Forum: Advice / Beauty - Makeovers

Beauty - Makeovers
To chop or not to chop?
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Mon Aug 22, 2011 05:49 AM

I'm bored with my waist-length hair.

I have a shoot in a month. It's for my cover art for my EP but I might also get headshots done at the same time so having out of date headshots won't be an issue.

I want to look more like a musician and less like an actor, if you get my drift. Ideally, I'd like my hair to look like this:

Image hotlink - 'http://www.mastermousepatrol.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/KIMBRA-02-300x200.jpg'

However, since my hair is thin, cut that short it generally looks more like this:

Image hotlink - 'http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3450/2781/320/20060805_0120.jpg'

Also, I can't pull off a fringe since I have a cowlick that makes any attempt at a fringe fail miserably.

So is it too close to the shoot to be making such a huge drastic change? Or should I use the EP as an opportunity to establish a new look?

Helen

5 Replies to To chop or not to chop?

re: To chop or not to chop?
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11250, member since Tue Feb 26, 2002
On Mon Aug 22, 2011 05:57 AM
Definitely go for a new look. I would recommend getting a bunch of photos of styles and cuts you like, and taking them to a hairdresser you trust to craft a style that will suit you and suit the look you are going for.

Erin.
::righteous babe::
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Mon Aug 22, 2011 06:02 AM
I agree: if you feel like you want a change, then a change is probably what you need. Do you have an understanding hairdresser who is willing to cut upwards until you find a length and cut you like? For example, your first cut could be up to about your shoulder blades, then maybe collar bone, then shoulders.

If it helps, because I lose hair a lot, it can get thin sometimes. My new cut has layers, which helps add volume because when I blow dry it I can create some volume by flipping the ends any which way.
By Puss_in_Bootsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4517, member since Mon Jun 03, 2002
On Mon Aug 22, 2011 06:49 AM
I think that photo of you is gorgeous!

I'm going to second the layers. I love mine, because even though I have a lot of hair and need to get it thinned a lot, it gives my hair shape, rather than just EXPLOSION ALL OVER MY HEAD. I can see how it would work for people with less hair as well.

Also I'm probably a little biased here but I am loving my inverted bob - it's not super dramatic but it's just a little edgy and honestly, made me feel like a muso. :D

If you had more time before the cover shoot I'd recommend going at it gradually. As it is I'd probably combine the two suggestions above me: look for pictures of styles that you like, take them to your hairdresser, and then get her to gradually cut bits off until you find something you're comfortable with.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6414, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Mon Aug 22, 2011 07:48 AM
I think you'd look cute with some layers and the length being right at your shoulders, just my two cents! Have you tried pinning p your hair at different lengths to get a feel for how it might look?
By Cinnawiz Comments: 3136, member since Tue Jan 03, 2006
On Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:38 AM
Holy cow, Helen! I was just basically going to write this same post!! (Different circumstances, same hair!)

I've got an appointment with a stylist tomorrow and I'm hoping that she's got some ideas for me. From the "research" that I've done, I'm going in armed with pictures of the inverted stacked bob. It gets rave reviews for people with thin hair.

And I'm so totally ready to go from long hair to short. I think I'll try the fringe again... we'll see what my stylist thinks.

Good luck with your decision!

ReplySendWatch