Forum: Competitions

Please rate these competitions for me! I have to make a decision this week...
By diamondballet
On Wed Aug 24, 2011 06:51 PM

We have students who dance between 2 and 8 hours per week on our competitive line. We have done Dance America, Midwest Starz and Showstoppers and loved them all...this year we are choosing a new one... please help me figure out which of these is th easiest and which are the hardest, I don't want the kids blown out of the water by super competitive dancers but i want it to be good :)

StarPower

StarQuest

Legacy

Any other suggestions that are in the Minnesota are are highly appreciated!!! THANK YOU!!!!

4 Replies to Please rate these competitions for me! I have to make a decision this week...

re: Please rate these competitions for me! I have to make a decision this week...
By Frogdogdance
On Wed Aug 24, 2011 09:34 PM
Have no experience with Star Power or Legacy, but StarQuest is one of our favorite competitions. Well-run, on-time, & great staff. They really hype up the awards, so it feel special for the kids. Very accommodating. They train their judges to actually judge--they comment constantly, & talk about every aspect of the routines, from the music to the choreo to the costumes to the performance quality. I've found their judging to be pretty fair--usually agree with the outcomes. We have some in the overalls in all the genres we compete in (tap, jazz, lyrical, ballet, pointe, contemporary, hip hop), but we don't win everything. We can't go to StarQuest this year because they changed the date to one that conflicts with our spring break, but we'll go back as soon as our schedules jive again!
re: Please rate these competitions for me! I have to make a decision this week...
By dancer56783
On Wed Oct 12, 2011 08:47 AM
Star Quest and Star Power are pretty good and well run
By Dancer904Premium member
On Wed Oct 12, 2011 08:57 AM
Legacy cancelled in our area last year. We werent going, but we heard about it. Thats all I know about them. I like Starquest.
By avandy83
On Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:48 PM
Hated Star Power. They definitely cater to the studios who bring the most money. And we were one of those. We were warned about that before we went, and sure enough, we got special attention and I felt placed higher than we should have because we brought over 100 entries (we have a huge team). That's not how we want to win.

We like StarQuest 3 years ago. Went back to them last year, seemed like a completely different competition. Not run well at all, rude backstage staff, horrible critiques. The majority of the talk tape was about costumes, mostly that they loved them and why. Um, hello, what about our dancing?

Never tried Legacy, I don't think they come to our area.

ReplySendWatch