Popular Ballet

RAD Exams Unfair - How privilegdly asessed RAD teachers' children? by DuckyK1
Hello Dancers, Having finished few RAD vocational exams, I was wondering how fair/unfair those...

Forum: Adults / Work/Employment

Work/Employment
Looking for full time work - where to begin? en>fr fr>en
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15165, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:17 PM

I have a journalism degree and intern with a non-profit art organization that I ADORE. Ideal circumstances would be that they are going to hire me after my internship but chances of that I think are pretty slim only because they do not have the money to hire me. I adore the place and would love to work at a similar organization but every other place I've looked into around here isn't hiring. I don't really care to do anything with my journalism degree.

So where do I start? I've looked at a lot of online job websites like CareerBuilder and Monster but everything that is entry level relates to Sales and if I know one thing, it's that I do not want to be in sales. At all.

Thoughts? Ideas? Advice? Where does one start when they are looking for their first full time job?

4 Replies to Looking for full time work - where to begin?

re: Looking for full time work - where to begin? en>fr fr>en
By Hoosier Comments: 90, member since Wed Jul 06, 2011
On Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:44 PM
I'm not sure where you live, but does the government have a website where jobs are posted? Where I am they have one, however there aren't a ton of jobs posted daily. There's a lot less of the spammy stuff though.

Do you live near a university where you could get a job in the art department or art museum (of course if art is the main reason why you like the organization ;) )?

Craigslist posts a lot of jobs, though there are tons of scammy things on there that you have to sift through. I think the best luck I've had is looking through the classifieds of a local newspaper. They usually post them online which is very convenient!

Good luck and I hope you find something you enjoy soon!
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 14365, member since Mon Aug 11, 2003
On Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:46 PM
Many companies post openings on their websites, so check that out for any company that interests you.

There's also good, old USAJobs.gov but there are a bunch of hiring freezes and whatnot going on, so that's kind of slow going at the moment. I'm hoping that a few things get through once the fiscal year starts over but only time will tell.

Networking is a big thing...I got my first full-time job after school because I drove a moron I used to date to an employment agency. I spoke to one of the women in there and mentioned that I needed a job as well; she offered me one almost on the spot. See who you know that knows somebody, knows about some company, etc.

I know a few people who had luck at "career fairs" or whatever they call them where you are. The classifieds in the local paper can provide some leads as well.
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25792, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Mon Jul 25, 2011 03:22 PM
I had a lot of luck with CareerBuilder. I got 6 or 7 recruiting calls off there. Of course, I also had several financial licenses so my experience might not be the norm.

There are several non-profit specific job boards. I've heard good things about opportunityknocks.org and idealist.org. Those might be a better place to start since that's the experience you have right now.
By MovinTooFastPremium member Comments: 1343, member since Mon Aug 22, 2005
On Mon Jul 25, 2011 05:22 PM
I would try going to a recruitment office if there's one near you. I just went to one today for similar reasons as you, and they did computer tests with me and then sent my name off to some companies. Surprisingly, one replied right away and now I have an interview with them tomorrow. Another good thing is that even if I don't get this job, they keep me in their system for 6 months and will notify me if other jobs that I'd be a good fit for. And this is coming from someone who has very little work experience and no schooling aside from high school.

ReplySendWatch