Forum: Arts / Pets

Dog left home alone
By Dancer456
On Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:44 PM

My boyfriend and I got a dog almost a year ago, we love her to death, but recently, our circumstances have changed, meaning the dog is left alone for longer than I'd like during the day. She is still the centre of attention when we're home, gets played with and walked everyday, however, I am worried that she gets very lonely during the day. She never shows any clasic signs of boredom or anything, such as chewing or destroying things while we're gone, but still it seems a long day for her to be left alone.

She's a real dog's dog if you know what I mean, she's not too fond of people other than myself, my boyfriend and my Mom, but loves other dogs. We're more than willing to get another dog to keep her company, if it would help, but maybe she's perfectly happy and another dog would upset her routine. I grew up with two dogs at home, and they always loved each other. I just don't really know what to do.

Anybody have any opinion? Experiences? There seems to be pros and cons to all ideas we come up with, so other people's opinions, particularly those of people who have experienced something similar would be great.

10 Replies to Dog left home alone

re: Dog left home alone
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:56 PM
What about doggie daycare?
By Dancer456
On Mon Aug 29, 2011 01:00 PM
Edited by Dancer456 (117824) on 2011-08-29 13:05:18
Thanks for your reply. That is also an option I'm looking into. It's quite difficult to find where I live (Ireland), there are dog walking services, but I really don't know how comfortable I'd be giving the keys to my home, and access to my dog to a stranger. I don't know any dog owners in my area to recommend somebody reputeable, maybe I'm being paranoid.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Aug 29, 2011 01:27 PM
I didn't realize you were in Ireland... if there are a shortage of doggie daycares it might be a business opprotunity.

Is there a neighbor that has a dog that your dog can have playdates with after work or something like that?
By highlandrebelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Aug 29, 2011 01:31 PM
How long is she home alone now?

If she is fine with it and it is not too long, I would stick to this routine.
Doggie Daycare can be very stressful for dogs, even those who love other dogs. Bringing in a dog walker would be great, but if your dog is stressed by new people then it would be something you would have to ease into slowly.
By gottadance12member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Aug 29, 2011 02:19 PM
Would it be possible for you to get someone you trust and that the dog is familiar with to come in once a day and let the dog out/play for while? It may not be an option for you but occasionally when I know I have to be gone all day, I ask my grandma to come in around lunchtime and just let our dogs out for a quick pee and give them some attention. I feel like it kind of breaks up the day for them, and our dogs are always really excited to see her. However, my grandma lives very close and loves our dogs, so I don't feel I'm imposing. Maybe you could look into something like that..? I also agree with the others that are saying its not a huge deal as long as she doesn't appear to be stressed. Of course it depends on how long she is alone for, but chances are she'll be okay.
By Dancer456
On Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:12 AM
Thanks guys for all your help, and reassurance! I'm going from a part time job to being a full time student, probably out from 8/9am until 3/4pm. She seems quite content, and she loves to chew things like bones and raw hide, so I've stocked up on them for when I'm out. She's also getting loads fo attention and walks when we're in, so we'll see how it goes. I don't think we'll be getting another dog unless she really starts to show signs of boredom. I think she does enjoy being queen of the castle, so we'll leave her in her own routine for the time being I think :)
By Tansey
On Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:03 AM
^My dog was home alone for almost those same hours on weekdays for 3 of the last 4 years, and he seemed to have no problems. He'd sleep while we were out, and whoever got home first would take him for a long walk or run. A year ago my daughter brought home a kitten, allegedly as company for the dog. The 2 animals seem to do fine together all day. We've had no problems. I wouldn't worry unless you start to see behavior changes.
On Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:11 AM
That sounds fine to me, not to long for an adult dog to be alone.
By AnnaLauren1
On Sat Sep 10, 2011 01:18 AM
I am sure your dog is perfectly content sleeping all day. That is most likely what she does when you are gone. My dog does, and he is happy as can be. A dog's sense of time isn't like ours. I bet she hardly notices the difference. Your dog isn't human. Time alone like that is something a human might be concerned about, not a dog. It is a human concept. Neglection would be one thing, but that isn't the case here.
On Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:36 PM
^ Dogs have excellent internal clocks and are very aware of changes in schedule. It is not only a human concept.

ReplySendWatch