Popular Teachers

Help guide those special dancers toward a professional career with this essential guide. by adamdance25
Finding success as a professional dancer requires so much more than great technique and performance...

Forum: Adults / Work/Employment

Work/Employment
Taking on extra work? (Emergency--24 hours) en>fr fr>en
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6043, member since Tue Dec 20, 2005
On Sun Jul 17, 2011 01:37 PM

For the past 2 years, I've been an Assistant Teacher at a ballet studio for little kids, and I LOVE it. I also started working at Old Navy a year ago, which is nice for the summer when the studio doesn't have as many classes for me to assist.

This fall, I was set up to assist 3 classes on Thursdays, 2 classes on Fridays, and then I'd planned on giving 1 or 2 Saturdays a month to Old Navy. I had roughly the same schedule last fall, and it worked out just fine. But an hour ago, my boss at the studio emailed me and said she's in desperate need of a teacher for Saturday mornings, as well as a hostess for the birthday parties we offer.

Pros:
-BIG increase in pay, since I'd be a Teacher. Like, almost double what I make as an Assistant.
-I love this job so so much. I'd rather have more hours here than more hours at Old Navy.

Cons:
-Possibly burning myself out. I'd have to wake up at 7 AM every Saturday through December to teach, and if there were a birthday party scheduled directly after my classes, I'd be working almost straight through from 9 AM-4 PM.

The only thing I'm nervous about is the stress, because I could see myself getting worn out by those hours. But I'm wondering if it's something I could adjust to, or if I'm just plain underestimating myself. And is it not worth worrying about that if I'm getting paid much more to do a job I really love? I also really don't want to let my boss down here, and I know she would think a lot more highly of me if I took these classes on.

Gahhh. I'm going to talk to my parents about this too, but I really need opinions here. Halp? :?

19 Replies to Taking on extra work? (Emergency--24 hours)

re: Taking on extra work? (Emergency--24 hours) en>fr fr>en
By ballerinatwirler Comments: 2058, member since Sat May 29, 2004
On Sun Jul 17, 2011 01:56 PM
I would personally take the job. I think the pros outweigh the cons.
By hummingbird Comments: 8394, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun Jul 17, 2011 02:02 PM
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2011-07-17 14:06:55 Forgot one bit.
How many classes is it likely to be and are they all really going to take place?

Dance studios are a bit notorious for grand schemes that don't always come off because the expected kids don't always register or give up, move house... Are these established classes? If they are then it's something I would go for over a retail position but then that's just me.

Teaching is like any other new job, it's stressful to start off with but once you get into the routine the stress wears off a bit. I'm speaking with recent experience on this one :) I started as a Pilates instructor last year and I would get so nervous and stressed each morning I had to teach my Pilates lessons I would make myself sick. I now just look upon it in the same light as my dance classes, I make my plan and fit in as much as I can

You've given yourself two pro's and only one con and you have experience as an assistant, this means it's going to be easier to take over as a teacher because you've been watching the job being done for two years.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 33911, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sun Jul 17, 2011 03:31 PM
You'll eventually get a job working 9-4 anyway, or even longer (Jim is an engineer, and routinely works 9-7!), so putting out that the possibility of working 9-4 blows is kind of a flimsy argument.

I think it sounds great - it's doing what you want, judging by the last time I stopped in the VCDT you weren't all that happy at Old Navy anyway, and as ^ pointed out, you've only got one con, and it's kind of a weak one at that. Do it!
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17056, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Sun Jul 17, 2011 03:43 PM
9-4 isn't even a full working day, so I don't think it would exhaust you as much as you think it would.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6373, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Sun Jul 17, 2011 03:56 PM
Go for it!!! You are in college right? It sucks getting up early I know, but you will feel so much more productive waking up, going to work, then you have the rest of the day to chill/study. You will get used to it. I would totally go for it. You already weren't thrilled with ON...this is the open door you have been looking for I just know it!
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16208, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Sun Jul 17, 2011 04:18 PM
You already have it in your head that you could get "worn out" by working these hours so I am thinking that is what you are going to set yourself up for. Your attitude is what will make or break you being successful in this job. You sound like you are dreading waking up every Saturday at 7:00 AM (which I can understand at your age), but again if you are setting yourself up for the fact that is going to be an inconvenience it will be.

Know going into this that calling in sick or trying to get a sub on Saturdays at the dance studio will be next to impossible. That is why the studio owner is desperate to hire someone for those hours. Not many people are jumping at the chance to teach at that time or those kind of classes. That is a big thing especially if you want to go out late late late on Fridays, go away for the weekend, etc. It takes someone that is dedicated to those kids and wants to be there every week and most of all PREPARED for class to pull this off.

I think you can do it, it sounds like you enjoy teaching, obviously the money will be better, but are you willing to give up some things to make this happen? Only you can decide that.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 7996, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Sun Jul 17, 2011 04:34 PM
I am a dance teacher who used to work on Saturdays. I would start work 8-12+ Nutcracker rehearsals on the weekends. ( this was on top of regular teaching over the week). I honestly don't think that 9-4 is bad at all. Right now, I work 9AM-8PM on Fridays, and as long as I get a good nights sleep the night before, it isn't too bad.

You would have to limit yourself to not drinking on Friday nights as much, so you don't have a hangover. It takes A LOT Of dedication to be a weekend teacher, but it was personally worth it for me.

Personally, I think you are way to young to be talking about "burning out". You're only in your 20's! I know plenty of people our age who work full time, go to college, and are raising families. When I hear of people burning out and being tired, I imagine 60 year olds. Right now you are in your prime and I think you should totally go for it!
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 6832, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Sun Jul 17, 2011 04:41 PM
My unpaid internship goes 8:30-6. At first I was nervous I wouldn't have the energy to do those long days while going to graduate school full time (I go to school two days and intern 3 days a week), but I found it actually wasn't that bad because it was something I liked and the days were busy. I've had past full day internships that were really boring and the worse was my job in the library. I never worked more then 4 hours at a time and I was exhausted by the end because it was so brainless and boring with no social interaction. If its something you like doing, the day will go by fast.
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6043, member since Tue Dec 20, 2005
On Sun Jul 17, 2011 06:06 PM
Ahhh thank you, everyone! I knew I would get solid advice here. I'd forgotten that this past spring semester, I got up at 5:30 or 6 most Saturday mornings to judge forensics tournaments, so 7 AM won't really be as much of a stretch as I thought it would. I also asked myself what would happen if I didn't go ahead and take the Saturday morning classes, and I think that just about sealed it for me--nothing would get worse, but nothing would improve either.

Still have to talk to my parents tonight and see what they think, but I'm thinking I'll probably end up doing it. :)
By aerial Comments: 1146, member since Sun Sep 02, 2001
On Sun Jul 17, 2011 06:37 PM
1 day out of SEVEN that you have to get up at SEVEN. I used to work 4a.m. to 4p.m. usually getting off late like hours late. That sucked. Not trying to be rude but if you can't handle one day a week at 7 a.m. I have no idea how you are going to hold up in the real adult job world in a couple of years. If stress is an issue take it, in the grand scheme it is really a small amount of stress compared to what you will be in for eventually and you can use it to build your stress tolerance level up. Good luck.
On Sun Jul 17, 2011 06:56 PM
aerial wrote:

Not trying to be rude but if you can't handle one day a week at 7 a.m. I have no idea how you are going to hold up in the real adult job world in a couple of years.

I just wrote:

I got up at 5:30 or 6 most Saturday mornings to judge forensics tournaments, so 7 AM won't really be as much of a stretch as I thought it would.
By Emmamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6897, member since Mon Nov 29, 2004
On Tue Jul 19, 2011 05:04 PM
I've done high activity jobs before, so I know it's possible, and you do get used to it, but the break-in period is tough.

I think you should definitely go for it, because if you think of it this way:

Scenario #1 status quo
Scenario #2 teaching & hostess.

#1 = easier, same money, but no "upgrade" for a cv

#2 = "I worked at job "A" for a while, then my boss promoted me. Promotion might look better than moved from one job to a higher position of same type of job in another institution, you know?

I know you've sort of made your decision by now, but I wanted to add...
On Tue Jul 19, 2011 08:56 PM
Well, things have gone a little...differently than I thought. Apparently, when my boss asked me if I wanted to start teaching, she simultaneously emailed another Assistant who's been in Europe for the past year. The result of doing that (rather than asking one of us and waiting for an answer; it kind of irks me that she didn't just do that) is that both of us said yes.

So my boss called me to ask what I thought about co-teaching the classes, where each of us would teach one class while the other assists, and then for the third one we'll split it down the middle (one does barre work, one does center, etc.). The more I thought about it, the more I really wanted to teach those classes, and I feel I've worked hard the last few years to earn them, while this other Assistant has been out of the picture. But I didn't want to sound selfish, so I didn't say anything...and now we'll be co-teaching, as well as hostessing. I would absolutely rather have that than nothing at all, I just wish I'd been more honest with my boss right off the bat. :? Anyway, that's the situation now.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5039, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:12 AM
CienPorCientoPAZ wrote:

Well, things have gone a little...differently than I thought. Apparently, when my boss asked me if I wanted to start teaching, she simultaneously emailed another Assistant who's been in Europe for the past year. The result of doing that (rather than asking one of us and waiting for an answer; it kind of irks me that she didn't just do that) is that both of us said yes.

So my boss called me to ask what I thought about co-teaching the classes, where each of us would teach one class while the other assists, and then for the third one we'll split it down the middle (one does barre work, one does center, etc.). The more I thought about it, the more I really wanted to teach those classes, and I feel I've worked hard the last few years to earn them, while this other Assistant has been out of the picture. But I didn't want to sound selfish, so I didn't say anything...and now we'll be co-teaching, as well as hostessing. I would absolutely rather have that than nothing at all, I just wish I'd been more honest with my boss right off the bat. :? Anyway, that's the situation now.

Co-teaching isn't bad at all. I did it for a year. We had one combo class of tap/ballet/jazz. Co-teacher did ballet, I did tap and we both did jazz.

As for the hostessing, you will probably be glad to have another teacher there too.

Has the SO/Boss, figured out how much to pay for this? Are you both going to get the assistant rate or the teacher rate? Just curious.
On Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:44 AM
I've co-taught before and it was a great experience. I got to see another teachers teaching style and I applied those things to my individual classes.

It might benefit you as a teacher to see another teacher teach.
On Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:34 AM
majere wrote:

Has the SO/Boss, figured out how much to pay for this? Are you both going to get the assistant rate or the teacher rate? Just curious.

Sort of both. My boss said she's done this once before with 2 other teachers, and she just combined the Assistant rate ($10/hour) with the Teacher rate ($18/hour), split it down the middle ($14/hour), and paid each of them that way. So it's still definitely an increase from what I make now, and my boss said she'll be giving me a $1 raise as an Assistant as well.

I'm sure it'll turn out to be fine, and I'd still rather co-teach than not have these classes at all. It's just that the more I thought about the situation, the more I didn't really want to co-teach, and the more I felt that I've worked very hard to earn my own classes. I just wish I'd stuck up for myself a little bit better now. But so goes teaching, I guess.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6250, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:49 AM
Will you be taking a full load college course e.g. somewhere around 15 credits? I typically worked 15 hours per week during college (and full time during summers) but my on-campus job was with a department (Art History at the UW) where I could schedule work during the gaps between classes. It also depends upon how efficient you are for your study during the week. I will confess that I did precious little study on weekends until Sunday nights.
[Some might say I did precious little study period!] If you are good at time management you should be OK. I did grad school full loads working full time at a professional level job (admittedly I was ten years older than my undergrad years.)

Jon
On Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:21 PM
Another benefit of co teaching is that if you ever get sick, your classes are still covered! That was one of the biggest perks of having a coteacher for me.
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16208, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Fri Jul 22, 2011 07:57 PM
^^That would be the ONLY benefit to me. I HATED co-teaching and I've done it twice. Maybe it is because I really like running my own class and have my vision of how things should be taught and the overall flow. I'd be gritting my teeth when the person I was teaching with was teaching things I didn't think my students were ready for or were just flat out inappropriate or unnecessary. Choreographing with another person was a total nightmare and I like to have lesson plans that flow from week to week and that is hard with another person especially if their vision is different than yours.

The person I co-taught with also said she'd never co-teach again. She had her own studio at one time and I'd been teaching so many years it was really really challenging. Maybe when I was younger it would have been a gift, but not after I had run the show for so many years.

ReplySendWatch