Forum: Advice / GLBT PG-13

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
GLBT PG-13
ABC receives complaints about Chaz Bono's addition to 'DWTS'
By tumblebugPremium member Comments: 10100, member since Fri Mar 29, 2002
On Tue Aug 30, 2011 04:59 PM

tv.msn.com . . .

I was reading the comments below the article and just astounded at how judgmental and flat out mean people are. I don't think it should even be an issue. Period.

26 Replies to ABC receives complaints about Chaz Bono's addition to 'DWTS'

re: ABC receives complaints about Chaz Bono's addition to 'DWTS'
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6075, member since Tue Dec 20, 2005
On Tue Aug 30, 2011 05:21 PM
Yeah...unfortunately, this doesn't surprise me too much. While many people aren't fazed at all by trans people, many others are still very, very threatened and uncomfortable with the idea of people who transgress gender boundaries. Threats and assaults against trans people are still very real and fairly common, as sad as that is.

I, for one, don't give a crap about Chaz's gender, and I wish the people who are complaining so much would try to educate themselves a little more, or at the very least have some respect and give it a rest.
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11250, member since Tue Feb 26, 2002
On Tue Aug 30, 2011 05:56 PM
Edited by Odessa (22571) on 2011-08-30 18:00:34
Wow, those comments. Transphobia, homophobia and fatphobia all wrapped up in one big, ugly parcel of bigotry.

Poor Chaz. I hope he absolutely tears up that dancefloor. All the best to him :)

Erin.
::righteous babe::
re: ABC receives complaints about Chaz Bono's addition to 'DWTS' (karma: 1)
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Wed Aug 31, 2011 02:59 AM
"YOUR choice to bring Chaz Bono into the mix goes too far. I am not about to risk the potential for on screen dialogue about sex changes and gender confusion while my 7 and 9 year old are watching. If you want the "anything goes" hippy culture, then soon that is all you will get. You've lost us. In case any of you are wondering ... no, we are NOT tolerant. We are not tolerant to allow any and all influences to come unfiltered into our home and especially to our children. This is truly a sad farewell."

Wow. Just wow.

I would like to say right now that Elijah, at 5, understands the concept of transgender and is totally accepting of it as a part of life. It was never uncomfortable or awkward talking to him about my two FTM trans friends. Those people who can't discuss these issues with their children are just perpetuating the notion that there's "something wrong with that lifestyle choice". *eyeroll* As if it's a choice.

Helen
By HardestWorker Comments: 1075, member since Sun Apr 25, 2004
On Wed Aug 31, 2011 04:44 AM
I just don't understand people...this makes me so angry. Most kids probably wouldn't know the difference, watching the show; I doubt much of the conversation will be aimed towards that on the show. It's too heavy of a topic for DWTS.

Grr! Now I'm in a bad mood.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Wed Aug 31, 2011 07:47 AM
James doesn't understand the ideas behind transgender, because it's nothing he's ever been exposed to, or at least, nothing that he's ever been aware that he was exposed to (I've seen some obviously trans people, but I didn't make an issue of it, and he didn't ask any questions). When he watches DWTS with me, he'll see exactly what he's supposed to see - a guy, dancing. That's pretty much that.

I doubt much of the conversation will be aimed towards that on the show. It's too heavy of a topic for DWTS.

I agree - if DWTS brings it up at ALL (and if he makes it far enough that they do the bit on him growing up, they might have to, because all the pictures they'll show will be of a little girl...), it'll be only in the most broad, PC terms they can come up with. It's not like they're saying everyone should go through gender reassignment!

From the thing oz_helen quoted;

In case any of you are wondering ... no, we are NOT tolerant. We are not tolerant to allow any and all influences to come unfiltered into our home and especially to our children. This is truly a sad farewell."

Who was wondering?!
By tumblebugPremium member Comments: 10100, member since Fri Mar 29, 2002
On Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:02 AM
I agree with your comments. I think it's crap that anyone has a problem with it period. Chaz has the right to live the lifestyle that he wants and if he identifies with being a male over a female- then so be it. The concept of the show doesn't have to change or be altered in any way for Chaz to have the opportunity to be on it.
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:29 AM
Chaz has led a very tortured life. I just want him to find some peace, acceptance and love SOMEWHERE. I am not sure DWTS is the place for it, but what a way to represent the transgender community and shed a little light on it so some people that are open might be a little more educated and understanding.

I'm not a DWTS watcher, but honestly that would make me watch and support the show.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:34 AM
I personally could not care less... he was a she, was miserable as such, became a he, became happy (I know there is a lot more to it than that). But quite honestly I am just happy that he is happy being who he is now. I really don't care if he changed species.

I think unless they bring it up on the show it doesn't matter because most kids will just see a guy dancing.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6815, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:50 AM
This sickens me. Literally.

I remember Chaz as a child, dressed in a little tuxedo. Even then he knew.

It is just disgusting that parents of a 5 year old proudly state, "We are not tolerant." I swear, there ought to be a test people have to pass before they are allowed to raise children. This is the only occupation I know of which is vital to society which is left in the hands of amateurs.

I am not about to risk the potential for on screen dialogue about sex changes and gender confusion while my 7 and 9 year old are watching.

If the person who wrote this is so arrogant to believe that ANY dialogue with their own children is a RISK I feel sorry for the children. Can you imagine if one of their "sons" was among the rare children who are found to possess ovaries and require trans-gender surgery to be "normal"? Or, statistically more likely,if one of these children is gay?

This kind of ignorance also begs the question, "Since when does DWTS discuss the medical history of any of the contestants?"

There seems to be a never ending supply of idiots in the world.
Image hotlink - 'http://www.famousquotesabout.com/quoteImage/70065/Think-of-how-stupid.jpg'

It's frightening!

Keep On Dancing*
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Fri Sep 02, 2011 01:09 PM
It's absolutely disgraceful that people are allowed to spew such venom. I did read that Chaz has said all the criticism and bigotry have made him that much more determined to succeed. Good for him!

That said, I think he could have chosen a better show. :? I'm not a fan of DWTS, it's 'dancing with the has-beens'. How about they call it Dancing With The Pros and focus on the real dancers?

Now, ABDC? THAT'S an excellent dance show!

kk~
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Fri Sep 02, 2011 02:32 PM
I don't care that he is a transgendered person as long as he doesn't use it as any type of "advantage" on the show. ( I hope I win, because I can represent the transgendered community etc)

Treat this man as any other person on the show. I don't understand why everyone is making such a big deal out of it and what is with all the hate. He shouldn't be given an advantage or a disadvantage in either case.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Fri Sep 02, 2011 02:42 PM

This is Nadia Almada. She won British Big Brother in 2004. Nadia was born Jorge Leodoro.

I don't understand why this is a problem in 2011 when it wasn't a problem in 2004. Her housemates didn't know she was born a man but the viewers did and they're the ones that vote. Unbelievable.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Fri Sep 02, 2011 05:36 PM
That said, I think he could have chosen a better show. I'm not a fan of DWTS, it's 'dancing with the has-beens'. How about they call it Dancing With The Pros and focus on the real dancers?

But just like Bristol Palin before him, Chaz isn't actually famous for *doing* anything. They've both done some amount of stuff in the public eye, but by and large, they've gotten the opportunities they've gotten because they're the children of famous people. Fact of the matter is, were Chaz's parents NOT famous, he wouldn't be given the opportunity to be on DWTS, and he could transition in peace, and no one would think any the wiser.

And I imagine, much like with Bristol Palin, they're going to credit him as a "Transgender Activist", and that'll be pretty much that.
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Fri Sep 02, 2011 06:11 PM
^ Quoted for fact. People don't have to do much to be labeled 'celebrities' these days. Examples besides Chaz and Palin - Paris Hilton, Kate Gosselin, Snookie and other reality quasi-"stars".

Chaz would be much better labled an activist than a star.

kk~
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 14381, member since Mon Aug 11, 2003
On Fri Sep 02, 2011 06:28 PM
It just seems pathetic to me that people would get so up in arms about a freaking TV show. WHO CARES? Geez, get lives, you hateful jerks. I was reading some comments on an article about this show earlier today and it was really disgusting to see these comments, knowing that people really think that way.
On Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:01 PM
I don't care that he is a transgendered person as long as he doesn't use it as any type of "advantage" on the show. ( I hope I win, because I can represent the transgendered community etc)

They all have an agenda for being on the show. Most of them it is to revive their careers, some do it for the money, so who cares if Chaz is doing it partially to represent the transgendered community? How is that going to give him an advantage? Do you know how many people are NOT going to vote for him because of it?
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Sat Sep 03, 2011 02:17 AM
I don't care about Chaz (his doco was BOOOOring), and I can't stand DWTS. But Nadia needs to put those things away. Y'know how little girls stuff grapefruits and softballs down their vests to simulate boobage? Yeah, well it's not a good look for an adult woman - trans or no trans. Her skin is stretched so tight, you could bounce a quarter off those plastic domes.

But in all seriousness, I do not think that just because she won big brother that means people don't have a problem with transies. Anyway, we all know the US is WAY more conservative (read "bigoted") than the UK. I attribute this mostly to the fact that everyone in the UK is usually too drunk to notice whether or not someone is a transie.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Sat Sep 03, 2011 06:05 PM
Edited by jazz_lover (99333) on 2011-09-03 18:08:03
Renae, I just mean that I hope it doesn't turn into a Sob story that is brought up on every single episode and taken advantage of.

On " So You Think You Can Dance", they always bring up sad stories, hardships etc and make the whole persons character revolve around that.

I want to see Chaz Bono, the great dancer who kills it on the floor. Not the Chaz Bono who ABC shares his "sob story" each week for more views or votes. I think it is good that they are representing someone different from the normal mold, but I don't want that to be his ONLY identity.

I would feel the same way about a person who used any type of story over and over.
I really got tired of Emily using the "dead fiance" story each single episode on The Bachelor last year. I wanted to see more of her character, and less of her story. Once we started to see a lot of HER, then it became apparent why Brad chose her.

Does this make sense?
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6075, member since Tue Dec 20, 2005
On Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:38 PM
jazz_lover wrote:

I think it is good that they are representing someone different from the normal mold, but I don't want that to be his ONLY identity.

While it would be lovely if the mainstream media would catch on to this fact (that being something doesn't mean that's the person's ONLY identity), it usually doesn't, and I would be very surprised if this case is any different. Of course they'll use Chaz's being trans as an advertising tool, of course they'll treat it as the only part of his identity, because that's what typically happens, at least in American mainstream media, when a non-normative person steps in the spotlight.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Sun Sep 04, 2011 07:39 PM
Uh, does anyone know anything else about him? Because I don't.
On Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:35 PM
Renae, I just mean that I hope it doesn't turn into a Sob story that is brought up on every single episode and taken advantage of.

On " So You Think You Can Dance", they always bring up sad stories, hardships etc and make the whole persons character revolve around that.

He doesn't have ANY control over that. How they cut up all reality television depends on how the producers want to spin stories, and develop the characters.

It's going to be used. I still don't see it as something that is going to be an advantage like you say it is.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6815, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:42 PM
Edited by topphilly (207347) on 2011-09-04 22:44:06 once is enough
Image hotlink - 'http://www.chazbono.net/images/bookcover-project.jpg'
This is his latest book. This is the third book, I believe.

www.chazbono.net His website. Nothing surprising or for that matter, even interesting.

en.wikipedia.org . . . It's only wiki, but some interesting stuff, if you're interested, which I'm really not.

I do look forward to seeing if he had his mom's show biz abilities. DWTS should be called,"MY Agent set up this gig" and although I often do enjoy some of the dancers the voting is ridiculous. The Bristol Palin thing proved that. So, we know that right wing supporters of her mother were able to dial a telephone. That didn't make her a dancer. Her "rise" to the finals made me loose all interest in the show. I'm not even sure I'll watch Chaz. And it has nothing to do with Chaz or any politics. I'm just tired of watching stiff, uninspiring dancers. I get enough of this at work,

Keep On Dancing*

On Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:47 PM
I have never (in 13 seasons) watched more than 2 episodes of DWTS, but I am kind of jazzed about the dancers this year. I love David Arquette, think Chaz looks great in the promo shots, and I'm excited to see several others. They did a much better job getting celebrities this year!
On Tue Sep 06, 2011 01:03 PM
You mean "celebrities". And when you say it, you have to add the little finger bunnies.
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch