Forum: Competitions

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Are other Comp. Studios like this?
By godsgiftedchild
On Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:52 PM

A few weeks ago I interviewed for a new dance studio that does competitions. All of their classes do competitions and are basically comp. teams. I've never taught at a competition studio but I did do a few when I was younger.

I was quite confused when the owner basically said that ballet wasn't really taught at their studio as their main teacher never took it (she's a senior in high school). She has never done tap either and mainly taught the older girls and their dance/drill team classes. I would be teaching the pre-K/Kindergarten classes and 1st-5th grade classes.

I went in the next day to teach a sample class and knew within the first 15 min. this studio wasn't for me. There's a door that leads from the main studio into the little studio I taught in so all through class people were going in and out of my room to get from the lobby into the main dance room. And the bathroom was in my room. The owner kept coming in and out to kind observe my class but also to talk to my students (3-5 yr olds)"Are u enjoying class?" "Make sure you listen to your teacher" Her boombox wouldn't play my Cd's that I burned so it was slowing my class down.

When the classes were over, the owner sat down with me and said that those particular classes I taught that day (3-5yr olds) would be doing 3 dances at comp. (jazz, Lyrical, ?) and the other pre-K/K class would do 2 (pom and novelty)as she didn't want any of the classes competing against each other, Oh and there's a nother pre-K/K class that willing doing just hip hop at competition. I told her thanks, but no thanks. No real technique classes, people coming in and out of the room, the owner undermining my authority (one of the students like that I gave her the same color ribbon as everyone in class so the owner gave her the color she wanted), not able to pay me what I think I'm worth.......I'll keep searching instead. I guess this became more of a vent than a question.

25 Replies to Are other Comp. Studios like this?

re: Are other Comp. Studios like this?
By madance
On Fri Aug 26, 2011 05:31 AM
To answer your question... No they are not all like this :)
By CarabosseKPremium member
On Fri Aug 26, 2011 05:42 AM
EW RUN AWAY!!!!!!!
By cmdc
On Fri Aug 26, 2011 08:15 AM
Congrats on seeing and deciding that this studio was not for you and to hold out for a position that is more aligned with your thoughts and beliefs! Sounds like a total nightmare! And you said the "main teacher" was only a senior in hs???? aahhh!!!!
By GetRhythmmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Aug 26, 2011 08:49 AM
Yeah, I think your main red flag is that the "main" teacher is in high school. Say what?! Good thing you ran!
By tinydncr820
On Fri Aug 26, 2011 09:06 AM
Wow! That does not sound like somewhere you want to be working! Good for you for walking away... I know in this economy that's very hard to do when you've been offered any job! But no money would be worth the amount of headaches that studio would cause you. Good luck in finding something better!
By loverofballet
On Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:42 AM
Sounds like the bottom of the barrel for dance studios. Look for something better.
By missliz404
On Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:39 PM
Edited by missliz404 (171273) on 2011-08-26 12:40:39
Oh wow, what a mess. I get mad when I hear about "studios" like this. First warning sign - clearly inexperienced as they have no idea how to structure a studio. Not sure if they built it themselves or not, but any real dance teacher would know that a building layout like that is not for a dance studio. And a HS student as the main teacher? Holy moley. I especially love the fact that 3-5 year olds would be assigned 3 routines. That's how many dances my 13 year olds do. What a crock.

I had a similar experience. I applied for a job at a hip-hop based studio because the owner (a man) said that they needed ballet and technique. First of all, he had two little boys, about 2 and 3, that were there while he was teaching, unsupervised. They were running in and out of the studios while classes were going on, tumbling on the mats, playing with the blinds, yelling and screaming. Then I decided to take an adult contemporary trial class. The teacher was about 17 years old, and so were all of the "adults" in the class. Her choreo and teaching skills were ok, but she kept goofing around with the kids in class. Not to mention (and this was what drove me mental), the other teen dancers kept walking through the studio, coming in and out during the class. Some of them would stay a few minutes and do the choreo, then leave. The rest would come in and laugh and talk in the back of the room. It was a train wreck. I almost walked out of the class. The SO never called me back. Darn.

Stay away from places like this. They have no idea what professionalism is about and need to take some serious business classes, although I don't know if they would really help. Hope you find the studio of your dreams! :)
By godsgiftedchild
On Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:47 PM
Thank you for the responses and for reassuring me suspicions about this studio. I told her that at that age they should be just be enjoying dance and creative movement. She said that it didn't matter if they won at the competition, they just wanted to perform. It's the reason she started the studio because her daughter likes to perform, and having a recital at the end of the year wasn't enough. So basically she opened the studio for her daughter to have more chances to perform. Like I said, not the studio for me.
By missliz404
On Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:54 PM
Edited by missliz404 (171273) on 2011-08-26 12:54:45
Edited by missliz404 (171273) on 2011-08-26 12:55:31
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2011-08-26 23:31:01 Fixed your quote for you.
She said that it didn't matter if they won at the competition, they just wanted to perform.

Oh bull crap. Of course she wants them to win, and she will probably take them to competitions where all they will have to do is shake their booties and they WILL win. How sad. Those poor babies should get taken to a real studio where they get to learn to stand in first position and chasse across the floor.
By Triskitmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Aug 26, 2011 02:42 PM
Wait was it this girls studio?

www.dance.net . . .

I guess not since she's only in 9th grade...haha

Good choice in walking away, what a sham!
By ozriella
On Fri Aug 26, 2011 02:58 PM
WOW!! Three year olds doing three dances? How in the world would they ever remember them? and they are doing lyrical??? Three year old lyrical? I would LOVE to see it!
By SingDanceLaugh
On Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:29 PM
Just a comment on the studio set up thing... while I think it is annoying, it is actually quite a common set up in my neck of the woods. None of the teachers that I know like it, but it is the way that the space is allotted by most of the industrial areas that will rent space to us. The walls are cement, so unless you get in when they are building, you have to go with whatever they give you. Most studios I know make a "hallway" with a curtain rod and drapery.

That being said, the washroom thing is crazy! Also, a senior (17ish, right. I'm Canadian, so I'm not sure if the ages match up) has no place being a teacher period without knowledge of ballet. I'm glad you ran far away!

SingDanceLaugh
By hummingbird
On Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:34 PM
ZOMG 3 year old lyrical? What was it about, I lost my teddy and I'm really sad?

3 year olds doing lyrical is sad!

Good for you for walking away.
re: Are other Comp. Studios like this? (karma: 1)
By Scattered
On Sat Aug 27, 2011 05:20 AM
Often there will be strange studio layout issues and I wouldn't let it affect your opinion of the studio. I've taught at places where the bathroom was in the dance space, or the studio occupied two different locations and I had to take a small hike between classes. That stuff happens. It doesn't always reflect on the strength of instruction or the philosophy of the owner. (The bathroom thing is very difficult for me, personally, because I'm highly distractable. All it takes is one person walking through the classroom for me to completely lose my train of thought.)

On the other hand, the main teacher is 17 years old? The three year olds are competing multiple dances? They don't teach ballet? Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.
By vista5Premium member
On Sat Aug 27, 2011 09:25 AM
If you are still looking for a job, I would bet money that there is a studio just down the street. You know, the one the owners daughter used to take from until she decided she could do a better job. They probably have quite a nice program!

Lyrical for 3 year olds...No, much edgier than I lost my teddy, that would never cut it. Must be something much more tragic, like my kitty was run over. Argh!
By DaDancingPsych
On Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:26 AM
vista5 wrote:

Lyrical for 3 year olds...No, much edgier than I lost my teddy, that would never cut it. Must be something much more tragic, like my kitty was run over. Argh!

I'm confused now. I thought the kitty story was their contemporary dance???

I don't think I need to say that of course not all schools are like that.
By godsgiftedchild
On Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:44 AM
I couldn't ignore the set up of this studio. They basically took a medium space and divided into 2 rooms. The wall that divided the rooms didn't go all the way to the ceiling so their was open space at the top of the wall. There were actually 2 doors that lead to the main dance room so some students were going through both doors and walking in my dance space while going to the lobby.

There were 3 students that were late to their class so they stretched in my room before entering their class which was fine until they started talking to each other. Not to mention that the "main" teacher had the better boombox so she was blasting her music so loud that my class kept asking "what is that noise" every time she turned on her music. And she was talking very loud to them over her music. I couldn't even hear my own music.

Yes that was an easy fix by just asking her to turn her music down but like I said by the end of class it honestly didn't matter to me. By the second class I wss ready to go home. I just hung in their for the sake of the kids. Funny thing is while the SO kept trying to come up with a style of dance for them to do at comp. she kept skipping over ballet and tap.
By J1ll
On Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:57 AM
No they are not all like this. There are more of these wacko studios there should be but they are definitely NOT like this.
This may actually take the cake for horrible studios.
Run do not walk from this studio, and watch for a for lease sign in the next year or so.
By DanceTumbleCheer
On Sat Aug 27, 2011 04:32 PM
Not at all. My competition students are required 1-5 hours of ballet/week depending on age and level.

This place sounds extremely unprofessional.
By missliz404
On Sat Aug 27, 2011 04:42 PM
godsgiftedchild wrote:

Funny thing is while the SO kept trying to come up with a style of dance for them to do at comp. she kept skipping over ballet and tap.

Well of course. That would get in the way of Bollywood and Krumping. Just sayin'....
By DancerGirl05
On Sat Aug 27, 2011 05:14 PM
missliz404 wrote:

godsgiftedchild wrote:

Funny thing is while the SO kept trying to come up with a style of dance for them to do at comp. she kept skipping over ballet and tap.

Well of course. That would get in the way of Bollywood and Krumping. Just sayin'....

Hey! What's wrong with Bollywood and Krumping?! Lol :P
By hummingbird
On Sat Aug 27, 2011 06:24 PM
Krumping? Isn't it more Junking at that level?
By Kitkat13hp
On Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:36 PM
All studios are definitely not like that, although I unfortunately have seen many which are- I definitely agree with you for not taking that position.
By dancer56783
On Wed Oct 12, 2011 08:46 AM
not all studios are like that! I'm glad you realized it and left after the first week
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch