Forum: General / Tap / Clogging

Clogging
Teaching for the first time!
By omgcassidy Comments: 1, member since Mon Aug 15, 2011
On Mon Aug 15, 2011 01:48 PM

So guys,
This year, I'm gonna start teaching a beginning level clogging class and an intermediate level clogging class for the first time! I was an assistant teacher last year and learned a lot, but I'm still nervous. Any advice on how to start the class, first day agenda, clogging games, icebreaker games, etc? I'm also not sure of how much time to spend on new steps in the beginner class. Pleaaaseeeee help! :)

1 Replies to Teaching for the first time!

re: Teaching for the first time!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:50 PM
With clogging, like anything else, people like to see proof that it's working. So pick out a super simple, basic dance - I used Kelli McChesneys choreography to Turkey In The Straw for a long time, and start it. They'll get through enough of it that they can see some of it to music, which is exciting when you're new.

With the beginners, I'll usually talk a little about my experience, a little about the history of clogging, and then let them know that I do my best to oblige musical requests, so if they have a song they want to dance to, they should let me know. And if need be, we'll talk real quick about where to get shoes. Then we get started.

ReplySendWatch