Forum: Adults / Baby On Board

Page:
Page 2 of 6: 1 2 3 4 5 6
re: An update on my life and pregnancy! (karma: 1)
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Aug 18, 2011 09:57 AM
DefyingGravity hit the nail on the head. You're perfectly able to work, you just didn't like it, so you quit. You've made that abundantly clear to anyone who was even half paying attention. If you want to be a housewife then more power to you. At least own up to it, though. If he makes enough money to support you both, you should be paying for your own food and medical expenses.

You have proven nothing except that you haven't changed one bit from before.
re: An update on my life and pregnancy!
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member
On Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:22 AM
Liz, if I were you, I would probably let this thread slide. I am so glad that you are happy with your life and that Tony is doing well. ( Cute photos on FB btw! ).

The reason I say this is because you are seeming a bit insecure with your life right now. People who are secure with their life don't really flaunt that they are "secure". Does that make sense? I think some people may jump at the fact that they see your insecurity, so just let this one slide. You don't need high blood pressure with the little precious baby inside of you!

OF COURSE it makes sense that you are insecure, and I would totally be the same way in your situation. You got married young and you are going to have a baby soon. Having a baby can be a scary thing, especially for the first time parent! I think you are doing the best you can, and I am really glad that you found a husband that loves you and treats you so well.

I also understand the stress that your husband isn't a citizen yet. Because you are on financial assistance, it is going to be hard for him to qualify for citizenship. He has to be ABOVE a certain income in order to qualify.( Can't be "poor: enough to recieve aid) That really sucks, because I know your husband is SUCH a hard worker. I have seen projects that he has done, such as the bridge building. He is really talented and it is a bit of shame that he is having a hard time qualifying for citizenship. I am a bit worried for you guys, because you quit work to part time and that puts you in the income low enough to qualify for your programs. If you keep getting that assistance, your income levels won't allow for you husband to apply for citizenship. Have you ever talked to a professional about something like that? I care very much for you, and I would hate for him to be deported once Tony is born. I am not sure if you can talk to a lawyer without him reporting him, so I am not sure if I would suggest that.

All in all, I feel like you are getting the dream life of being a mother. I remember on the Hooters thread, you said that your goal was to be an amazing mother and housewife. I have been following your diary, and you seem to be getting the cooking thing down! I am so jealous that you are able to cook so well for your husband! I also think you are going to be an amazing mother, because you really seem to always like kids.

I think you are still young enough that you will be able to financially set up a life for yourself. You seem really good with budgeting your money ( cheap diapers, sales etc) so I think you have a bright future ahead of you. Have you considered babysitting at your house? I have friends who have babies, and they Nanny other children at their home. They only make about $8 and hour, but it is a little extra income for them.

Best wishes for a healthy pregnancy!
By tumblebugPremium member
On Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:24 AM
Edited by tumblebug (25049) on 2011-08-18 10:30:19
The vast majority of people receiving government aid in the states are working. That's why they're called the 'working poor'.

Nooooo, the working poor are people who are working and do NOT qualify for government assistance by a slim margin and are living WORSE off than people on assistance. THAT is the working poor.

Yeah our guidelines are crap. A family of 3 would have to gross less than $285 a week to qualify (they multiply times 4.3 to accommodate months with 5 weeks). Rent around here averages $500/month. If you gross $285 a week and you are paying for your own health insurance, you are bringing home around $180-$200 per week. It would take 3 paychecks just to pay rent, that doesn't include food, gas, utilities, co-pays for dr visits and prescriptions, etc. THAT is the working poor.

By the way- is Medicaid paying for all of those fancy ultrasounds for a healthy pregnancy?? Because with the financial state of the government I think something like that should be looked into. If you are paying for them yourself then that's a little different, but then again if you are on Medicaid then you shouldn't be able to afford them unless it was a gift or something along those lines.
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:58 AM
To stick my say in though - why shouldnt she get WIC and Food tokens etc - shes payed tax through working so at the end of the day when shes not working shes only done something good for herself! I'de much rather be on a benefit that I've earned by paying tax previous than never payed tax in my life and get 100s of benefits anyway!! It's the tax payers money that goes in to these benefits - so ofcourse shes entitled!

To branch off of this comment...all I'll say is that I highly doubt that contributions are equal to benefits in many cases...and that feeling "entitled" to things is one of the major problems plaguing this country. There are people who basically want to contribute nothing yet reap a ton of benefits and I really don't know how most of them developed that idea/expectation. I definitely think that if people are able to work, they should work and be glad that they're contributing to society, not having to use money taken from the paychecks of others, etc. Many people seem to fail at realizing the money for assistance programs doesn't just materialize...they just think, "Yay, free stuff!" without giving it another thought. I'm all for helping people who genuinely need it to get back on their feet, as they say, but I see way too many instances of abusing assistance programs. Just my general thoughts on the matter. :P
By Ayokamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:16 AM
Nooooo, the working poor are people who are working and do NOT qualify for government assistance by a slim margin and are living WORSE off than people on assistance. THAT is the working poor.

That is another problem with the system, yes. In addition to the people you described, there are another group of people who are receiving benefits and if they increase their income they receive less benefits. Then their income gain is immediately eaten up by having to cover things they didn't before. Often they lose more in benefits than their increase covers.

I went back and checked my source and you're right in that my statement isn't accurate. However, in regards to food stamps:
In fiscal year 2004, 84 percent of all food stamp households contained a child (54 percent), and elderly person (17 percent), or a disabled nonelderly person (23 percent).

and

Nearly 30 percent of food stamp houses have earnings... For those households earnings are the primary source of income... Only 16 percent of food stamp households recieve TANF cash welfare benefits...

Karen Seccombe, Families In Poverty, Pearson Education, Inc. 2007. Pg 143.

As for welfare (TANF) there is a time limit for how long one can receive those benefits, 5 years (and states can lower that time). This is in addition to a requirement for recipients to be working within two years of receiving benefits.
www.policyalmanac.org . . .

Not a great source, kind of old, but it backs up my claim that it's a myth that welfare recipients do not work:
Many welfare recipients do work to supplement meager benefits (Harper's, 4/94). But workforce discrimination and the lack of affordable childcare make working outside the home difficult for single mothers. And the low-wage, no-benefit jobs available to most AFDC recipients simply do not pay enough to lift a family out of poverty.

www.fair.org . . .
re: An update on my life and pregnancy! (karma: 4)
By amarathPremium member
On Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:30 AM
Cringing.
On Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:43 PM
One quick thing about your husbands citizenship status.

Does your states hospital have HIPPAA and EMTALA? I assume they do since they are federal programs? ( DG correct me if I am wrong). I only bring this up, because you said your husband pays taxes right? For an illegal to pay taxes, they need to have a SS#. I am not sure how he acquired a SS# without being a citizen, and it is non of my business. That being said, you need to be super careful because he is an illegal and he could have possibly obtained it in a illegal manner; that is like a double whammy.

My city has a safe haven law, but I am not sure about your city. I could be making a big deal out of nothing, but I really hope that you get this citizenship thing figured out. If he gets deported, would you consider living in Mexico with him? I know you speak Spanish, so the language barrier wouldn't be much of a problem for you.

Just tread carefully with his immigration status, and don't flaunt it for the world to see. I wouldn't keep going to banks and governmental places asking for him to be added to your accounts without a SS#.

Just be very careful.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:47 PM
Edited by LlamaLlamaDuck (113868) on 2011-08-18 12:57:27
At a time in the US where the unemployment rate is still fairly high... I don't get why someone who has a job would quit it... but that's just me.

Meh it's not my life...

I have no issues whatsoever with you getting married so young, getting pregnant so fast, getting into the relationship as fast as you did. I know you will make a good mom. I'm glad that you are happy. At times I do feel that even though you always point out how mature you are that you aren't as mature as you claim to be (but again I don't live with you so I don't fully see it). I'm glad that you are happy, not everyone can say that they are. The only thing that I do have an issue with is (and this is just in my eyes) is you milking the system.

As for her hubby... NO you don't have to have a SS# to file taxes. There is some sort of other way of filing taxes... I can't remember who I asked about it, but I remember looking it up and finding out that you definately don't have to have a SS#.

I do kinda worry that something will happen before hubby gets his citizenship or legal status in the country. I truly hope that it doesn't.

re: An update on my life and pregnancy! (karma: 6)
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Aug 18, 2011 02:50 PM
Edited by SaraTheGrouch (63195) on 2011-08-18 16:25:00
^ When sensitive information is posted on a public forum, you can't help but wonder if the author is going to get in legal trouble. Those who read your diary know your full name, weekly household income, how much you have in savings, the fact that your husband is here illegally, drives illegally, has prior arrests, along with his parents who do illegal drugs but can't afford to pay their bills, a sister in law who has issues with immigration, the fact that you gave up your job's health insurance to for the free stuff, etc. You keep saying that you can't believe things are going so well, but if you keep posting all this incriminating info about yourself and your family, who knows how much longer things will continue to go well. PERSEC at its finest, friends.
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Aug 18, 2011 03:20 PM
^But if she didn't tell us ALL OF THAT to prove that her life is AWESOME and we're all WRONG, then how would we ever know?

/snark
By LeSoulierVertmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:20 PM
I understand where ya'll are coming from, but I feel like if she qualifies for these services hen who are we to judge her for taking advantage it?

That said, coming here and making a thread to rub in people's face that your life is awesome is way lame and way insecure.

It's pretty obvious that you let things get to you, don't let them go for eons, and them bring them back up in a passive aggressive huffy way. Like when people insulted your nails and you keep bringing it up... orrr

How the doctor made a few comments about your weight. You were so insecure you were pissed about that for ages. I didn't get why you couldn't just let it go and be content with yourself no matter what an idiot doctor says.

it's just a really crappy way of dealing with things, because you're just gonna feel crappy and then make other people upset at the same time by making these comments. Work on letting stuff go and being secure with yourself and your choices and then this drama wont come up.

I mean think about it, you're basically trying to feel good about yourself by making us feel bad, instead of just feeling good about yourself period, because that's how you feel. Laaaame dude.
On Fri Aug 19, 2011 06:52 AM
Edited by tumblebug (25049) on 2011-08-19 07:00:07
I understand where ya'll are coming from, but I feel like if she qualifies for these services hen who are we to judge her for taking advantage it?

I'm not sure how she would qualify if her hubby is making tons of money doing construction, enough that they could pay cash for a car and have enough to live for a year in their savings. In order to qualify, you can't have more than $3000 in your savings. Something seems a little fishy to me.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here but it's just really annoying when some of us work hard and pay taxes and are living worse off than someone who is on assistance.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Aug 19, 2011 08:43 AM
IMHO the system isn't designed for the people that need it... it seems to work better for those that will abuse it. It's that way north of the border as well. A refugee gets more government income here than a pensioner...

Maybe in Texas things are a little different
By hyehokismember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Aug 19, 2011 04:21 PM
I just wanted to pop in and say- I cant believe it is almost time for you to have your baby:)

I dont see your post as rubbing it in our faces. This is merely a post about how Liz is doing and what is going on. I dont get why everything has to be so dramatic. There are some people on here that like to cause trouble and some who dont. I am one of those who just enjoy reading posts that dont involve some sort dramatic episode. All I can say is at least your husband wants to be a legal citizen and you are taking steps to do that. Also if you want to stay home with the baby- that is good too, especially if hubby works.

In that case I do hope you update your diary- for those of us who genuinely care and ignore the people who like to light fires on this site.

Po

PS- I know I will get some backlash for my little drama- but just saying.
By imadanseurPremium member
On Fri Aug 19, 2011 04:25 PM
^^You might not think think her post is rubbing it into people's faces, but she CLEARLY WROTE THOSE EXACT WORDS.

Also, to rub it in the face of all the people who said rude things to me

She admitted that was part of the motive...not really a good way to sugar coat that or twist that into something else. It is what it is.

Other than that...Peace out.
re: An update on my life and pregnancy! (karma: 3)
By Queen_Jojo
On Sat Aug 20, 2011 07:33 PM
Does the op seriously write a diary giving all that information and post it on the internet?!!!

On the upside, at least all the taxpayers know where there money is now going, to illegal immigrants who's pregnant partner doesn't want to work!!!

Queenie xx
On Sat Aug 20, 2011 08:04 PM
Edited by jazz_lover (99333) on 2011-08-20 20:08:07
Edited by jazz_lover (99333) on 2011-08-20 20:10:03
I actually don't think the OP is "cheating" the system.

In her diary, she states that she+husband make $2280 roughly a month. The qualifying amount in her state is $2300. WIC and other federal programs look at the yearly income from what I understand. It is possible that she had the money saved up before the marriage, and it didn't go into the calculation for THIS year.

She states "our savings are still the same as when we moved in together". They weren't married before moving in together, so maybe her income was before the marriage status.

If you are "poor" enough to qualify for federal aid, I don't think you are doing as well as you are claiming to be, but that DOESN'T mean she is cheating on her taxes.

Two people living on $2300 a month is SUPER tight, but depending on where she lives, it can be done. My rent is $1565 in California, so two people can't live on her budget, but her rent is about $800 a month.

So all in all, I don't think she is doing financially well enough to claim she is "doing extremely well" ( poor enough to qualify for federal programs), but I don't think it is really fair to say for a fact that she is "cheating" the system.

Also, if you can only have $3000 in your savings...she could technically take the cash out to purchase a car and say it is for business or something. While I don't agree with this method, as long as it isn't in the bank as "savings" and it is being used as a "living cost", I can see how this would work out.
On Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:01 AM
Actually they count the appraisal on the vehicle as well. This is supposedly to prevent people with luxury items (nice cars, etc) from losing their job and getting on welfare but still maintaining their lifestyle. They expect you to sell those items like the rest of us do when something like that happens. Plus they check your bank statements so they are going to see that you pulled the money out.
On Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:11 AM
^but they're not receiving welfare. I haven't seen anything that indicates those factors are accounted for when apply to WIC and Medicare.
On Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:38 AM
They are not receiving MediCARE, they are receiving MediCAID and that is a form of government assistance.
On Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:02 AM
That's actually what I typed and my phone auto-corrected. Welfare is a term that can refer to both government assistance of any kind or a specific program now known as TANF (Temporary Aid for Needy Families). They are not receiving benefits from that program. That program would take into account their saving and assets. Like I said I haven't seen anything to indicate that WIC and Medicaid do.
On Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:16 AM
Types of Welfare Available

The type and amount of aid available to individuals and dependent children varies from state to state. When the Federal Government gave control back to the states there was no longer one source and one set of requirements. Most states offer basic aid such as health care, food stamps, child care assistance, unemployment, cash aid, and housing assistance.

Source
www.welfareinfo.org

Medicaid is considered a form of welfare and yes they do take those things into consideration.
On Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:25 AM
Edited by Ayoka (141798) on 2011-08-21 11:25:39
www.health.state.ny.us . . .

Can I be eligible for Medicaid even if I make more money than the chart shows?

Yes, some people can. Pregnant women, children, disabled persons, and others may be eligible for Medicaid if their income is above these levels and they have medical bills. Ask your Medicaid worker if you fit into one of these groups.
re: An update on my life and pregnancy! (karma: 2)
By DefyingGravityPremium member
On Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:42 AM
^
a) That's New York, not Texas where Liz is living. Requirements vary state to state.

b) That said, I don't think any of us are questioning whether or not a young, pregnant, unemployed woman married to an illegal alien qualifies for Medicaid. Duh, of course she would.

We're questioning how she thinks it's in any way moral or ethical to quit work before she has to (remember her easy pregnancy?), LOSE HER MEDICAL BENEFITS VOLUNTARILY, flounce around bragging about her awesome lifestyle, then go on government assistance for food staples and medical care (yet still eat out at least three times more than me, which has been proven to cost significantly more than buying your own food - see her diary for details).
On Sun Aug 21, 2011 01:02 PM
Edited by Ayoka (141798) on 2011-08-21 13:03:33
I didn't know what state she lives in. It doesn't really matter because my point was that requirements are more lax for pregnant women and at least in some states they are.

As for:
That said, I don't think any of us are questioning whether or not a young, pregnant, unemployed woman married to an illegal alien qualifies for Medicaid. Duh, of course she would.

I'm not sure how she would qualify if her hubby is making tons of money doing construction, enough that they could pay cash for a car and have enough to live for a year in their savings. In order to qualify, you can't have more than $3000 in your savings. Something seems a little fishy to me.

I originally jumped in to say that the benefits she is receiving are aimed at pregnant women and as far as I know only take income into account. (tumble your link is only talking about welfare in a general sense and still doesn't say Medicaid, specifically, asks for savings and assets) BTW WIC is a nutrition education program and the types of food they give vouchers for is very limited.

www.dshs.state.tx.us . . .
Eligibility Requirements

Meet the income guidelines. Households with incomes at or below 185 percent of the federal poverty income level are eligible. WIC determines income based on gross income. WIC counts all of the members of a household, related or unrelated. WIC counts an unborn baby as a household member. Click to view Income Eligibility Guidelines (45K, PDF).
Be at nutritional risk. WIC clients receive an initial health and diet screening at a WIC clinic to determine nutritional risk. WIC uses two main categories of nutritional risk: (1) medically-based risks such as a history of poor pregnancy outcome, underweight status, or iron-deficiency anemia, and (2) diet-based risks such as poor eating habits that can lead to poor nutritional and health status. Clients will be counseled at WIC about these risks and the outcome influenced by nutrition education and nutritious foods provided by WIC.
Live in Texas. WIC clients usually receive services in the county where they live. U.S. citizenship is not a requirement for eligibility.
Clients must apply in person except in certain limited cases.

I'm not arguing the ethics of the situation either way. Simply trying to clear up misconceptions.
Page:
Page 2 of 6: 1 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed