Forum: Ballet / Advanced & Professional Ballet

Advanced & Professional Ballet
A wonderful program for young professional dancers
By hummingbird Comments: 10418, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:04 AM

I'm staying for a few days in the beautiful town of Banff, just before we arrived I checked out the local arts centre events and found that there was some ballet on. I booked tickets for my daughter and myself to see a really nice varied program of Balanchine, Ashton, Bejart and some new works.

There was a talk before the performance that explained that the whole event was for young dancers either in their first few years of the job, still at or just graduating from college. The idea is to give them an opportunity to work with choreographers and to work with pieces that are less well used at the moment.

There were two highlights of the evening a new work called Uprooted by Gioconda Barbuto, this piece was strong, well rehearsed and had a wonderful organic quality to it and the pas de deux from Sonate No 5 by Bejart the two dancers were lovely and really had the quirky side of this piece to perfection.

The dancers came from all over North America and if you can get an invitation to this program it's really worth the time and effort.

I've put in a link to a review about the performances too, for the large part I agree with what's written.
www.calgaryherald.com . . .

1 Replies to A wonderful program for young professional dancers

re: A wonderful program for young professional dancers
By noachkamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2116, member since Mon Jun 20, 2005
On Sun Jul 24, 2011 02:20 PM
Very cool! I will look into it for the near future, thanks for sharing with us :D

ReplySendWatch