Forum: Competitions

Production dance. Need Ideas!
By emickola03
On Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:14 AM

Hello. Every year the studio I teach at does a huge production number. In the past we did a bollywood feeling number, Steamheat, and a Dancing Through the Decade theme. We're having trouble figuring out a theme for this year. Any suggestions? We're celebrating our 10 year anniversery this year.

3 Replies to Production dance. Need Ideas!

re: Production dance. Need Ideas!
By SAPdance
On Wed Sep 21, 2011 08:20 AM
I do a production every 2nd year.... because it takes sooooo long to choreographe and coordinate. In the past I have done "Mary Poppins" where we opened in the kids bedrooms with Mary bringing the toys to life, and then moving on the park scene with butterflies and Burt and then entered taping penguins and then we finished with my seniors as Chimney Sweeps.

Another Year we did "be our guest" from Beauty and the Beast. The song has a tango section etc.. we had lots of fun with that. I had dancers dressed as Tea pots and tea cups, the main character and spoons and forks etc.....all sorts of fun stuff

2 years ago we did a Xmas Theme called "Cheer all Year". I blended approx. 3-4 Xmas songs. We started with 6 dancers on stage in Xmas tree costumes with 3 of my little ones dressed for an XMas party decorating them, then enter Gingerbread cookies that one of the kids eats the arm off, then I had 4 dancers in large Frosty costumes, then a celtic section with Irish and Highland dancing, then enter Santa's sleigh being pulled by Reindeer and his elves, then we finished with the my Seniors droping their Xmas tree and Frosty costumes to reveal cute little Rocket style Santa baby costumes and we finished with a Rocket style routine.

I hate transporting props so my dancers are always in very elaborate costumes that they change from during the dance...they start in one costume and finish in another. My costumes become our props.

I have seen so many other great ones in competition ...a burglar and robber one, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Wizard of Oz. I normally have 30-35 dancers in each production of all ages (7-27 yrs old). This year my team is up to 45 so I decided to split Junior with Senior so I`ll have two. Our older dancers are doing a Zombie wedding theme and I am still working on the idea for my 12 and unders. I want to do something with Ballroom blitz if I can but I am trying to figure out what type of story line I can go with .

Can you tell I LOVE productions LOL LOL Good luck with yours!
By becki247
On Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:04 AM
What about finding 1 or 2 songs from each of your other years that will fit together well? It could be a nice tribute to your 10 year anniversary.
Perhaps you could find a common theme, or word, or something that will tie all the songs together.
By annovad
On Thu Sep 22, 2011 06:52 AM
How about Everything Old Is New Again? You could do encore dances from years past. We did this one year and invited former dancers back and they performed a special dance.It was a big hit!

ReplySendWatch