Forum: Arts / Diaries

Page:
Page 7 of 7: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
re: Semper Fi Wife (karma: 1)
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jun 15, 2012 04:07 AM
While I was never in service (exempted from the draft because I was already a DOD civilian employee in a critical skill -Arabic linguist) I spent my entire 35 years career working with the military in all services...even the Coast Guard a couple of times.

For a civilian, I've been to more than my share of USMC parties, particularly when I was down in Gitmo Cuba where I worked with an all-USMC outfit ( 2nd Radio Battalion, based at LeJeune, and Company L their Gitmo outpost. I don't believe this unit exists anymore as my understanding is my old facility there has been closed) and on two occasions I was there for the Corps' birthday celebration which at Gitmo is traditionally done 10 days after the real birthday so the USMC Drill Team and Drum and Bugle Corps can go down there. (The Drill Team and D&B Corps have duty at USMC HQ at 8th & I Street SW in Washington on the actual birthday celebration.) I've also been at numerous private parties held in my team's honor while down there. (Any excuse for a party.) One of the more memorable ones was at Company L's XO's quarters one Saturday night and my engineer and I were the guests of honor. It was advertised as a "Pina Colada" party and it was said that the XO was a master at making these.

Pina Coladas can be quite addictive, of course, they go down quite smoothly. I'm not really all that much of a drinker and usually can stretch two or three drinks out for a whole evening.

Unbeknownst to me, there was a crisis in the middle of the party. Our host and hostess ran out of rum. But another Marine guest at the party who lived just across the street saved the day...he had a supply of rum in his quarters. What I didn't know until later was that instead of the usual 80 proof rum, he brought over 151 proof anejo rum. This stuff is strong enough to remove varnish. So pina coladas # 2 and 3 that I had that night were made with this. Now three pina coladas stretched out over a four hour party would not affect me in the least. But I had a real warm and fuzzy feeling after these two drinks, and didn't know why. My engineer had 3 or 4 of these stronger ones and was feeling no pain. By the time the party was over we had a torrential rainstorm the likes of which one can only see in the tropics. Fortunately there is only one road at Gitmo and the BOQ where we were billeted was only about a quarter mile from the party. The rain helped to clear the buzz a bit but I was a good thing we could drive, as we were both too shaky to walk! We made it back safely.

So be careful. USMC parties can be the stuff of legend.

Jon
re: Semper Fi Wife
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jun 15, 2012 02:37 PM
Wow Jon, crazy story! No worries though, that was my first time at that party and also my last. BJ doesn't want to go back any more either so I'm thankful for that!
re: Semper Fi Wife
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jun 17, 2012 08:27 PM
BJ came home this morning at around 2...so much for being home around 8! I ended up going to bed around 10 last night because I was exhausted from baking in the sun all day. A friend and I were planning on going to the beach for just two hours...that turned into five because we just got so caught up talking. Now half of my body is burnt and I look kind of ridiculous. Oh well.

Earlier today I was playing with Sadie and BJ photo-bombed us and kept taking pictures so here's a few of our little puppy. I always think she looks so small but I think in the first picture she looks pretty big!

Spoiler: Show
Image hotlink - 'https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/401876_4259155841418_664885874_n.jpg'

Image hotlink - 'https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/285706_4259156321430_451606559_n.jpg'

Image hotlink - 'https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/318189_4259156961446_2009253078_n.jpg'

There was a Jack Russell at the beach yesterday and he LOVED the water! It was soooo unlike Sadie. I'm kinda jealous because I wish our dog liked the water too :P Sadie is so sweet and petite and just adorable. I always thought JRT's were supposed to be bigger than her, but then again she's just barely over five months old and still growing. She's about ten pounds now and still has SO much energy. She can play fetch for hours, literally.

Anyway...it's almost dinner time. I'm cooking a new recipe tonight so I hope it comes out alright! Here's a link if anyone is interested: www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com . . . I get sooo many recipes off of her blog, they're so easy and most of all delicious!
Page:
Page 7 of 7: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed