Forum: Competitions

Where can I get good competitive make up kids for performers?
By CSSRocks
On Mon Sep 05, 2011 03:45 PM

In the past I have gone to a dozen different places to try to get the best bang for my buck but also the correct color pallots for the costumes

Does anyone know of a website, company etc. that does this collectively, MUST HAVE SPARKLES LOL -

I'm looking for a company that sells make up kits for competition teams. Thanks for your help in advance!

13 Replies to Where can I get good competitive make up kids for performers?

re: Where can I get good competitive make up kids for performers?
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Mon Sep 05, 2011 03:45 PM
Check out Jam cosmetics.
By NJDance
On Mon Sep 05, 2011 04:53 PM
We use JAM cosmetics and love it.
By danceteacher716
On Mon Sep 05, 2011 06:02 PM
we use JAM as well. Love Jessica..she's great
By danceland2
On Mon Sep 05, 2011 06:16 PM
We also use Jam
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 06, 2011 02:08 AM
I've never understood the purpose of "dance" makeup. Everyone I know just sets up a seminar with one of the local department stores. All the kids go in on a Saturday; the make-up staff gives a demo, answers questions, and makes sure everyone has exactly what they need. It's a fun little field trip for the girls, and all the make-up is taken care of in like 2 hours. Plus, the stores always give the kids goody bags and free brushes and lots of samples. They love it.

But I'm curious about the kits. Like how do you deal with the different skin colors and skin types? Do they buy their own foundation and powder or what? OMG, I just looked at the foundation on the JAM web site. The 3 choices are like Light, Bisque, and Caucasian. lol. The last place I taught was only 2% white (not making that up - it's an actual statistic) so I don't think that would work down here.
By CarabosseKPremium member
On Tue Sep 06, 2011 06:55 AM
panic wrote:

I've never understood the purpose of "dance" makeup. Everyone I know just sets up a seminar with one of the local department stores. All the kids go in on a Saturday; the make-up staff gives a demo, answers questions, and makes sure everyone has exactly what they need. It's a fun little field trip for the girls, and all the make-up is taken care of in like 2 hours. Plus, the stores always give the kids goody bags and free brushes and lots of samples. They love it.

But I'm curious about the kits. Like how do you deal with the different skin colors and skin types? Do they buy their own foundation and powder or what? OMG, I just looked at the foundation on the JAM web site. The 3 choices are like Light, Bisque, and Caucasian. lol. The last place I taught was only 2% white (not making that up - it's an actual statistic) so I don't think that would work down here.

I agree. If I have a mom that's a Mary Kay (or other cosmetic) consultant, I let them do an in-house workshop. If I don't, I go to the store and find affordable options that suit a majority of the skin tones for my students and then consult individually with students that may need different options. Obviously, my studio is primarily white. I don't see the need for a "kit". Even kids with the same skin tone will have different hair and eye color that will affect what makeup looks best. I usually tell the moms that the makeup they use on a regular basis will generally work, when applied heavier, as long as their daughter has similar coloring.
By Tutu520
On Tue Sep 06, 2011 07:43 PM
if you're looking for glitter BAstar.com is great! they will send you free samples in the colors of your choice and their prices are reasonable!
By caughtmydream
On Sat Sep 10, 2011 07:29 PM
makeup forever is a great company, We get it out of sephora(if there is one around) makeup forever is used by cirque. good luck
By CSSRocks
On Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:50 AM
Thanks for all the tips - AWESOME!

To answer the question about Why the "Kit" the best way I can answer this in regards to my studio is, we need the Kits for our Competitive dance teams. Most teams do their make up uniformly and are judged on their costume which includes make up. Last year we did a number called Cirucs with dead clowns. all the girls had to wear heavy pale white make up and black make up (all nationalities) to create a zombie effect. my other team did a Bollywood performance and they they all wore gold sparkly make up type stuff including gold mascara.

Naturally the girls all have different skin tones so i wouldn't dream of tryng to get the basics. the Kit is more (at my studio) as a compliment to their own make up where they can buy anywhere.
By hummingbird
On Sun Sep 18, 2011 03:47 PM
I go to my local shops and make up a kit from what they have or can get in stock, the staff will advise them on a base and the rest is fairly straight forward, I give them numbers or names for the rest of it. The shop just keeps a record of what I want them to have.

One of the perks of teaching in a small town :)
By shimmybridget
On Sun Oct 02, 2011 08:26 AM
BA Star is great! Lots of sparkle too, some parents thought the lipstick was too red, but it looks great on stage.
By imadanseurPremium member
On Sun Oct 02, 2011 08:32 AM
Our studio they can wear whatever foundation/powder, mascara. We have them all use the same MAC makeup for eye shadow, blush, and lipstick. Not cheap, but not overly expensive and it lasts forever and holds up all day even through sweat.
By dancer56783
On Wed Oct 12, 2011 08:39 AM
We have the students wear their own cover make up and they have eye shadow kits with a ton of different colors from the website elf.com it's very reasonable prices and it seems to be working very well so far

ReplySendWatch