Forum: Welcome

sort of new to teaching! :)
By Marelie
On Mon Jul 18, 2011 09:08 PM

Hi everyone!
I'm new to this forum although I've been reading a few threads over the last couple days.
I'm a young dancer (just finished my undergrad, I'm going to teacher's college next year) but I sort of have one year of experience in teaching dance since I taught when I was in grade 12. Looking back however I realize I shouldn't have been teaching way back then because I knew nothing compared to now.
So it's a new beginning for me, and this time I feel more prepared having all the knowledge learned in university: anatomy, kinesiology, basic knowledge in dance injuries and how to prevent/take care of them, and even some knowledge in normal motor learning and motor control as it relates to dance... that plus my daily technique classes over 4 years, with occasional opportunities to "practice teaching" in my modern and ballet classes, and a course about teaching little ones. I also think my various courses this coming year in teacher's college will help me with pedagogy issues.

I'm really excited and can't wait for September to be here! Meanwhile I'll be preparing my lessons (we don't really have a syllabus at the studio I'll be teaching) and so you'll probably hear from me over the summer as various questions and issues arise.

I think that's it for now...

Happy dancing! :)

3 Replies to sort of new to teaching! :)

re: sort of new to teaching! :)
By Triskitmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:44 PM
Welcome to the board and good luck with your new venture. This is a great place to get advice :)
By MissSharon73
On Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:25 PM
Welcome aboard!! Ask away....We are a wise and supportive bunch ;)
By hummingbird
On Wed Jul 20, 2011 08:42 PM
Welcome to the boards, we have so many knowledgeable members here I know you'll find your time enlightening.

ReplySendWatch