Forum: Arts / Debates

If this was you, what would you do?
By hummingbird
On Sun Aug 21, 2011 08:44 PM

After my initial reaction which was, wow :(, just wow, fancy being told that your wedding is an illegal act, this just got me really mad, why are people so judgemental? Or is that just mental.

ca.shine.yahoo.com . . .

I bet they're going to lose a load of business over this miscalculation.

12 Replies to If this was you, what would you do?

re: If this was you, what would you do?
By ChristinePremium member
On Sun Aug 21, 2011 08:57 PM
My daughter bought a wedding dress for a play she was in. She didn't need a note from her boyfriend or a doctor to prove she was entitled to it.

Cross dressers often enjoy a wedding dress in the wardrobe. My cousin's husband had one, and he often sang, "I feel pretty" when he dressed up.

My friend's daughter had two wedding dresses...imagine what this bridal shop might make of that.

I think this was completely out of line. I knew a man who wore a tuxedo to work on the day he thought there was going to be a big layoff. Again, didn't require permission from the pope.

If I lived near this shop, I wouldn't do business with them after this action. It is illegal, judgmental,narrow minded,demeaning, and just plain mean.

Keep On Dancing*
By Jennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:28 AM
Edited by Jenna (58119) on 2011-08-23 10:29:07
I think I would do exactly what this bride did. Tell the newspapers. Good for her. It looks as if this story is making the rounds across the internet so I do hope it seriously effects the success of their business.

I honestly believe that people are entitled to their opinions, providing that they do not act upon discriminatory ones. If you don't like same sex relationships. Fine. I don't agree with you, I probably would never be friends with you, but I think you are entitled to feel that way because we cannot regulate people's feelings - however biased and unfounded they are. Are you entitled to disrespect and refuse service to someone because of it? Absolutely not! How awful.

I really hope this girl has a tough skin and will go on to have a fantastic wedding despite this one awful person.

I would probably be devastated if this happened to me, but I do have a history of sticking up for myself. I was once fired for being pregnant and boy, I did not go silently into the night on that one! Hello lawsuit!
re: If this was you, what would you do? (karma: 3)
By dangslowmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Aug 23, 2011 03:42 PM
Color me "old fashioned" but I miss the old days when we just did that to people who were marrying out of their race.
By ChristinePremium member
On Tue Aug 23, 2011 03:45 PM
Edited by topphilly (207347) on 2011-08-23 15:46:39 ugh...
^Who is "we"? I get that this is supposed to be a joke, but "Old Fashioned" isn't the word I'd use.

YIKES!

Keep On Dancing*
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Aug 24, 2011 01:43 AM
Bleurgh. Disgusting!!! I can't believe we still discriminate in the 21st century-I hope the bride and her partner can have the wedding of their dreams, they deserve it as much as any couple.
By DancingBeanermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Aug 24, 2011 01:55 AM
I would tell the press like the bride did, then tell the store owner that after hearing this I would never want to wear a dress from that company and will spread to the word of this incident to everyone.
By dancin_til_death
On Thu Aug 25, 2011 02:50 AM
Isn't it illegal to discrimminate based on sexual preference? It is in Australia
By Anon1234567890member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Aug 25, 2011 03:11 AM
I'm just glad her business is doing sooooo well that she didn't need an extra sale.

Christ if I were in retail in the current climate I'd sell a wedding dress to a dog if it wanted one.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Aug 25, 2011 08:17 PM
I don't believe this story AT ALL. Everyone knows that lesbians don't wear dresses.
By Anon1234567890member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Aug 26, 2011 03:24 AM
Edited by Louise (29559) on 2011-08-26 03:24:51
By RedheadGredmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Aug 29, 2011 09:54 PM
Just finished the article and read some of the comments on that site. I am pretty disgusted with that store owner and some of the people who were commenting. Why should a person's sexual orientation determine if they get to buy a dress or not? I'm sure that shop owner will lose some business and that is for the best. The shop owner didn't want to participate in any illegal activity but what she did was illegal according to the laws of her state. As a store owner you would think she would stay up to date on laws that are relevant to her business.

I am in an interracial relationship and even though my city is very accepting I know there are towns that are not. If I got turned down for a dress because I was going to marry someone who wasn't white than I wouldn't even want a dress from that store. I would cause a fuss over it because discrimination should not be tolerated.

Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion and we don't all need to agree on every issue out there. Personal feelings should not play a factor when you are working. You are supposed to treat everyone equally and not discriminate.
By Wicked_Elphabamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:03 PM
Simple: Take my business elsewhere.

ReplySendWatch