Forum: Competitions

Best competitions to attend as a recreational studio
By Lindance
On Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:16 AM

I am looking for the best dance competitions to attend with recreational dancers. Some have recreational categories, but my girls seem to be the only ones competiting in it. Any suggestions?

13 Replies to Best competitions to attend as a recreational studio

re: Best competitions to attend as a recreational studio
By StudioSally
On Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:51 PM
I love KAR! We are recreational as well. They are the fav of the dancers, the parents, and myself. Good luck!
By live2danceemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:08 PM
I second KAR !!!! They have 4 different levels of competition. We always take everyone from our elite competition group to our pre-competition group to KAR and have heard nothing but positive feedback from all.

Good Luck !!!
By missliz404
On Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:22 AM
I third KAR! It's the best competition ever for rec studios! I just love them!
By Tap_Dance_Kid
On Sat Aug 20, 2011 06:11 PM
Every time we went to KAR in the Metro Detroit area, all we saw on stage was grinding, thrusting and crotch shots from little girls wearing bedazzled bikinis on stage. :(

#1 reason why we stopped going.
By vista5Premium member
On Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:11 PM
Do you belong to DEA or DMA? They connect workshops to their competitions and place more emphasis on learning than many competition only events.
By caughtmydream
On Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:39 AM
To give a little variety I know NEXSTAR is a great competition. They have 3 levels. And the studio that I use to teach at were recreational. They always did a great job there and there was a lot of competition for all levels.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:57 PM
We're a largely recreational studio (which is to say, we're not a studio solely driven by competition - we have more students that don't compete than ones that do), and we had a fantastic time at Applause last year. We even went to their Nationals last year, and did well there as well.
By Tutu520
On Fri Sep 02, 2011 08:16 PM
American dance awards/dance Olympus!
By dancindiva
On Sat Sep 03, 2011 07:15 AM
I was also going to sugest DMA :)
By danceteacher716
On Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:09 AM
Revolution...every time went have gone there have been an equal amount of dancers in each category. Onstage NY- Not so much. Everyone competes in the advanced category.
By ktmikelle
On Sat Sep 03, 2011 07:16 PM
We've competed in the recreational category for the last 7 years. The favorites of the dancers and the parents are Beyond the Stars and Showstopper. We always try to compete at a new competition each year to find what we like best. Revolution has also been a good competition as well. We've never competed at KAR but I think we might give it a try after hearing the good reviews. Good luck!
By CSSRocks
On Mon Sep 05, 2011 02:34 PM
Thanks for sharing this, we are recreational too and we just signed up for this one hoping it would be good

thanks!
By CSSRocks
On Mon Sep 05, 2011 02:37 PM
I would gather that the demeographic might have been the main cause of that. We went to two StarQuest competitions and it was like night and day on the "appropriate" scale.

One of the comps was tasteful the other was absolutely disgusting. When I wrote in to the competition i was curtly told that "We are not responsible for the attire the studios select or their choreography"

This is fair. They really can't assume every studio is tasteful. you just hope the judges mark accordingly

ReplySendWatch