Forum: Competitions

Not enough kids for a senior competition team....
By MissAshleyRose
On Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:29 AM

Hi Everyone!

So I run the competition team at a small studio. Usually I only have 4 or 5 girls in the senior group but this year I only have 2 left.....I do not have any juniors I want to move up nor do I have any other older students I want to put in....can I keep them alone and just give them a couple duets and solos??
Advice?
Thanks!

13 Replies to Not enough kids for a senior competition team....

re: Not enough kids for a senior competition team....
By MissAlice
On Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:36 AM
I think that sounds like the best idea since you do not feel like your younger students are able to move up yet. You don't want to discourage the older dancers by having them do easier moves and choreography instead of pushing them to grow! Maybe you could do one big group number with all of your teams so they would have a group number this year?
By missliz404
On Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Yes, definately. Quality over quantity, always.

You always want your younger/lower level ones to have something to work for, in terms of moving up.
By Jassi
On Sun Jul 24, 2011 01:47 PM
I would agree keeping them together on the senior level and giving them solos/duets. I do however love the idea of doing one large number with everyone. It gives the younger girls the chance to dance with the 'big girls' and challenge them but also gives the senior level girls a chance to be leaders. You can do sections that highlights them as to show strengths. If they complain... why are we dancing with the babies or whatever explain that it should be an opportunity for them to lead. You expect them to help develop the younger girls. If they are going off to college other dance programs next year THEY will be the young one again. Hopefully that puts it in perspective.

Good Luck!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jul 24, 2011 01:49 PM
Yes, do it. Almost all of our competition groups this past year were small. I think our biggest was our junior tap, at a whopping FIVE dancers. :O

Load 'em up with dances, and keep them going.
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Sun Jul 24, 2011 03:41 PM
That happened to me, here and there. One year our junior level had three kids and our senior and younger were huge. So, it was all trios for that age group, that year, and they kicked butt at competitions.
By J1ll
On Sun Jul 24, 2011 06:40 PM
Can you afford to run a class with only 2 students? As a senior level I'm assuming they come multiple times/week.
If you can afford it I say do it. If not then pull up just a few Jr girls that are almost there and maybe require 1 semi private/month to catch them up?
By StudioSally
On Mon Jul 25, 2011 03:31 AM
I agree. Solos and duets. I had to do this many times when I was just starting my competition group.

Good Luck!
By RileyA
On Mon Jul 25, 2011 05:40 AM
I would go with the Duo and Solo's option. Then perhaps you could also do a large combined item with older and younger dancers to allow them to be a part of the group side of things too.
By DaDancingPsych
On Mon Jul 25, 2011 06:50 AM
J1ll wrote:

Can you afford to run a class with only 2 students? As a senior level I'm assuming they come multiple times/week.
If you can afford it I say do it. If not then pull up just a few Jr girls that are almost there and maybe require 1 semi private/month to catch them up?

This might be a case where it is fine to loose some money. You want there to be something for younger students to aspire to become. If you move those younger students into the higher level, they are already there. No reason to work hard or even continue with dance. While I think you do need to be budget conscious, I would approach the decision with all factors in mind.

But I do agree, nothing wrong with solos and duets.
By MissAshleyRose
On Tue Jul 26, 2011 08:11 PM
Thanks everyone! i better get to work on some kick butt duos now =)

i asked my boss about the losing money on a 2 person class thing but she agrees its important to push them on their level and have the little ones be able to look up to them.
Thanks for all the advice!
By brynneth
On Sun Aug 28, 2011 03:38 PM
My competition team (first year) is ONE girl lol... just one. But she will just be competing solos... obviously lol.
By PMDDancer89
On Mon Sep 05, 2011 08:09 PM
I agree. I think that if you really feel that there are no other students that could dance with them then a couple of great duos and solos would be the best solution.
By dancer56783
On Wed Oct 12, 2011 08:43 AM
If you feel that there is no other option use solos/duets that way the 2 girls that are left still have the opportunity to compete

ReplySendWatch