Forum: Arts / Fiction

Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3
re: Nanowrimo 2011!
By boleyngrrl Comments: 2550, member since Sat Apr 15, 2006
On Mon Oct 31, 2011 05:29 PM
Less than 5 hours!!!!!! :D
By QueensJennmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1278, member since Mon Dec 05, 2005
On Mon Oct 31, 2011 08:01 PM
2 hours on the dot here!
By Lauretta Comments: 1048, member since Wed Dec 01, 2004
On Tue Nov 01, 2011 01:45 AM
Edited by Lauretta (114873) on 2011-11-01 01:54:13
And it starts! I've written the grand total of 244 words in 44 minutes, and I've got to go to work soon. I couldn't have decided to do this challenge while I was still a student, could I?

I also missed the kick off party for my local group, so even though it seems pretty active, they won't know who I am if I turn up now. Meeting some new people was part of the attraction of this whole thing :(

Edit: I've just signed up on the Nano site, username PurpleRainbow. I have no idea how to add people but if people want to add me then feel free. I have one friend who does Nano and she's got pretty patchy internet access so I need some encouragement from somewhere :)
By gnrdancer Comments: 116, member since Thu Sep 08, 2011
On Tue Nov 01, 2011 03:04 AM
By QueensJennmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1278, member since Mon Dec 05, 2005
On Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:47 PM
Aww, noo don't say that! There's lots of people in my region that don't make it to the Kickoff, but come to the write-ins or other events! No one will think you're weird or like you don't belong!
By CompactDiscomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1076, member since Fri Aug 29, 2008
On Tue Nov 01, 2011 01:13 PM
*brag warning* in the first hour I got 2.5K words! Woot! I haven't gone to an event yet but it'll happen sometime this month.
On Tue Nov 01, 2011 02:02 PM
QueensJenn wrote:

Aww, noo don't say that! There's lots of people in my region that don't make it to the Kickoff, but come to the write-ins or other events! No one will think you're weird or like you don't belong!

I would hope they'd be welcoming, the only problem is that I'm pretty reserved and me going up to a bunch of people on my own who already know each other is entirely unprecedented. It would have been slightly different had it been the first meeting of the group.

Somehow I've managed 5,000 words. Do not know how. I guess this is what happens when i'm really into a plot.
By Rinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2059, member since Wed Apr 21, 2004
On Tue Nov 01, 2011 07:28 PM
I'm starting right now! Last month I drew some pictures of what I thought my world would look like, and what my characters would look like.

this is my first ever attempt! I'm excited
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7921, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Wed Nov 02, 2011 01:05 PM
I'm up to a little over 4000 words today. Whew! Great, cause I don't think I'll be able to write Saturday or Sunday. Let's see if I can pull that off!
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Wed Nov 02, 2011 01:45 PM
CONGRATS EVERYONE! Y'all seem to be going and going with this writing business!

I have a big project to finish, so I KNOW I don't have time to try to write a novel, but I might keep track of my novemeber "thesis word count"...it would help if I shot for 1,000 per day and I'd still be in the "wrimo" part of "nanowrimo".

Can't wait to hear more about how you guys progress!
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11250, member since Tue Feb 26, 2002
On Wed Nov 02, 2011 08:45 PM
Oh gosh. I started writing properly last night, and my first scene is SO tense. I can feel my heart thumping in my chest!

Erin.
::righteous babe::
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7921, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:49 PM
7564 words so far. I know I'm not going to be able to write this weekend, so here's to hoping I can bang out 4000 tomorrow! :O
On Thu Nov 03, 2011 03:39 PM
I just hit 8,500 words. Already wanting to skip ahead to the end and save my characters all the bad stuff that I know is going to happen.

Also, major bummer - I'm not going to be able to make any of the weekly meetings because they're all on Saturdays and my football team (to which I have a season ticket) are at home three Saturdays this month and I've already agreed to go to the one away game. There goes my plan to meet some new people :(
By Rinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2059, member since Wed Apr 21, 2004
On Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:11 PM
5,189 words.
I'm on track, and it being my first try, I'm pretty proud!
On Fri Nov 04, 2011 09:55 AM
Got out less than 3000 today so far. Today is going to be BUSY and I'm not going to be able to write again until Monday unless my husband has mercy on me and keeps our son occupied for 2 or 3 hours!

So grand total (for now) a little over 10,000
On Mon Nov 07, 2011 02:45 PM
How is everyone doing? I've just broken 15,000 but I'm doing a bad thing and writing out of sequence because there's so much depressing stuff in my novel that I need to write some of the happy bits once in a while to ward off the urge to go and cry in a corner. Incidentally, my best friend is also writing a really depressing novel, we definitely get it from each other.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Mon Nov 07, 2011 03:05 PM
Today, I wrote 1,000 words (by hand on legal paper) while on my plane ride. I'm pretty happy about it. :)

Congratulations on everyone's achievements! Seems like things are going swimmingly!
On Mon Nov 07, 2011 03:35 PM
Lauretta wrote:

How is everyone doing? I've just broken 15,000 but I'm doing a bad thing and writing out of sequence because there's so much depressing stuff in my novel that I need to write some of the happy bits once in a while to ward off the urge to go and cry in a corner. Incidentally, my best friend is also writing a really depressing novel, we definitely get it from each other.

That's not a bad thing! It's actually a really good way to write. Keep up your momentum by writing the things you want to, rather than getting slogged down in stuff you don't like or find boring or upsetting. That's a good way to become disillusioned with your story, and not want to work on it.

I'm doing pretty good. I'm at 22 874, so not quite a quarter of the way through. I'll break 25 000 tonight, though, I imagine. I posted some excerpts in my journal, so you can all laugh at my horrible attempt at a 'sexy' scene XD :P
On Tue Nov 08, 2011 02:36 PM
My counter is saying like just over 17,000, but I'm starting to wonder if I counted wrong and will be recounting tonight to make *sure*.
On Tue Nov 08, 2011 02:47 PM
QueensJenn wrote:

That's not a bad thing! It's actually a really good way to write. Keep up your momentum by writing the things you want to, rather than getting slogged down in stuff you don't like or find boring or upsetting. That's a good way to become disillusioned with your story, and not want to work on it.

I'm doing pretty good. I'm at 22 874, so not quite a quarter of the way through. I'll break 25 000 tonight, though, I imagine. I posted some excerpts in my journal, so you can all laugh at my horrible attempt at a 'sexy' scene XD :P

For some reason I thought it was against nano rules, I thought that you had to write it from start to finish without going back or going out of order. I was prepared to be a rule breaker, but now I can rest easy knowing that i'm not!

And we have the opposite problems when it comes to sex scenes. Mine are too good in that I seem to be unable to write anything that isn't highly realistic and so as a result I can't post my nano on DDN because all the stuff I'll have to cut out will make it make no sense. I wish I could settle for something all fluffy and non-involved but I like my accuracy way too much (although this is in all areas of my writing, not just the sex scenes)
On Tue Nov 08, 2011 07:57 PM
LOL! You want to teach me how to do it, then? I really want to write one for the end of the current segment I'm on, but I know I won't be able to.
On Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:28 AM
Whoo two posts in a row.

Anyway, I got to do my favourite part of the job today - send out a pep talk! I'll post it here too if anyone needs some cheesy motivation XD

Spoiler: Show

Ah, the Week 2 Blues.

The excitement of the beginning has faded. The end is still so far away. You're slogging away through the 20 000's, feeling like you'll never be finished.

You're not alone.

Week 2 is well known to be the hardest part of Nanowrimo. It's too late to start over, but you're still so far from the end. The road seems unending. You wonder why you ever started this. You swear you'll never do it again. All the things you neglected in the first week of Nano begin to pile up.

Don't give up.

As difficult as it may seem, don't give up. If you have to, write just one word a day. Just one word, until you gain back your momentum. Before you know it, you'll be in the 30 000s. Then it's the 40 000's, and you're on the way home!

Of course, if you have to, or choose to, lay your project aside, don't feel badly. You gave it your all, you did your best, and that's all anyone can ask of you. You are winners in your own right! (Sounds cheesy, but its true!). Nano is supposed to be fun. If you're not having fun, it's better to stop now and try again when it feels right to you. It's better than forcing yourself through if you truly can't stomach another day of it. That's a good way to burn out, and never want to attempt it again.

So to wrap this up in a nutshell: Keep going. Do your best. And before you know it, it will be Week 3. (Hard to believe!)
On Wed Nov 09, 2011 09:33 AM
Had a hilarious Nano nightmare. Someone turns to me in my dream and goes, 'Oh, no, Nano is not until next month. You're going to have to take everything you wrote and junk it and start all over again next month. Sorry!' In the dream I had the, "noooo !" reaction, lol!

Hurt myself this morning to get the words in early. My son has early release and there will be no writing when he gets home. Current word count, over 21,000. This thing is putting a HURTING on me!
On Wed Nov 09, 2011 03:57 PM
QueensJenn wrote:

LOL! You want to teach me how to do it, then? I really want to write one for the end of the current segment I'm on, but I know I won't be able to.

I think the key is to read fiction that contains the kind of scenes (as in the right level of description) that you want to write, that's how I learnt. Obviously you don't want to plagiarise someone elses work, but I found that once I was comfortable reading something, writing something similar wasn't that far behind. But then I have been writing this kind of material for well over 6 years now, so I've had the time to get used to it.

I hit 20,000 words tonight! :D
On Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:54 AM
Just below 25,000 now. Just couldn't write anymore today. It sucks, too, because I think I'm not going to be able to write again until freaking MONDAY. Ughhhh...
Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch