Priority Teaching Jobs

Tight Taps screws for tap shoes

Forum: Tap / Tap

Tap
Double sole tap shoes? en>fr fr>en
By Dancer395 Comments: 48, member since Sun May 29, 2011
On Sat Sep 03, 2011 03:46 PM

For my class's warm-up, we have several fast toe stands (Step up left-right, left-right on the balls of the feet, left heel right heel twice and then repeat with a stomp instead of the heels. Repeat right then left then right) I can do these well enough at half time, but I can never do then quickly. My teacher said that she thought it was my shoes bending (right at the toe, not the arch) and I should look into going to a shoe-maker to get a double-sole. My shoes are full sole and I can't get different shoes because all the people in my group need the same shoes for competition.
So my questions are: Are double soles worth it? How much would getting an extra sole added to my tap shoes cost? How long would it take for a shoe-maker to do this? Where could I find a person to do this?

5 Replies to Double sole tap shoes?

re: Double sole tap shoes? en>fr fr>en
By Tappercise Comments: 285, member since Sun Jul 08, 2007
On Sun Sep 04, 2011 07:29 AM
Edited by Tappercise (182290) on 2011-09-04 07:38:41 type
The 'Sticky" above your question that is titled "Full vs. Split Sole Tap Shoes--Why Full Soles Are Always Better" may give you some useful information about shoes and toe stands.
On Mon Sep 05, 2011 09:36 AM
I have read that sticky, but I already have full sole shoes and I can't get different shoes (for competition, everyone in my class has to look the same). Plus, my teacher disapproves of split sole shoes.
By Tappercise Comments: 285, member since Sun Jul 08, 2007
On Mon Sep 05, 2011 02:06 PM
Edited by Tappercise (182290) on 2011-09-05 14:13:25 type
Even though the only tap shoes I have used for the past several years are double-soled shoes with a steel shank (Miller and Ben JTMs), I am not convinced that changing to a double-soled shoe will correct your problem. If your tap shoes are bending at the toe, is it possible that your shoes are too long? When you are standing on a flat foot, the toe of your tap shoe should not extend more than a fraction of an inch past your longest toe. I have also found that itÂ’s more difficult to get a solid toe stand when you wear shoes with a pointed toe instead of a rounded toe.

If you think the problem relates to your shoes, try to borrow a pair of double-soled tap shoes that seem to fit and see if that improves your toe stands. It could be that your technique is more of a problem than your shoes.

Toe stands are important, and you need to master double-toe stands before you move on to more advanced steps. I do not recommend doing steps such as pullbacks or wings into toe stands until you can hold a double-toe stand for at least four beat. I have found that jumping into a double-toe stand and then jumping while maintaining the double-toe stand has done a lot to strengthen my ankles and make it easier to do more advanced steps that use toe stands.

www.youtube.com . . .
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Fri Sep 09, 2011 02:03 AM
I used to go to a bootmaker to have my tap shoes "half soled and rubbered". Basically, the bootmaker would add an extra sole to the ball and heel of the shoe, where the taps would go, then put the taps back on, and attach rubber behind the toe tap. This all extends the life of the shoe and in my opinion, produces a better sound. I can't tell you how much it cost because I haven't had shoes done like that in about 10 years so costs will have changed, but it would take the bootmaker a day or two to get my order done.

Helen
On Mon Sep 12, 2011 04:01 PM
My tap shoes could be too long... I'll look into seeing if I can try on a pair of double sole shoes. It's nice to know it won't take forever to get a sole added if I decide on that.

ReplySendWatch