Forum: Advice / Strengthening

Is this okay for a small strengthening thing to do daily
By CocoTaylor
On Mon Jul 11, 2011 07:49 PM

Ok, so here's what I do.
All I'm asking is if this is ok, maybe what I could change to make it more of a workout etc.
And here it is :)

-50 toe rises on two feet
- 25 on my right foot
- 25 on my left foot

5 sets of squats
( 10 per set)

10 sets of crunches or sit ups
( 10 per set)

2 - 3 sets of press ups
( 10 per set)

Some times a plank for 45 seconds to 1 Min 30 secs

Feel free to use this as your workout if you would like but feed back on it and any changes you think, please tell me

- Thanks guys
-;- Coco Taylor -;-

4 Replies to Is this okay for a small strengthening thing to do daily

re: Is this okay for a small strengthening thing to do daily
By hummingbird
On Mon Jul 11, 2011 08:14 PM
What muscles are you trying to strengthen?

What style of dance are you trying to improve on?

The answers to these questions will mean the world of difference to the answer you get to your own question.
By CocoTaylor
On Mon Jul 11, 2011 09:27 PM
Hey, sorry about that :S

I'm not actually focusing on a muscle group. Just a small exercise to do daily to keep my strength up and to stay in shape.

And its for all the styles I do ( tap, jazz, ballet, contemporary, national, character, modern and hip hop)
But If I were to choose one ballet would be the one I'd probly most need strength for :)
By iPenguin
On Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:19 AM
I've been doing the exact same thing, except I do 100 crunches in sets of 20.

I've definately noticed a difference, so it should be okay for you, too, LOL.
By kenwoodman
On Sat Jul 30, 2011 05:02 PM
In response to what you can do to make it more of a workout, the answer is progression.

As a snapshot of "today I did this" the workout is fine, but the next workout you should do a little more, or a more difficult version of a certain exercise. Let's take the press up (I'm assuming this is the same as a pushup). So you can do 3x10 (3 sets of 10) that's fine, now let's look at how we can make that a little harder. You could add another rep per set, add another set, reduce time between sets, do the last set to failure, increase difficulty of the pushup (elevating feet is the easiest), the list goes on and on. When I was getting back from some time off I did 100 single leg releves on the stairs, slowly, with as few breaks as possible, while keeping perfect form. This allowed me to increase the difficulty each time I did the exercise.

Planks are another great exercise that you can easily up the difficulty. Adding in some instability, alternate lifting arms, or opposite arm and leg, all make add to the difficulty of the plank. The added bonus of this is that you have to resist the torque of your body wanting to twist as you lift an arm or leg. Plank variations are awesomer (yes, I'm going with awesomer) than crunches because they work the core in the way which it is primarily useful, which is spine anti-rotation and anti-flexion which will add to stability for turns and jumps.

I'll cover the squat since I covered the other exercises. A great exercise to work up to is a single leg squat, there are tons of ways to work up to this and there are great guides online. Bodyweight speed squats can be a killer exercise too. You could also warm up to jumping squats to up the difficulty.

It's not hard to make a workout a little harder, and a little more each day will add up.

Good luck.

ReplySendWatch