Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Chest x-ray tomorrow, I'm so scared!! :(
By FanciieeFeetmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:03 PM

I wen't to see my doctor again today as I am still having problems with chest infections and stuff. I have many posts on here about this (sorry) but basically the chest infection I had first went away after the course of antibiotics I had, well I still had the cough but it was barely noticeable. Then two weeks later the cough was getting worse but I just ignored it. Then by the weekend I was feeling really unwell again,( tired, chest pain when I cough) so I thought I better go see the Dr again.

She has given me another course of antibiotics, this time stronger and for 7 days instead of 5. She has also sent me for a chest x-ray tomorrow and I am so scared. I am worried that this is more than just a chest infection and the Dr hasn't told me. I know i shouldn't be scared but I have never had one before and I don't want to have something seriously wrong with me. I was also diagnosed with asthma back in mid-may and this all started in June, even though the inhalers have really helped me and I hardly ever have to use the reliever anymore I am wondering if its not asthma at all but something bigger??

17 Replies to Chest x-ray tomorrow, I'm so scared!! :(

re: Chest x-ray tomorrow, I'm so scared!! :(
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:14 PM
What's the worst that's going to happen if it IS something else? They'll treat you, and you'll go on about your normal life?

Why is that scary?

The way I look at it, this isn't anything to be scared of - you've been sick and using DDN to diagnose you for a long time. The fact that you're getting in for a chest x-ray means your doctor is taking you seriously, and trying to get to the bottom of the problem. That's not scary - heck, that's good news.

Relax.
By TuniePremium member
On Mon Jul 25, 2011 01:15 PM
^ What she said.

This is a good thing. It is one step closer to diagnosing you and getting you better.

You've had x-rays before right? They tie a big heavy thing around your waist to protect other parts of your body, you put your arms up, hold your breath for a few seconds, and then you are done. Quick, easy, painless, I promise.

Definitely not scary. This is good. You will be fine :). I hope that this x-ray helps them figure out what's up.
By Trout
On Mon Jul 25, 2011 03:15 PM
I remember replying to an earlier thread and I wondered why your Dr hadn't done a chest xray yet. This is way overdue, in my opinion.

Chest xrays are fast and simple. They'll have you put on a gown and a lead apron around your waist and you'll stand in front of an xray plate. They'll level the machine with your chest, you'll hear a noise as the picture is taken, and that's it. They might have you stand in a few different positions (shoulders forward, shoulders back) but the whole process should take less than 10 minutes.

I've had a couple of chest xrays done to me when I had terrible coughs. I had pneumonia one of those times but with antibiotics it resolved really quickly. It's really not a scary process at all and hopefully it will shed some light on what's happening with you.

Chest xrays are actually pretty common, which is why I'm surprised the Dr hasn't done one yet. Don't worry about it. The doctor isn't hiding anything from you, they are doing this test to see what they can see.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Mon Jul 25, 2011 03:26 PM
If we were taking bets, I'd say bronchitis. Why? Because over the past 3 weeks I've gone through the exact same thing: upper respiratory infection, antibiotics, cough gets worse, get put on stronger antibiotics, the a chest xray to make sure it's not pneumonia. Same thing, and thankfully I just finished my 7 day meds and feel a lot better.

X-rays are nothing to be scared of...they're perhaps the most boring of all medical procedures to be honest. I had mine taken just under a week ago, and from checking in to checking out I was there for 20 minutes. The procedure took 5, including changing into the gown. You don't feel anything, and it's actually kind of cool if they can let you see the images!

If it's something bigger (like I said bronchitis is a possibility) then they'll know how to treat it better. The chances of it being something that is really scary is very low--there are many run-of-the-mill things that could be explaining this and all of them are far more likely than anything life changing.

You'll be fine, seriously. If you want to commiserate the awfulness of having a cough that doesn't go away for weeks, let me know: I understand the misery.
On Tue Jul 26, 2011 08:04 AM
Well I had it done, it was a lot quicker than I thought and the lady was very nice. The picture came up instantly on the screen and she was showing it to my mum, she didn't say that there was anything wrong but they will send it to my Dr and she will let me know if its ok. Still not sure if I have anything to worry about but I will have to wait and see.
By Caulfieldmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jul 26, 2011 08:35 AM
I know how difficult it is to wait for test results. I've had more than my fair share of x-rays for both my scoliosis and chronic chest pains, but they always come soon enough. If there's anything I've taken away from being a hypochondriac, it's that worrying won't change the results. Trust me, it's not time to worry...and in all likelihood, the time to worry won't even come.

Just remember that anxiety can heighten symptoms like craaaazy. When I started experiencing chest pains last year, I would sit and stew over their origins for an unnecessary amount of time. Was it an impending heart attack? Cancer? Heart disease? All of this worrying made the pain get worse and worse and worse - until the x-ray and EKG results came back and showed me it's nothing physical. Then poof! The pain dissipated almost overnight. Now, your situation is a bit different because we're dealing with a physical illness, but worrying really can make everything feel ten times worse than they really are. The mind is a powerful, powerful instrument.

So go take a bubble bath, read a favourite book, or something to relax and keep your mind off of the waiting. What will be will be. :)
On Tue Jul 26, 2011 02:05 PM
I know I should try not to worry but I can't help it. Surely if it had been something serious someone would have told me by now?
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jul 26, 2011 02:42 PM
Chests are funny things. Take that from someone working on a respiratory ward. We have patients coming in with mostly pneumonia, chest infections and COPD. We pump them with IV antibiotics and send them home, sometimes this cures things, sometimes they return and need more. It just depends on the infection and the person.

A chest xray is not all that bad. Its painless and quick. You should have your results during the day.

Considering your age and occupation I would rule out a fair few disease processes, although stranger things can happen, I am guessing its either pneumonia, bronchitis or something of the likes. If oral antibiotics are not making a difference I suggest you ask for IV. Its a pain as it means hospitalisation but seriously you can't go on being poorly like this.

By the way what has the doc had you on already? Amoxicillin and Clarithromycin or something of the likes? Usually the most common AB's are broad spectrum which means they treat a variety of infections, not just those aimed at chests. I would push for them to take a sputum sample (if you can produce one) to find out what bacteria are lurking there. You can then have an AB aimed specifically at that bacteria.

Get better soon xx
On Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:14 AM
Thanks for your support guys, I am feeling a little better and I have to ring the surgery tomorrow to see if my doctor has my x-ray back. I'm really nervous about it though, I know that if it had been really serious I would have been contacted by now as I had the x-ray on Tuesday but I still can't help but worry...
By Vibrations
On Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:27 AM
X-Rays are not necessarily a bad thing. At least the Dr. will finally know what is (or isn't) there and actually take steps to help you get well in the event that there may be something. Try not to worry too much. My daughter was experiencing chest pains not long ago and we had x-rays done for her. Turned out that all that pain was congestion build up from certain modern dance moves she had been doing that were affecting here chest and breast areas (cannot remember the medical term for it). She got medication and a week later she was fine.

Please keep us informed :)
On Fri Jul 29, 2011 08:21 AM
Well I rang the surgery and the Doctor said she doesn't have the x-ray back yet and it could take up to 10 days from when I had it done. So its a weekend of worrying for me...

reel_faerie85- I am taking amoxicillin ( i think that is how its spelt) and it is really working, so fingers crossed I won't need IV.
By Trout
On Fri Jul 29, 2011 04:30 PM
If oral antibiotics are not making a difference I suggest you ask for IV. Its a pain as it means hospitalization but seriously you can't go on being poorly like this.

That's not a good idea. No doctor will admit you to a hospital because you think you should be there. If you're not needing hospital intervention (like an IV) to stay alive, you don't need to be in a hospital. Hospital stays really disrupt your life. It's totally unnecessary in this situation.

That's too bad it's taking them so long to get back to you with the chest xray results. Don't worry about it, though. Worrying won't solve anything. If your antibiotics are working it was probably just a nasty infection and you will be just fine.
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jul 30, 2011 02:49 AM
10 days for an X-Ray result? WTF...
On Sun Jul 31, 2011 06:50 AM
poko- thats what I thought, the image even comes straight up on the screen after they have taken the x-ray. They don't even have to wait for it to be developed. It just annoyed me because I don't want to wait around, worrying about the results.

I am feeling a lot better now, I have been taking the stronger antibiotics for 6 days, I have one day left and I am barely coughing at all. I am just incredibly tired. So I am hoping that all I needed was more antibiotics and that the results will come back clear.
By kandykanePremium member
On Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:09 AM
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2011-07-31 10:11:15
If something bad was going on, you'd have heard by now. It takes so long to get the results because the X-ray tech is not allowed to interpret the X-ray. A radiologist has to do that. Often the radiologist is not in the same building so it has to be sent by courier to the radiologist. It's safe to say, the radiologist has probably already seen it and now the pictures are spending the weekend laying on someone's desk waiting for the courier to pick them up and deliver them to your doctor so she can call you or send you a letter with the results. This is common practice.

You can call your doctor next week and ask if they have seen the results, they may know by then and will tell you but you still won't get your letter for a few more days. But really, if it was bad, they'd be on top of it. So, just be a patient patient. No news is good news.

Glad you are feeling better!

kk~
On Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:35 AM
Well I got the results today and the x-ray came back all clear which I am really happy about. I am feeling so much better and my cough is like completely gone so fingers crossed I will be OK now. The only thing is I am feeling really tired, I'm hoping that its just because I have been ill so long and it was go soon.
By Katherine1
On Thu Jun 24, 2021 03:13 PM
Edited by Katherine1 (350047) on 2021-06-24 15:16:27
Hey, you need not worry about these tests. Nowadays with the advent of technology, the machines are such that you do not even feel that the machine is taking your body X-ray. The best website for the purchase of these products and x-ray wheels is this which I am recommending to you.

ReplySendWatch