Forum: Adults / 40 Something

40 Something
Ballet or Tap-which should I choose?
By cbethmanning Comments: 4, member since Tue Jul 26, 2011
On Tue Jul 26, 2011 03:15 PM

First post here. I will turn 44yrs old next week.

I've never had formal dance training (unless you count country/western). But I've always wanted to try ballet/tap/ballroom. I can thank the show "So You Think You Can Dance" for this, lol.

My mom wouldn't let me take dance when I was young. I assume it's because it was too $$$, but she told me it was because she didn't want my thighs to look big. I told her, well, if they did, at least they would be muscle, lol.

Anyway, I've found a couple of studios that offer Adult Tap and Adult Ballet classes. My question is which should I take first? Is one easier than the other? I will tell you, I don't have much of a dancer's body. I'm 5'2", had 3 kids, etc. You get the idea.

I would love ballet, not sure i'm graceful enough. Would love tap, think I could do this actually.

You're input is greatly appreciated!

Happy Dancing!

6 Replies to Ballet or Tap-which should I choose?

re: Ballet or Tap-which should I choose?
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6819, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Tue Jul 26, 2011 03:23 PM
It doesn't matter which you choose...you'll love them both.

Ballet will help your balance and placement which will make you a better tap dancer.

Tap is a bit more fun to start with and burns a ton of calories, if you are looking for exercise.

Is there any way you can do both? Country dancing has a number of steps that come from a tap/clogging tradition, ballet is good for everything.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Keep On Dancing*
On Tue Jul 26, 2011 03:52 PM
Thanks for the info!

Not sure if I can take both or not. I am going to try though.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Thanks again for your input!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Tue Jul 26, 2011 07:06 PM
Personally, I prefer tap. I find the music to be more relatable, it requires less equipment/equipment upkeep - got a pair of tap shoes? You're good to go. Ballet, you need a leo, tights, the shoes, and almost every ballet dancer in our studio goes through more than one pair of shoes a year, where I'm getting ready to head in to my third year with my same pair of tap shoes.

Plus, I'm not particularly flexible, which makes ballet tricky. And I KNOW that's the kind of thing that takes practice, but it never seems to improve much for me, so it makes it tough anyway.

That said, I always wished I'd given ballet more attention. Now that I'm trying to move from dancer to teacher, and have zero ballet experience, it's making it a bit of a pain for my SO. Plus, after 24 years of percussive dance, my knees and ankles have seen better days, which I might have been able to stave off if I'd gone with some other types of dance.
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3627, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Tue Jul 26, 2011 08:00 PM
Take both if you can. If you can fit in only one, I suggest ballet, for now at least. For one thing, I've seen a fair number of adult tap classes offered but found that adult ballet is difficult to come by. So grab it while you can. Just as important, ballet can improve your posture and help your body to stand up better when learning tap or other kinds of dance. You will always be able to gain a little flexibility and ballet technique but the earlier you start the better -- and by that I mean 44 rather than 64. If you start to burn out on the ballet, switch to tap. You'll find that tap teaches you to count the beats and be more aware of which foot to end up on in order to start the next musical phrase. Then if you go back to ballet again you'll find you can memorize choreography better.
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue Jul 26, 2011 09:09 PM
I'm a ballet dancer through and through but I love taking tap classes every once in a while, they're just such fun.

Will the studio's let you try a class to see which one you get on with better? Most studios will let you take a try out class.
On Wed Jul 27, 2011 02:08 PM
Thank you everyone for all your input. I really do value it.

I have two studios to pick from. I think both are having open houses this week. They are on my to do list to check out.

I would love to do both, but financially think I can afford only one.

That is a great idea to ask if they will let me try it out.

I'll keep you posted.

ReplySendWatch