Forum: Competitions

Adjudicating across the border
By ndn_dance
On Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:20 PM

I have a question that Im hoping I can get some help/advice on......
I have been offered an adjudicating position for a competition that performs both in Canada and the United States.
I am Canadian. Do I need to obtain a work visa to adjudicate in the states? Is this my resposibility or the competition directors? Is there tax issues?
Anything you can tell me about adjudicating in a country other than where you are living would be very helpful!!
Thanks

3 Replies to Adjudicating across the border

re: Adjudicating across the border
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Fri Sep 02, 2011 09:50 AM
When I judged in Canada, I was paid in cash and just went as a visitor. If you are being paid as a contractor, or employee, I am sure that you need something. I would ask the competition how they have handled it, before.
re: Adjudicating across the border
By ndn_dance
On Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:36 PM
I asked and she isn't sure as it's the first time going to the US for her but ... they are a Canadian company;
She says she is paying judges as an expense and that she has to file a US tax return as the competition.
So as she is a Canadian company Im assuming Im ok....does anyone know who I should as to make sure?
re: Adjudicating across the border (karma: 1)
By SAPdance
On Mon Sep 05, 2011 01:09 PM
I have adjudicated over the border many times and I am Canadian (I sound like a TV beer commercial LOL). I never had any problems for tax purposes because I was paid directly in Canadian funds, not cash, but not via a company check. What I can tell you though is you should not cross the border and say you are going to work without a work visa. This goes for dancing or any other type of work. My husband travels too ++ for non dance related work and he says he is going for meetings. Colleagues of his have been turned back, my father has also been turned back, when he said he was going for work and they both work for US companies. The border guards don't have to let you in...they are getting very strict about that if you say you are going to judge a dance competition without a work visa. Just say you are going to take dance classes, have meetings with other dance teachers etc..but not to work and get paid for it.

ReplySendWatch