Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

Pilates/Yoga
Just starting Yoga after a LONG time away....thoughts please.
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:08 AM

I used to do Yoga with my grandmother as a small child, but stopped when I got older.

I decided about a year ago I wanted to go back and after a lot of hunting around I found a studio in my area that is responsibly priced and everyone I've spoken with that pracices there really liked, they just opened a studio near where I live so I decided to go there! I went to a Yoga class the other night (only my second time) that was for all levels. The teacher was great and even did some Reiki after class which I loved.

Because this class was for all levels she had us try an inversion where you face away from the wall and kinda spider man your feet up the wall until you are basically an L shape with your feet straight out behind you. But your arms are straight out like in a handstand. I forgot what it was called sorry!

It was a bit too advanced for me and I couldn't do it. (She said since it was my second class I might not be able to).

So I'm thinking I should only try to go to the Beginner classes until I get stronger yeah? Or do you think I should keep trying the all level classes? Because of my schedule I can only go 2-3 times a week so I am a little limited on which classes I can make unfortunately. :(

Thanks and Namaste!

11 Replies to Just starting Yoga after a LONG time away....thoughts please.

re: Just starting Yoga after a LONG time away....thoughts please.
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:18 AM
If there was only one pose you couldn't manage that's not bad after two classes. Well done you!
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:59 PM
^ Oh make no mistake about it there were some others I had a hard time with.....on some of the more difficult poses like the BOW (DHANURASANA) I couldn't quite reach my ankles and cobra up as far as I should have. I almost did it though!
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sat Aug 27, 2011 01:05 PM
Seriously, keep going to this class if your options are limited. This class even with a few bits that are challenging at the moment is better than no class. The more you do the quicker these poses will become easier to manage.
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Sat Aug 27, 2011 08:52 PM
I'd say give it another week or two before you decide. You may find you keep up fairly well. My old instructor taught an all-level class and the difficulty varied from week to week. Like you, sometimes I thought I wasn't doing well but she was very encouraging. Maybe have a chat with the instructor, too and get her opinion.

Namaste, kk~
By tumblebugPremium member Comments: 10100, member since Fri Mar 29, 2002
On Sat Aug 27, 2011 09:15 PM
You are so lucky!!! There are no Yoga studios in this area. I tried some classes at the local Y but they weren't all that great :(

I'm glad you found a place and Yoga is all about your own personal journey so take your time and relax. Don't worry about pushing yourself too hard; it will all come in time ;)
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:03 PM
I kind of get a kick out of taking classes that are a little too hard. So me, I'd be there with bells on, hah!

If the instructor is good to you and helps you out, and it fits in to your timing and budget, then why not take it?
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:10 PM
If you have an all levels class...then the teacher should give you a level 1, 2, and 3 modification for the pose. A skilled teacher should be able to work with all levels if that is the description of the class.

I love beginners classes because I primarily go to yoga for the breath work and to calm my mind down and not usually for a strenuous workout...but I think you'd be bored to just stay there...and if it is a class where they have lots of new people often you may never gain the strength necessary for some of the advanced poses like you would in the all levels class.
re: Just starting Yoga after a LONG time away....thoughts please. (karma: 1)
By CrayolaPremium member Comments: 1549, member since Sat Feb 26, 2005
On Sun Aug 28, 2011 02:01 AM
hylndlas wrote:

^ Oh make no mistake about it there were some others I had a hard time with.....on some of the more difficult poses like the BOW (DHANURASANA) I couldn't quite reach my ankles and cobra up as far as I should have. I almost did it though!

Don't worry about how far you should go into a posture. Just work with your body for that day. Does your studio have straps? If you are having difficulty reaching your ankles, a strap could help while you gain the strength and flexibility to lift your chest off the floor and kick your legs up. You could also modify and stick with full locust pose until you have the strength.

Load up on the beginner classes, as this will give you a strong foundation. You will improve quicker with this method. If your schedule does not allow, it would be OK o take the more advanced classes, just make sure you are listening to your body and not rushing any poses.

The pose you did is a hand stand prep and it will get easier. You could also talk to your instructor and see if s/he has any modifications to offer.

Best of luck :)
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:09 AM
If you have an all levels class...then the teacher should give you a level 1, 2, and 3 modification for the pose. A skilled teacher should be able to work with all levels if that is the description of the class.

Mmhm, yes. My teacher did this, now that you mention it. The part of the class that was less advanced enjoyed watching the advanced yoga students take the pose further. I remember thinking, "wow, I want to get good enough to do that!" I miss my yoga class. I have more time now, I need to get back into it.

kk~
On Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:25 AM
Thank you everyone!

She did give me an alternate posture to try which I was able to do.

I thought about it some more and I think I'll continue to go to this class because even though I struggled a little I still enjoyed it. :)
By Danceaholic31 Comments: 20, member since Fri Sep 30, 2011
On Sun Oct 16, 2011 06:50 PM
I would say to take the highest level you think to can handle. I started yoga up again a year ago. It was really hard at first (flexability and endurance wise) but after a few weeks I was good to go again. I do yoga at a YMCA, so I have the option to goto a beginner or advanced class as I please. Not sure what your situation is, but just do what you can handle :)!

ReplySendWatch