Forum: Competitions

Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2
re: What does your SO do for the teachers who attend competitions?
By SAPdance
On Mon Sep 05, 2011 01:48 PM
hmmm, what great discussions. I am an assistant SO (my mum is the SO). We choreograph many of our competition routines but we also have some of our seasoned teachers choreograph as well. WE do not compensate them to be at competitions but we do not require them to be there either. most of them do come however to watch and support....espeically seeing as some of them still dance on the senior team. My mum or I are always there to run the dancers through, or give them pep talks. We could not afford to compensate them....we do not even compensate ourselves for being there. In the last 21 years that I have run my competition team, I have paid my own hotel, bus fee, my own gas, food etc.. out of my own family's money. I am considering adding on competition fee to cover this ...especially after reading all this info, but it would not be for this year now, it would have to be starting next year. I must add though that I believe our choreographers are paid well to choreograph, more than their regular class fees to teach so hopefully they feel as though they willing to attend competition. Do most SO's charge a yearly competition fee (if so how much per dancer) or, do you simply increase the fees for entry numbers ie: instead of collecting 28$ per dancer for a large group you charge 35$? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
By mariebandres
On Wed Sep 07, 2011 09:39 AM
I get a $500 bonus for each competition weekend and our hotel is covered. All the teachers share a room together. We usually have three teachers that go. Our SO usually will come for one day to watch a little. I head our competition program and am the assistant artistic director. Im not sure what the other teachers get but I know they do get a bonus. We up charge the competition and the convention fees because we believe our staff deserves to be payed for their hard work (our parents are aware). We do a full warm up before each age group performs, we run each dance, solo etc because we believe they deserve it but our director believes we deserve to be paid!
By mndance2
On Wed Sep 07, 2011 01:51 PM
I find these all very interesting. I worked at a studio and was paid hourly for the time I was at the competitions. Yes, I made some good money those weekends!! Honestly I don't know how she afforded it??
Now as a SO and having a small studio there is no way I could afford to pay a teacher to spend their whole weekend at a comp.
I charge my students class time, costume, and exactly what the comp charges. I don't have any up charges because I know I would not have a team other wise.
So in this case if I have another teacher teaching a comp routine I would tell them it is their choice to attend because I would be there no matter what and could rehearse the routine. I simply can't afford to pay another teacher for an entire weekend.
I even pay my own way and have nothing covered by the students.
Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch