Forum: Competitions

Should she be moved up?
By x0oashley0ox
On Mon Jul 25, 2011 02:38 PM

I have had the same team of girls for a few years now, and this year 2 of our seniors are off at college ): I have a little one, a pre-teen, that I think would be able to handle the challenge of being with the current seniors but I am not sure. Should I move her on up and push her? Or do I leave her with her junior team (we don't have a teen team) and let her be the best?

Thanks!

11 Replies to Should she be moved up?

re: Should she be moved up?
By GetRhythmmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jul 25, 2011 02:57 PM
In my experience, the little ones I've moved up into my advanced classes have flourished! I actually just moved a few 13 year olds into a class of 17+ year olds last year, and they really rose to the challenge. Not only did they work extra hard in the class, but the older girls have been great mentors to them, helping them out if I'm busy working with another student or another group.

If you think she's ready, I say go for it. If she's the type to get overwhelmed easy, I would tell her that there's nothing wrong with wanting to step back down to the other class if she's feeling uncomfortable after the first month or so. It's reassuring to know that you won't be "in trouble" if you're feeling overwhelmed.
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Mon Jul 25, 2011 04:14 PM
Age was never a factor and I moved many of the younger ones up and several surpassed the older kids. Give her a try. I bet that she will do just fine.
By loverofballet
On Mon Jul 25, 2011 05:09 PM
I have always believed that students with talent regardless of age, should be challenged and moved up. Not everyone likes this however. I assume you have spoken with the SO and have their okay.

Meet with the parent and discuss the expectations for their child if she were to move up. If you do move her up, be prepared to handle flack from the parents of the students you didn't move up.
By NDow
On Mon Jul 25, 2011 06:26 PM
The only reason I could see to not move her up is if she is emotionally immature for her age. That does not seem to be the case. And as long as she can move back to where she was if she feels she is in over her head, AND you are quite sure the older girls will not eat her alive, then it's worth a go!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jul 25, 2011 08:52 PM
I've always been the type of dancer that prefered to be in over my head with it being on my shoulders to figure it all out, than to be left behind and be the best one. I've done both, and to be left behind and be the best (especially to be *noticeably* the best, like I was), is a horrible feeling.
By hummingbird
On Mon Jul 25, 2011 09:23 PM
If you do decide to move up and she's the only one of this age at the moment, I would talk to your present company members about how they are to encourage and help nurture the mew younger member.

I'm having to do the same thing with a senior class at the moment. The younger girls have been primed that they will have to work hard and that the level will not drop for them and my remaining girls know that they will be expected to encourage and look after (if you like) the new, younger ones.
By RileyA
On Tue Jul 26, 2011 04:35 AM
Could she have a transition year when she is in both teams? We always have a transition year when your kids are approaching the age to go into seniors. That way they get the best of both worlds. A chance to shine in the younger ones and the challenge of the older ones.
By PMDDancer89
On Mon Sep 05, 2011 08:16 PM
We take age into consideration last. If a student has the technical ability and maturity to dance with older dancers and be challenged then we do it.
By taps2much
On Mon Sep 05, 2011 09:18 PM
I am with RileyA here. The best of both worlds!

What I do with students who are technically ready, but not emotionally ready or on the borderline is have them take the technique classes for their age. The areas they most excel in we allow them to take the technique classes only the next level up (not compete or perform with the higher level). In September of 2009-2010 I had an 8 year-old that was above the rest of her classmates in ballet technique (8-12). She took her age/level appropriate classes and started with taking 10 minutes of the next ballet level up (10-14 year-olds). We were very fortunate that this class immediately followed one of her standard classes. Slowly we increased her time in the class and by the end of 2010-2011 year (two years later) she was taking the entire class. She learned the choreography for the recital as a swing. This was a great challenge for her and she was sill able to be a part of her age group and experience the best of both worlds. We took two years for this integration as to not take her out of her age group (causing problems with her peers, or releasing her to be eaten alive by the hyper-hormonal older kids in the next level). Doing this slowly also helped the child keep a good head on her shoulders, though it was pretty much established that if her or her mother belittled or ostracized another dancer then she would not be allowed to participate in ANYTHING, let alone the additional class time. This was a PRIVILEGE, not a RIGHT.
By tutuintodance
On Sun Sep 11, 2011 09:36 AM
I would move her up! It sounds like she is a very talented student. I think it would push her abilities as well and make her a better dancer. She would also learn from the older girls as well.
By dancer56783
On Wed Oct 12, 2011 08:40 AM
I would move her up, I just had to do this in one of my classes and of course the other girls and other parents were not happy. but if you believe she can handle it, don't hold her back

ReplySendWatch