ever planning on switching studios because they would follow me. LOL

ReplySendWatch