Popular Irish

Irish social dance: 5 tips for keeping your dancing healthy by NoraStewart
Staying healthy takes more and more of my time, and it seems obvious to try to enhance the benefits...

Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Pointe - General
Average height/weight for a dancer en>fr fr>en
By SoulDancer17 Comments: 3, member since Sun Aug 21, 2011
On Sun Aug 21, 2011 04:57 PM
Edited by oz_helen (35388) on 2011-08-21 17:55:38 height/weight posts are not permitted

I have been dancing for 13 years. When I first started I was rather thin and in shape, but then I gained a significant amount of weight. I realized my weight was putting restrictions on what I could do so I started hitting the gym and eating right.

So what I'm wondering is , with me being 5'9 what should my weight be so that I have a dancers body?

7 Replies to Average height/weight for a dancer

re: Average height/weight for a dancer en>fr fr>en
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5880, member since Sat Jan 25, 2003
On Sun Aug 21, 2011 05:04 PM
Welcome to DDN. Height/weight ratio posts are not allowed as they can be really triggering to other dancers with eating disorders and body image issues.

That being said, there isn't really such a thing as a dancer's body. The weight you should be is something healthy for your height that can be easily maintained with regular exercise and mostly healthy eating. If you've been dancing for 13 years, I'm going to assume that a lot of those years were during teenager-hood, I'm not surprised you've gained weight. That's a part of growing and you have to accept being in a more adult body. I could be wrong about your age, though.
By SoulDancer17 Comments: 3, member since Sun Aug 21, 2011
On Sun Aug 21, 2011 05:09 PM
Edited by oz_helen (35388) on 2011-08-21 17:56:22 height/weight posts are not permitted
The reason I ask is because I've seen many website where its says xxxlbs is the average for a professional dancer and I just thought , "won't I look disgusting if i was xxxlbs at x'x" So i just needed some clarification on that. But I appreciate your comment. And I'm still a teen, I'm 16.
By CompactDiscomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1063, member since Fri Aug 29, 2008
On Sun Aug 21, 2011 05:17 PM
It changes for everyone. As long as you're healthy and in the best condition you can be in dance-wise, you'll be at the best weight for you. Everyone's body is different... There is no one-weight-fits-all.
By RosePremium member Comments: 9079, member since Sat Dec 30, 2006
On Sun Aug 21, 2011 05:39 PM
The weight of a professional dancer also depends of the company. Some companies want skinny dancers, others want more firm bodies. With the same weight you can be 'too fat' for company X and 'too thin' for company Y.

A lot of classical companies have so called 'typical' dancers. Like one very tall dancer, one very short, one with more female curves, one skeleton type, Asian, black, ..... They want to have these dancers for some character roles or to give the world the image they have a wide diversity of dancers.

And when they got critism about the average kind of dancers they have (being too thin or too big), they might select different dancers in the next audition. Or they want a specific body for a specific performance and select those dancers. And some companies have been overwelmed by a dancer with such a great talent that they were willing to accept the 'different than what they usually select' body.
By mileseez135 Comments: 203, member since Sat Feb 05, 2011
On Sun Aug 21, 2011 05:54 PM
To say the average dancer is X pounds is completely meaningless if you don't know that dancer's height as well.

If you're healthy and maintaining a weight/muscle tone with good eating habits and some exercise, you're probably fine!

Usually, I can tell if my body is under or over where my weight should be without stepping on a scale!
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2096, member since Thu Dec 20, 2007
On Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:19 PM
My advice is you should care more about your health that about what any particular dance company thinks about your body. Dance companies will come and go, but your body is for a lifetime.

So take care of yourself, eat health, exercise, and make beautiful dancing!
By BalanchineBaby5 Comments: 24, member since Mon Aug 22, 2011
On Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:21 PM
As long as you are healthy and lean muscle you are good. The minimum height is around 5'4" but some allow taller/shorter. :)

ReplySendWatch