Forum: General / Modern / Modern Dance - General

Erm Modern?
By hannicamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:58 PM

Hi everyone!

After being able to try a modern class while the girls in my ballet class where changiing into their costumes, I found I loved it!

At my current studio they teach modern,but I have no idea what kind of modern.

The studio I may be moving to after christmas teaches ISTDA and Graham. Just what is ISTDA?

4 Replies to Erm Modern?

re: Erm Modern?
By hummingbird
On Tue Jul 26, 2011 04:42 PM
ISTD is a dance organisation like the RAD, the A at the end will mean the teacher has their associate teachers exam.

If they're doing ISTD Modern it's not going to be Graham, Cunningham, Limon or Horton it's going to be Modern Stage dance and that's Jazz.
By Laura_H1996
On Thu Jul 28, 2011 02:40 PM
ISTD is a exam board. ISTD stands for 'The Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing' and is the worlds leading dance board. Personally I have been using ISTD for 10 years in ballet, tap and modern :)
By hannicamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:56 AM
Well because the new studio divides us by age, Ill be in the older group that takes graham and ISTDA. This isn't going to course confusion is it? Like in ballet they call different positions different things in the other methods. Sorry I really don't know much about modern apart from it looks fun. I do know the different methods but thats about it. Is it normal for dance schools/studios to combine two different methods like that?
By hummingbird
On Sat Jul 30, 2011 09:12 PM
It's not so much that they call steps different names, it's more a whole different style and quality to the movements, how they approach the warm up and what steps are emphasised in a class that makes Modern techniques differ from each other.

ReplySendWatch