Forum: Advice / Girls Only PG-13

Is the gym "Curves" only for a specific body type or specific goals?
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member
On Wed Sep 14, 2011 09:32 PM
Edited by jazz_lover (99333) on 2011-09-14 21:42:40
Locked by jazz_lover (99333) on 2011-09-14 23:00:49 Going to go check out my University gym. I can't believe that I didn't even think of that! Stupid me.

My 1 year contract to 24 Hour Fitness is going to expire quite soon. I moved into a new city this past summer and I have been hunting for gyms close to my new apartment. There is a "Curves" and "Weight Watchers" about a 5 minute walk from my house. I am not interested in joining Weight Watchers because I am not trying to lose weight but I AM interested in joining Curves because it would save me a lot of time+gas on my daily commute to the gym.

From what I know, Curves is a woman only gym but I am not sure if it is only for women trying to lose weight? I don't want to step on anyones toes if everyone IS trying to lose weight there. ( because I am trying to do the opposite, I am trying to gain weight in muscle) .

Curves is a lot cheaper then the membership I was paying to my old gym. I currently am paying about $70 a month for my club membership. I heard Curves is doing a special for $29 a month for new members.

I don't have much experience with Curves but I am wondering if it is just a training facility for women or if it is type of a support group for fitness?

I really like the idea of a woman's only gym. I currently feel like I am being judged when I workout by the men in the facilities. I feel like the are looking at my lack of makeup, that I can't lift as much as they can etc.

8 Replies to Is the gym "Curves" only for a specific body type or specific goals?

re: Is the gym "Curves" only for a specific body type or specific goals?
By imadanseurPremium member
On Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:22 PM
no no no no no...this is NOT where you want to be. It is perfect for people that are very overweight, people that are older that need a gentler workout for their bodies, or people that don't know how to work out. This is not the place for someone like you that has a goal to build muscle or that will need to use free weights. All their machines are resistance based.

As for you being judged...that is all internal crap in your head making up a ton of stories about what people are saying or thinking. Why do you even care? Will you be seeing these people again? Be focused on you and why you are there.
re: Is the gym "Curves" only for a specific body type or specific goals? (karma: 1)
By slice
On Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:25 PM
Not a specific body type per se, though as a brand it does tend to attract women of a certain demographic.

If you want to gain muscle look more into how well equipped it is. To be fair I've only seen the local Curves here, but from what it looked like the place was small with machines only. If there were dumbbells available I didn't see them, and they were probably light. Neither of which is good news to someone trying to gain lean muscle mass.

Do you have a Planet Fitness nearby? Their memberships are ridiculously cheap ($10-20 bucks a month) and they come with all the gym basics (cardio machines, dumbbells, barbells, weight machines).
On Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:34 PM
Edited by jazz_lover (99333) on 2011-09-14 22:36:38
There is actually a Fitness USA near me, but on yelp they have 1.5 Stars :( Does anyone have experience with this chain?

I guess this is going to sound strange, but I want to be in a* meathead needles in ceiling, really cheap gym* or *serious fitness without the extra's* gym. Right now, the gym I am at is 50% workout/50% socializing, they even have a smoothy bar! I think this is what is driving up the costs to $70. I only go in to workout, so I don't need a gym with smoothy bars, sauna etc.

re: Is the gym "Curves" only for a specific body type or specific goals? (karma: 1)
By imadanseurPremium member
On Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:43 PM
So why are you asking about Curves if you want to be at a gym that is a "meathead" gym. You know you want a cheap gym...it's much much cheaper to buy free weights for a gym rather than have a ton of equipment based machines and the maintenance for them is usually ridiculous. I am sure there are plenty of cheap facilities near you. Instead of looking on Yelp...go in and check the place out. Get the vibe for yourself instead of relying on people you don't even know to figure out what you want.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:44 PM
I love Planet Fitness and miss that there isn't one in DC. They had great weight machines and there was always plenty of cardio equipment.

As for Curves, from what I know it's circuit training and you have to go around the circuit to the next machine or activity when the time is up. You can't just stay on the elliptical for an hour if you want to. Things may have changed or different franchises might be different.

Why don't you use your school's gym? It should be free for you if your a full time student. I know some of them aren't the best but you really can't beat free.
On Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:46 PM
^ I didn't even think about my schools gym! What a great idea, I will check what the hours and the cost are.
By slice
On Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:48 PM
Moonlitefairy06 wrote:

Why don't you use your school's gym? It should be free for you if your a full time student. I know some of them aren't the best but you really can't beat free.

And to add, if you're a full-time student you may be paying for it already as part of your tuition. As a student I pay around $300 a semester for Campus Recreation services, so it's worth it to make full use of the facilities (which are actually pretty stellar).

And if you're looking for a "meathead" or more serious gym you'll have to move away from the chains.
On Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:50 PM
Edited by jazz_lover (99333) on 2011-09-14 22:52:35
Edited by jazz_lover (99333) on 2011-09-14 22:58:43
Well Renae, I want a meathead gym that is CHEAP ( I can put up with the guys if it is only like $10 a month. I've had a couple men come up to me, saying I was lifting too light, and I should just go to a Sissy gym and leave the weight training up to them. I didn't want to be paying $70 to be bothered by guys. If it was only $10 I wouldn't have cared so much)

I was asking about Curves because it is literally RIGHT by my house. I can see it out of my window if my window was facing the right way, plus $30 is a huge improvement from $70. Plus, it would have been fun to get to know women who were trying to accomplish the same fitness goals as me. I have a male workout buddy, but the heavy lifting that he does( 200+ lbs) is a bit different then what I want to do.

I think the best bet at this point is checking out my University. You can't beat free ;)

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed