Forum: Ballet / Advanced & Professional Ballet

Advanced & Professional Ballet
Need some advice
By StarBucks_Lovermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 504, member since Fri Jan 25, 2008
On Thu Jul 28, 2011 03:20 PM

So, I need ya'lls help on this, I got a scholarship to Joffrey and if I go I can only go for the half semester (because we don't have enough money for the whole year), which is great! They help you get into a company and they have a lot of great classes. But the problem is if I don't get into a company, then I'll be stuck at my current studio for a whole another year. So, should I go this year or should I wait another year? I want to go this year but I'm worried that I won't get into a company, then everything will just fall apart career wise. Thoughts?

4 Replies to Need some advice

re: Need some advice
By RosePremium member Comments: 9216, member since Sat Dec 30, 2006
On Thu Jul 28, 2011 03:45 PM
If you would get a full scholarship for the complete year, you would have the same problem. Without a job in a company after that year, what to do?

I think you should go. That increases your chances to be discovered by anyone with money to spend, to get more scholarship for the talent you have, or to get into a company.

If you don't get in a company, you return to your current studio, keep working with everything you've learned at Joffreys, and try to continue. Either go back with a new scholarship, or do auditions for companies.
By Triskitmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 5126, member since Mon Jul 22, 2002
On Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:15 PM
I agree with Lidwina. You'll still benefit from attending Joffrey and you don't know for certain you won't get a job. Perhaps something will come up when you're there that will allow you to stay for the rest of the year, and if not you will have still gained valuable experience and made some new connections.
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue Aug 02, 2011 06:50 AM
I agree, go for it, training of that quality and intensity even for a short time will benefit your dancing.
By BlackLaceTutu Comments: 28, member since Fri Sep 15, 2006
On Fri Aug 19, 2011 07:41 PM
I agree with the others. Take advantage of the scholarship and the opportunity you have now. Work hard, learn a lot, and you never know what opportunities will begin to present themselves.
Good luck with everything!

ReplySendWatch