Forum: Arts / Diaries

Page:
Page 5 of 7: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
re: Semper Fi Wife
By Tansey
On Sat Feb 11, 2012 03:37 PM
I lived in DC for many years. The first thing I always had my visitors do was take the Tourmobile tour. It stops at all the major points of interest. You can get off at anything that interests you, or just stay on the bus and listen to the narrated tour, which gives you a good overview of what DC has to offer. There's another bus every 20 minutes I think, so you can stay as long or as little as you like. In addition to the various Smithsonian museums, it also stops at the Lincoln & Jefferson memorials, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, the Capitol, Arlington Cemetery and more. www.tourmobile.com

I'd do the sights one day, and if you like museums, maybe hit a few Smithsonian museums another day. Georgetown is a fun place to walk around. There's no Metro stop there, but it's an easy walk from the Foggy Bottom stop. The National Zoo is a short walk from either the Cleveland Park or the Dupont Circle stop on the Metro's Red Line. You'll have a blast; DC is a great city to visit.
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Feb 14, 2012 01:50 PM
Thanks for the info, Tansey! We've decided to do this a little further into the future, possibly for my birthday in June. I do appreciate all the tips and ideas you guys have given me, it's made this planning a whole lot easier!

This morning BJ left at 4:30 and won't be home until MAYBE midnight tonight. They're doing an HST (don't know what that stands for) and a handful of guys get selected for it about once a week. I'm okay with it though because I have a ton of stuff to do around the house, and whenever he comes home at night I usually drop whatever I was doing because he's such a distraction lol.

Today is also my friend's birthday. We're going to dinner somewhere and then to watch the roller derby league practice. The coach said she'll bring extra gear in case we want to try it out, but I'm pretty sure we'll be sitting on the sidelines today. It should be exciting.

The dates have changed AGAIN for his month-long training! This is driving me a little crazy. Oh well, as long as I tell my old boss two weeks before I plan to work I can still get hours. It still drives me crazy though because I have no patience and I just want to know now.

Boy Meets World is on MTV right now and it's cracking me up. I'm guessing it's a Halloween one where they are 'trapped' in the school and everyone seems to be dying. I don't remember ever seeing this one before so it has me highly entertained.

Hope you guys are having a good Valentine's Day. :)
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Feb 14, 2012 02:46 PM
LOL, "And Then There Was Shawn" is such a great episode of Boy Meets World.

"We'll always remember he was this tall..."

Cracks me up every time!
On Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:40 AM
Another perk of military life (well, more for my husband than for me I guess) is 96-hour weekend liberties for holidays! Thanks to President's Day he'll be off from 9am tomorrow until sometime on Tuesay. Last 96-hr pass he was off Fri-Mon, then had to go in on Tuesday at 3pm. BUT he got released again at 5pm so it was no big deal. Awesome. :)

We were planning on going to a big beach town this weekend, but rain keeps coming in and out of the forecast so I'm not sure if we'll venture down there or not. Just in case we don't go, we've been thinking of things to do indoors.

I've really been loving the fact that I get to paint my nails again! When I worked we weren't allowed to wear any, so I never bothered to paint them at all. It's the little things in life!
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Feb 16, 2012 06:31 PM
^ I wrote the same thing in my diary a few days ago, lol. <3 nail polish.
On Tue Feb 21, 2012 07:38 AM
So...those of you on facebook may have already seen this, BUT...

Image hotlink - 'https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/402052_3438107595725_1361553116_3469289_2121584049_n.jpg'

I got a new car! More later. :D
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Feb 21, 2012 02:44 PM
Nice car Krystal!

Jon
On Tue Feb 21, 2012 08:21 PM
Thanks Jon!

My husband had 96-hours off duty for President's Day so we had an awesome weekend. We playe disc golf 2 days in a row, which was hard on me because I have never played before. My shoulder is still a little sore from throwing the frisbee!

We also went out to eat soooo much. We'd go out to dinner and have leftovers for lunch the next day. Or go to lunch and have leftovers for dinner. So basically I didn't have to cook all weekend. I don't mind cooking but it was so nice getting a little break, because that also means NO DISHES! Woooo.

On Monday we went car looking. Looking. We were just getting ideas for what we'd be able to afford, find out exactly what we want, etc. However, just looking didn't last long because I pretty much fell in love with the Jeep when I saw it. I was so nervous it would end up costing more than we could afford, but we were able to talk the salesman down on the price on the spot. It was a blessing.

Specs: 2004 Liberty 4x4, 77k miles.

I knew I didn't want a car; I've always felt safer in things that are higher off the ground for some reason. I test drove it and was amazed at how smooth it drove for a Jeep! My step-dad's was always really rocky and tossed you around a bit, but I'm guessing that's because he had a lift kit on it. Everytime I get a glimpse out our front window I'm still kind of in shock because I can't believe I have a car again. It's so nice and I don't feel prisoner to my own house! ;)

Well, back to the grind tomorrow. I've decided to get a small part-time job just to help out with insurance/gas/etc for the new car. I feel bad BJ will have to pay for all this. Anyway, I've applied at one of the Subways here just for kicks even though I'm trying to avoid food service. I was so sure I wanted to keep going with it, but after being away from it for a month already I'm not so sure. However if I do get a call back I'll definitely consider it. After all, it will only be part time and I'm sure I won't be a manager again like previously. You never know though.

Hope you guys had a good weekend!
On Fri Feb 24, 2012 01:39 PM
Edited by Krystal (73000) on 2012-02-24 13:40:27 tried to add pics, but netbook didn't like that :(
Wow, can't believe it's Friday already! The rest of the week flew by.

Our 'good' laptop broke last night. It just...quit working. The blue screen of death. We have no idea what happened to it, but probably has something to do with the fact that it was only $200 and was bought on a whim because we NEEDED one. We're a little depressed about it...but it's just a computer. Luckily all of our pictures/music is split up between our netbooks so we didn't lose anything valuable. The netbooks are just terrible and obnoxious to use because they're so slow and glitchy. But I won't complain too much because at least we can still get on the internet. Not to mention it's hard to get used to typing on a tiny keyboard again! ;)

Biiiig storms coming tonight! I'm pretty excited though. BJ- not so much. It's funny because both him and my brother don't like storms at all. That's funny coming from military guys but whatever. I guess everyone has a little fear in them somewhere.

I've been watching House reruns all day waiting for hubby to get home. He texted me and said he's on his way and will be here soon. Yay :D
On Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:00 AM
I'll be back with a proper post later...but this should tide you over:

Image hotlink - 'https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/425489_3523868739700_1361553116_3515495_1395190174_n.jpg'

Our new little girl, Sadie! She's a Jack Russell terrier and oh so adorable.
On Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:04 AM
I made a post on the Pets board about Sadie if you guys want to head over there for the longer story!

My husband had went to get his weekly haircut on Sunday and came back saying that on the way back he had stopped by to look at the Jack Russell's and was going to get me one as a surprise. He's the WORST with keeping a secret and I totally knew something was up because it never takes an hour to get his haircut! So when he spilled the beans at home, we both headed back to see the puppies and talk to the owners. There were so many pups! Sadie was the only girl left in her litter, and while we didn't really want a girl at first, she seemed the most friendly and kept licking our faces when we picked her up.

She always falls asleep on BJ. It's like he's a sleep magnet. He'll throw her ball for her a little bit, then she'll wear out and fall asleep on his arm or stomach or any other inconvenient place she can get to. She won't sleep through the night yet (we're crate training her) but we have found that if one of us lays (lies?) down next to her cage she'll fall asleep in a few minutes. Just as long as she stays out of the bed! I know some people think it's "mean" that I don't want to share our bed with an animal, but I just think that's weird and I personally don't want her to get used to sleeping there and then expect it every single night.

Other than puppy, things have been going well. It's almost time for BJ's month long trip for pre-deployment training. I'm not looking forward to that, but 1) at least it's only thirty days, and 2) I have a puppy to stay busy with now. I also plan on going "home" for a couple weeks and possibly working at Subway.

OH! That reminds me. That new job I started...yeah. It was AWFUL. It started off okay, but everything I did was wrong apparently. Ummm hello...?! Our Subway consultant (the one who was going to get me a job down here) is the one who expects things to be done a certain way, and I know theirs is no different (their current consultant used to be ours a few years ago). My first day, I worked 6-4 with NO BREAK. When I asked about it, the manager (who was texting/calling people from her personal cell phone all day) said, "Oh, we don't take breaks here. Sorry." Um what the heck? She then proceeded to say that if I wanted to take out the trash I could smoke. WHAT?! So they'll give employees smoke breaks but no time to eat lunch?! That's absolutely ridiculous. Before I went in all I ate was a bowl of oatmeal because I expected to get a lunch break you know, like other jobs give. By the time I got off, ten hours later, I was so sick. My head was pounding, I was super shaky and I just wanted to go to sleep. I made dinner but I guess I was so hungry I had no appetite. Sounds weird, but that happens to me sometimes.

Needless to say, I quit. It sounds like two small things to quit over, but there was so much more that went on that just wasn't right. One other thing: I had made X amount at my other Subway and when I started here, I was started at minimum wage! I mean, I have 6.5 years experience and they're going to start me at minimum? It was like a slap in the face. Ughhh. I get to annoyed just thinking about it. I called the manager and quit about an hour after I got home. She was like, "Oh no!!! What was wrong?!? We'll miss you." Pffttt. Whatever.

Anyway I'm guessing I made like $40 that day after taxes, so that will be deposited to my account at some point.

Shew. I sound so ridiculous in this post, it's kind of all over the place! I just had a lot to update on. Sadie is sleeping right next to me so I always have to use her naptimes to do productive stuff around the house. Not that computer time is productive. Off to do the dishes, then clean our bedroom. And maybe put makeup on. Maybe.

Image hotlink - 'https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/428114_3535419948473_1361553116_3520303_1125125483_n.jpg'
Her during her morning nap.

Image hotlink - 'https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/425659_3527008458191_1361553116_3517046_727618129_n.jpg'
The first night we got her. Notice how little she is. :)

Image hotlink - 'https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/419825_3524347071658_1505432425_n.jpg'
Cuddling with hubby on the first night (I think she likes him best).

Also, I'm going to add this to my post on the Pets board, but: What do you guys think of obedience classes at PetSmart? That's really my only option in this town unless I want to drive a little distance. Are they good classes and worth the money? I'll drive to another city if the ones at PetSmart are terrible, but just thought I'd ask.
On Mon Mar 12, 2012 03:09 PM
I've been so addicted to Pinterest lately! It's so easy to waste time on there because people are constantly pinning things and there's always new stuff to look at. I can't wait to go thrifting when I go "home" and see if I can find similar items.

Anyone watched the Semper Fidelis: Always Faithful documentary on Netflix? It's pretty sad and concerns me a little bit. I haven't mentioned where we're located before, but the documentary talks about the water contamination at Camp Lejeune. Apparently it's taken care of now, but I definitely don't want to drink the water here. We buy bottled water just because I'm so paranoid. We still shower in it and wash clothes in it so...hoping future kiddos will be okay. Aaah.

The weather was beautiful today. Low 70's and a bit breezy. Tomorrow it's supposed to be almost 80 with thunderstorms, which is oddly my favorite type of weather. I seriously can't wait until summer! Definitely my favorite season.

Slight change of plans...I'll be heading "home" this Sunday because my husband will now be stuck on the rifle range and won't be able to come home all week. So we figured I might as well just head to mom's since I won't be able to see him anyway. I hate goodbyes, omg. That's something mil wives never enjoy...we just learn to deal with it. I will probably still cry my eyes out for the first hundred miles or so until I have to pull myself together because I have to make a bathroom stop. Always do.
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Mar 12, 2012 07:48 PM
My mom brought her dog to Petsmart and so did a friend of mine...both were happy with the classes so if it's a pretty standard thing from location to location I'd say to give them a try. :)
On Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:16 AM
^I'm still undecided :/ You wouldn't think it's a huge deal but I keep going back and forth! One of the guys my husband works with offered to train her for us, he works with the Wounded Warrior service dogs so I KNOW she'd get excellent training. However he does want significantly more money than PetSmart, BUT I think it would be well worth it especially since he offered to come to our house. Decisions, decisions!

We took her to her first vet check up this morning.One of the first questions they asked was where she was from, and when we mentioned the breeder's name the doctor was like, "Oh, good. As long as she isn't from so-and-so." He continued to explain the other breeder's dogs have problem after problem and they just aren't great quality. So it was a breath of fresh air to know we have a dog with a good bloodline.

Anyway, they weighed her and she's a whopping 4.5 pounds! So little. Her tail was wagging pretty much the whole time and she loooved the attention.
On Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:08 PM
Image hotlink - 'https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/392487_3645079649897_1361553116_3568932_908929826_n.jpg'

Got my nose pierced yesterday as my late Christmas present from my brother! He's been home on leave for the past week and goes home tomorrow. Then he's off to Afghanistan in a few weeks. :/

I've also been at mom's house this past week...also happened to leave my cell phone charger at home. Of course I would do that! I have no memory. I've been trying to borrow one but no one seems to have one that works! I thought all Blackberry chargers were compatible with different Blackberries; that would make the most sense. Oh well.

Off to dinner in a couple hours. Brother is treating us all to Pizza Hut! Super excited.
On Thu Mar 29, 2012 06:28 AM
rfojsldkmsdlcefkwek29iwofkdcm.

I've been so frustrated the last couple of days! The time difference between my husband and me is so hard to deal with. I guess just because we're not used to it. Don't really have much else to say except for that. It just sucks at the moment.

Yesterday I got an odd facebook message from a lady on base who sells Mary Kay...she says she was looking at my photos and saw that I had "beautiful" skin and wanted to use me as a face model for her portfolio. Lol. um...sounds sketchy to me because 1) my pictures are private (I hope) on facebook unless you're my friend, and 2) just the words she used made her sound almost desperate. Sorry lady, no portfolio pics from me.

It's supposed to be really nice weather today. I found an awesome maxi dress at a thrift store for only $3 so I plan on wearing it. Gave all my extra quarters a good use.

Little Sadie is doing really well. She's almost 6 lbs now and still eats like a horse. She loooves to play outside with my parent's dog and I know she's going to be so sad when we go home and there's no big yard and no other dog. Oh well. We plan on moving in January 2013 to an actual house with a yard so hopefully she can hold out until then.

Some pics from when my brother was here:
Spoiler: Show
Image hotlink - 'https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/548457_3644987447592_1361553116_3568842_1727664365_n.jpg'
Image hotlink - 'https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/306649_3644991207686_1361553116_3568849_1435662036_n.jpg'
Image hotlink - 'https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/530647_3645008448117_1361553116_3568877_1246914831_n.jpg'

And then this cute one of my sister and the puppy:
Image hotlink - 'https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/293775_3663814318252_1361553116_3579468_616480831_n.jpg'
She exclaimed, "LOOK!!! I can pick her up and she won't bite me!!! Take a picture!!!" It was so funny. She gets bit all the time by Sadie because she is sooo rough with her. Had no idea my sis had an evil streak but she terrorizes the poor dog at times.
On Fri Mar 30, 2012 05:47 AM
This video is from the town I lived in before I moved. It's so sweet! I was at the mall a couple hours earlier and sad I missed it!

news.yahoo.com . . .
On Mon Apr 02, 2012 04:28 PM
Edited by Krystal (73000) on 2012-04-02 16:29:59
Hi guys! :)

Image hotlink - 'https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/427777_3708916325774_1361553116_3601464_2088599137_n.jpg'

I took the above picture before church yesterday morning. I was in love with my hair! Mom braided it for me the night before and it came out really awesome. So I had to take a picture of course.

I'm currently pretty bored. My sister and I were outside with the dogs a little while ago but it started getting windy so we came inside. Right now I'm just listening to iTunes, I downloaded a few new songs and I always listen to new downloads on repeat for whatever reason lol.

I start working again tomorrow. I didn't really want to but my manager basically begged me to come back for a month while BJ is gone since they really need extra help. Luckily I'll be working all short daytime shifts so it's really not that bad. Only bad part is I have to board my puppy every Thursday and Friday because my mom has classes with my little sis on those days and won't be home. Oh well.

Sadie is doing really well! She's still super sweet and loooves attention. I still love her little tail when it wags a thousand miles an hour, so precious!
Image hotlink - 'https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/526184_3688118405839_1361553116_3591611_2071894844_n.jpg'

She'll be 12 weeks on Wednesday.

Hope you all have a good week!
On Wed Apr 11, 2012 06:34 AM
Two vents ahead:

1. Just blocked four people on facebook, all siblings. One of them is such a loud mouth and I just couldn't take it anymore. EVERYTHING that I post is reported to his mom, and then all the siblings who in turn gossip about it. I work with the mom and when she blabs something, I'm like, "Where did you hear that?!" And she gets all quiet and then admits it was one of her kids. Also blocked all them on twitter. These kids have to be in everyone's business and have to know EVERYTHING about everyone. It was a huge scandal that I got my nose pierced apparently. ughhhh. I used to be really good friend's with this lady's daughter (like three years ago) until she basically admitted she was jealous that my boyfriend (now husband) wanted to go out with me instead of her. Such dramz.

2. Whyyyy is the internet connection SO bad at military bases?!?!? Every time we try to Skype his end is always super glitchy and the sound is terrible. And he usually gets booted off at least once during the conversation. It sucks! At least we get to talk at all though so I'm trying not to be too irritated. When/if he deploys it's guaranteed to be a lot worse!

Don't know if I mentioned before but I do have a blog! It started off as a young marriage blog but since last year it's moved to a mil spouse blog basically.

www.thatrecruitswife.blogspot.com . . .
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Apr 11, 2012 06:38 AM
I just wanted to pop in and say Sadie is ADORABLE. I'm more of a cat person, but who can resist a puppy? :D
On Wed Apr 11, 2012 06:44 AM
Thanks! I'm definitely more of a cat person too (they're so much more laid-back and don't go a hundred mph all the time!) but I do love my Sadie. :)
On Thu Apr 12, 2012 06:21 PM
Image hotlink - 'https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/385727_3780119105799_1361553116_3636488_755006373_n.jpg'

Since we can't Skype for the next few days I got a picture instead. :)

BJ called me at work this morning and I always freak out a little when he does that, especially now that he has a 'dangerous' job. They were supposed to be on a ten day break starting today. He was calling to tell me the whole thing got revoked from everyone because last night a guy in his unit got involved with a hit and run (the guy in BJ's unit was driving). So now everyone is punished. Some people are just so stupid. Husband was really looking forward to this because they were all planning a trip to the Grand Canyon. Guess not anymore. :/

I've been on Pinterest a ton lately pinning tons of DIY projects to keep me busy once I go home. I've been steadily buying the stuff I need for them so I have it all ready. I've got some really cute ideas and can't wait to make them! However I did not know that finding black foam poster board would be so hard. It was out at two stores I checked, one didn't even carry it, and the other only had the regular poster board. Hmmm.

I'm going home next Friday and I'm actually very excited. Can't wait to get back into MY routine and get my puppy re-adjusted to my house again. Also on that Friday my manager/good friend and I are going on a girl's night and we're each getting our tragus pierced! We've each wanted it for about a year now and figured this was a good time to do it before I leave again. I'm honestly more nervous about this than I was my nose- I hear there's a big "crunch" noise and that kinda creeps me out a little bit. Not scared about the pain but that noise...*shudder*.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Apr 12, 2012 08:41 PM

I'm going home next Friday and I'm actually very excited. Can't wait to get back into MY routine and get my puppy re-adjusted to my house again. Also on that Friday my manager/good friend and I are going on a girl's night and we're each getting our tragus pierced! We've each wanted it for about a year now and figured this was a good time to do it before I leave again. I'm honestly more nervous about this than I was my nose- I hear there's a big "crunch" noise and that kinda creeps me out a little bit. Not scared about the pain but that noise...*shudder*.

The guy that did my tragus pointed out to me that every piercing crunches, you just only hear about the crunch with the tragus piercing because it's pretty much inside your ear.

Mine was by far the most painful piercing I've ever had, and far and away the most dramatic healer of the lot. There was at least one course of antibiotics involved, it was that terrible. I was a year in before I'd consider it even possibly remotely healed.

It's not as much painful, as it is *odd* when you get it done - all the sudden, there's a ton of pressure and pulling on an area of your body that basically never takes any pressure or pulling. It's weird.

Even still though, I love it. :D If I had the money, I'd get the other side done in a second!
On Fri Apr 13, 2012 06:26 AM
Now that you mention every piercing "crunches" that makes more sense. Guess it's obvious they all do now that I think about it :P

I'm a pretty good healer so I'm hoping it won't give me too many problems. All my lobes healed well, belly button is great, nose is still doing well. I'm just excited and want it to be over with!
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Apr 13, 2012 06:39 AM
My tragus didn't hurt much at all. I had the left one pierced twice & the right one pierced once. I took them out years ago, but they rarely gave me any trouble. My most painful one was definitely the VCH, but that's to be expected. My dermal hurt because there was a 250 lbs guy leaning on my chest to get it in. Everyone's different & even different on every day. If you're close to your period, believe it or not, it can actually hurt more. The only one I have left is my belly button & that's because no one ever sees it. I've batted around the idea of getting my nose repierced because my job would allow it, but I'm not sure how well it would go over were I to get promoted.

I haven't gotten to talk about my piercings in so long, I'm rambling. Hope some of that was helpful.
Page:
Page 5 of 7: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed