Forum: Ballet / Advanced & Professional Ballet

Advanced & Professional Ballet
Any currently active professionals here?
By TwilightDancer95member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 387, member since Thu Nov 06, 2008
On Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:01 PM

Is anyone currently in a professional company? There has not been much activity on this board as of late. I decided I'd try to help bring it back, it can be such a wonderful resource!
To start the thread, I am now an apprentice wig San Francisco Ballet! I started about a month ago, and I have my first performance in a week! :)

6 Replies to Any currently active professionals here?

re: Any currently active professionals here?
By Sumayah Comments: 6879, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:13 PM
Not I. I was just reminiscing that it's been nearly 15 years since I was filling out the corps de ballet. Although one of my students looked fairly shocked tonight when I was telling them that I near made it out of the corps. She looked at me perplexed and said, "But you're so good!" At which point I laughed and explained that I was surrounded by really talented dancers, my dancing - especially now - is mediocre at best.

But one of my classmates was accepted (and didn't accept o.O) a full scholarship to study at the Royal Ballet School in London full time. /facepalm Another danced for Minnesota Ballet, another for City Ballet in San Diego. I'm not sure where others turned up, but I do know several others had pro careers. I danced with a small local company, but it was great.
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:32 PM
Ex Coryphée here and that's as far as I got.

I know there are a few people as students at pro schools, I agree with you, this is an excellent recourse and I wish that I'd been able to access this forum when I danced.

What's your performance going to be TwilightDancer95?
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:05 PM
Edited by jazz_lover (99333) on 2011-07-25 23:05:53
I go to SF ballet all the time to watch performances! I will be looking for you on the stage.

I assume you are going to be dancing at Stern Grove? That performance is less then a week away! Merde
By noachkamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2116, member since Mon Jun 20, 2005
On Tue Jul 26, 2011 08:47 AM
MERDE!! I am so excited for you and I don't even know you in person! Haha.

Well I am not professionally active...YET! I am still in school. I look forward to the day I can come back on this thread and say I am, though ;)
By Vibrations Comments: 101, member since Mon Jun 27, 2011
On Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:04 AM
I'm no longer professionally active in ballet (she said sadly), but I am currently in the midst of starting a jazz dance company, which I hope will lead to starting a ballet company, because I just can't stay away lol.
By Triskitmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 5126, member since Mon Jul 22, 2002
On Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:08 PM
I too am retired from the spotlight. I still work in the theatre as a choreographer, but my main gig now is teaching, which I love. Performing was great but teaching is far more rewarding for me :)

Hope your first performance went well Twilight.

ReplySendWatch