Forum: Irish / Irish - Softshoe

Tips for breaking in my Hullachan softshoes? (also, where to buy poodle socks in bulk?)
By reeldancer123
On Wed Jul 13, 2011 03:09 PM

Im not very sure how to break them in properly..Ive seen some tips around the site but I cant remember any of them!

Also, where can I buy poodle socks in bulk? I know Celtic Creations sells some, but I can order from them because they are on break or something, and I need some new socks soon.

8 Replies to Tips for breaking in my Hullachan softshoes? (also, where to buy poodle socks in bulk?)

re: Tips for breaking in my Hullachan softshoes? (also, where to buy poodle socks in bulk?)
By new2champs
On Wed Jul 13, 2011 08:50 PM
Edited by new2champs (215486) on 2011-07-13 20:51:56
I'm not to sure about other people, but I do NOT ever want to break in my soft shoes. Whenever I get a new pair I like the very first time to wear them to be on stage. New, never-stretched leather gives a look of extension that I love the look and feel of.

I actually have a pair of 'competition' shoes and a pair of 'practice' shoes (soft of course.....it takes me FOREVER to break in hard shoes). My competition pair are only worn on stage and they are almost like new. Just the way I like it(:

Again, this may jut be me and everyone else may always break in their soft shoes. Not sure. But this is what I do!

Good luck.

EDIT: Sorry forgot about the other half of the post! I know nothing about ordering socks......I'm sorry!
re: Tips for breaking in my Hullachan softshoes? (also, where to buy poodle socks in bulk?)
By reeldancer123
On Wed Jul 13, 2011 08:53 PM
new2champs wrote:

I'm not to sure about other people, but I do NOT ever want to break in my soft shoes. Whenever I get a new pair I like the very first time to wear them to be on stage. New, never-stretched leather gives a look of extension that I love the look and feel of.

I need to, because the leather is a little stiff, I went to dance and barely made it through softshoe! lol
By new2champs
On Wed Jul 13, 2011 09:05 PM
Ah, well all I would tell you to do is....DANCE(: the more you dance and they mold to your feet, the better they will feel.

You wouldn't want them to stretched-out to fast, but if it a little stiff I'd just dance and work them with your hands. Just a couple minutes of pulling and twisting would get that newness right outta them.
By irish_dancer6Premium member
On Thu Jul 14, 2011 07:41 AM
I find that my soft shoes take forever to break in. what I do is put on an old pair of socks and then my soft shoes, and stick my feet in the shower. I only wet the parts that I want to stretch out (normally over the big toe) and walk around the house in them until they are compleatly dry, that way they mold to your feet. If you take them off before they are dry, they will shrink back to their origional size. Hope this helps!
By irishreel
On Sat Jul 30, 2011 05:14 PM
I am trying this method with my new Hullachans. I am doing it with graduality but I have not tryied the shoes yet because I am injured. But I think it will work. :)
By sistazippy
On Sat Aug 27, 2011 05:38 PM
We found out that if you stand in hot water with them on and put conditioner on them...they will stretch.I just did it today and it works!

Hope this helped! :D
By onegirlbandmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:19 PM
I do NOT recommend putting new shoes in water. I have found the best way to break in Hullachans is to wear them.

I start off by just wearing them around the house for as long as I can manage. When they are very new it is usually 20min or less. I do this a couple times a day, for about 2-3 days.

Gradually they will stretch enough for me to start walking around in them on my toes. When I can do that with some level of comfort I take them to dance class and do my warm-up in them.

After a warm-up or two I find that I can wear them longer and longer. It is the heat and sweat combined with the shape and pressure from your foot that is going to break them in.

If you want them as competition shoes, I would stop at this point and put them in your feis bag. Otherwise, your shoes are good to go!
By Weraides
On Thu Aug 27, 2020 05:45 AM
Hi, thanks a lot for sharing this wonderful information with me. I was looking online for some grammarly review as I wanted to use their app. I would like to ask if you guys know about them please tell me.

ReplySendWatch