Popular Teachers

Snaplock Floor durability? by lmrath
We are having some issues with our dance floor and are in need of a change. My landlord has looked...

Forum: Irish / Irish

Irish
How to prevent slipping on stage in hard shoes? en>fr fr>en
By perfectpeony Comments: 16, member since Fri Mar 04, 2011
On Sun Sep 18, 2011 03:05 PM

Care to share your tried and true method to prevent slipping on stage? We've used electrical tape and it's OK. Used black duct tape and it was still slippery and it deadens the sound. Today my daughter wiped out on stage during her heavy round. Thankfully she got up, recovered well, and still went on to place. But this is the second time in two competitions. Last time it was just a slip, but it definitely makes her more timid on stage. And since confidence is an issue to begin with, I'd love to find some magic method to at least eliminate this one big factor.

Thanks!

17 Replies to How to prevent slipping on stage in hard shoes?

re: How to prevent slipping on stage in hard shoes? en>fr fr>en
By byudawn Comments: 334, member since Wed Jun 30, 2010
On Sun Sep 18, 2011 03:25 PM
Edited by byudawn (224140) on 2011-09-18 15:29:36
I hear you! I"m glad your daughter was ok and got to finish :)
I've heard gaffer tape is really good----I have to buy some to try it out for DD. Another "irish" mom says to put it on the very edge of the ball of the shoes and then the rest over the middle part for optimal slippage prevention! I'm sure others have tried and true ways as well, as I haven't really tried this yet!

I also have to say we were at Boise yesterday and they would NOT let the little prelim champs practice on the stage beforehand, which I thought was not cool-----is it the "norm" to let them practice for a few minutes on it beforehand??? At numerous other feis she was able to, and I think that's only fair so that these dancers can test the "slipperiness" of the stage and know! I mean, what is the thinking behind NOT letting them practice for a few minutes---as it will only hurt them (and possibly literally) if they can't try it out! Even at Nationals they were able to try the stage out for 10 minutes before starting. That way they won't "waste" their time testing it AS they dance for the judge and ultimately will score better. (Sorry, my vent for the day)
By treblemaker999 Comments: 267, member since Wed Jun 29, 2011
On Sun Sep 18, 2011 03:32 PM
I had that same problem and it also affected my confidence, if I slipped or even felt like I was about to, my face would get really pale and I would very obviously drop my smile.

If electrical tape didn't work, you could try putting her shoes in water (only a little on the bottom) or wiping them with a baby wipe right before she goes on. If not, you could always try duck tape. I slipped in a show rehearsal (and so did many other people), and duck tape stopped us from slipping next time. Also, people say just doing something little will make you feel like you won't slip, so even if it's just putting some water at the bottom of her shoes and saying "this will fix it", it will make her more comfortable and help with confidence. Congrats for placing! :)
By onegirlbandmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 828, member since Sun Mar 26, 2006
On Sun Sep 18, 2011 03:45 PM
I love my gaffer's tape! You can buy it from Rutherford's.

I put as little tape on as I think is necessary. I can usually try the floor out before I dance. If it's not too slippery I put a strip from the block pointe to the sole of the shoe. The gaffer's tape is pretty wide, so I measure out a strip that is long enough and then split it length wise in two. That way I can put one strip on each shoe.

If the stage is more slippery I will put another piece across the width of the widest part of the tip, which is usually right at the bottom of the fiberglass before the sole of the shoe.

I, so far, haven't had any major falls from slipping.
By irishfeislovemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1060, member since Tue Nov 16, 2010
On Sun Sep 18, 2011 03:47 PM
the idea of slipping freks me out too. I put a bit of duct tape on the end of my front tip where it connects with the sole ( just the tiniest bit so it doesnt kill the sound ). Im not sure if it makes sense without a photo... I havent had any slippage problems lately but then again that could be due to the stage.
By irish_dancer6Premium member Comments: 87, member since Fri Jan 28, 2011
On Sun Sep 18, 2011 03:58 PM
I know everyone keeps saying duct tape, and I have to agree with them. I put one piece straight down the centre of the tip of the shoe including the top (for toe walks) then I scratch the entire piece of tape using a key. I have never slipped on stage using this. Occasionally I will also put a small piece on the bottom (ball of the foot area) and scratch it. As long as out only have one or two pieces of tape on it, I have not found that it effects the sound at all.
By Stepdancer Comments: 1777, member since Sun Oct 22, 2006
On Sun Sep 18, 2011 05:20 PM
I had rubber skid pads applied to the soles of my hard shoes (on the ball of the foot area, not the tips). They have worked better than anything else I've tried, including tape, resin, water, and Coca Cola. (Yes, you read that right; dancers here used to apply Coke to both their soft shoes and hard shoes to make them sticky.) Skid pads are always there, don't pick up dust and dirt, and aren't on the tips so they don't affect the sound. I had them applied at a local shoe shop, and every so often I have them replaced. I also recommend them to all my students.
By RAID_Babemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5215, member since Thu Feb 18, 2010
On Sun Sep 18, 2011 05:35 PM
I bought rosin from a dance store ($30) and it comes as a powder with some rocks. So the night before a Feis, I'll put some on my dance floor (I'd suggest putting it on cardboard so your floors do not become sticky) and then stand in it and cover the tips and heels of my heavies and on the ball of my foot in my soft shoes. It works really well, a little expensive but it lasts and works well!
By celticprincessmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1075, member since Thu Aug 26, 2010
On Sun Sep 18, 2011 05:45 PM
Gorilla Tape. It's just really strong black duct tape. It's a lot less slippery, and easier to find then gaffers tape. It lasts a long time too.
By byudawn Comments: 334, member since Wed Jun 30, 2010
On Sun Sep 18, 2011 05:50 PM
Edited by byudawn (224140) on 2011-09-18 17:50:51
RAID_Babe wrote:

I bought rosin from a dance store ($30) and it comes as a powder with some rocks. So the night before a Feis, I'll put some on my dance floor (I'd suggest putting it on cardboard so your floors do not become sticky) and then stand in it and cover the tips and heels of my heavies and on the ball of my foot in my soft shoes. It works really well, a little expensive but it lasts and works well!

Would the rosin for a string instrument work the same I think? It'd be a lot cheaper and you'd find it at any music store that rents/sells them :) Just be a smaller amount for a couple of dollars I think! Just break it up into a powder....
By ame Comments: 28, member since Fri Feb 05, 2010
On Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:07 PM
Gaffers tape has worked for us. AND it is very easy to take off compared to duct tape that leaves the surface sticky. The gaffers tape doesn't last as long on the sole (toe and heel) as does the duct tape. But you don't lose the sound and you don't have all the sticky mess. I tape the heel in a T shape and tape the toe starting where the sole of the shoe is using the width of the tape from one side of the shoe to the other. About 1/4 of the tip of the toe is not taped. Hope this helps.
By RinceMama Comments: 24, member since Wed Sep 14, 2011
On Tue Oct 04, 2011 02:13 PM
Where did you get those pads? Did they deafen the sound at all?
By idmom1992 Comments: 141, member since Sun Jun 22, 2008
On Wed Oct 05, 2011 09:54 AM
We also swear by gaffers tape. We bought it probably 5 or 6 years ago (yes it lasts that long) before it was available from feis vendors - went to a music supply store because I had read that it was better than duct tape, didn't deaden the sound and removes without residue. It lived up to it's reputation.
By boleyngrrl Comments: 2410, member since Sat Apr 15, 2006
On Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:08 AM
Gaffers tape. Use it. Love it. You can step in water with it on which makes it uber-traction-y. It comes off reasonably well each time. I put one layer of tape over all of the fiberglass surfaces. I don't put any on the soles of my hardshoes because I wear hullachans, which have the non-skid right behind the back of the toe. My tape has also lasted quite a long time--four years, I think... And it's still perfectly usable.

Don't use electrical tape on the bottom of your shoes--that's for keeping your shoes on. It's not that sticky, and it's not very durable, so chances are you've taken all of the traction out of it by the time you've walked to the stage.

Duct tape is okay, but as you noted it deadens the sound and it's very hard to take off. Don't layer the tape. However, its traction is extremely good. (Don't get the shiny duct tape, only get the matte stuff).

If you are in a pinch (and ONLY if you are in a pinch), use masking tape. Three or four strips on your toe, and a couple on your heel. It lasts for one dance. However, it lasts long enough (I did a 2.5 minute show with 3 strips on my toe and two on my heel in a brand new pair of shoes and didn't slip once). I do not recommend this for regular use, though. Only in case of an emergency.

NEVER put water on your hardshoes. If you're up on your toes it will not help you, only hurt you. However, if you're lower on your toes, it will help a little bit (but not enough to actually make it worth the risk).

Rosin is alright, but it's a lot of hassle for preparation. I like just taping and going.
By RinceorNosretep Comments: 994, member since Fri Oct 23, 2009
On Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:52 AM
Just a note about the rosin, I know some venues don't allow it so my advice would be to not rely on that solely. Have a backup plan, like gaffer's tape :)
By Tansey Comments: 2202, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:55 AM
ame wrote:

Gaffers tape has worked for us. AND it is very easy to take off compared to duct tape that leaves the surface sticky. The gaffers tape doesn't last as long on the sole (toe and heel) as does the duct tape. But you don't lose the sound and you don't have all the sticky mess.

Gaffers tape is so superior to duct tape. I must say we've had the opposite experience as far as it lasting; gaffers tape lasts much longer for dd than duct tape ever did. Maybe it varies by brand. I have no idea what brands we've had. Got the first roll super cheap at Ocean State Job Lot, got the second roll for more from Rutherfords. But it doesn't really matter since each roll has lasted well over a year.
By Stepdancer Comments: 1777, member since Sun Oct 22, 2006
On Wed Oct 05, 2011 06:41 PM
My lighting designer husband will be so pleased that people know the difference between duct tape and gaffers' tape! :D

RinceMama wrote:

Where did you get those pads? Did they deafen the sound at all?

I had them applied at a shoe repair shop. Cost = <$10. They don't deaden the sound because they're not on the tips, they're behind the tips, on the sole of the shoe between the tip and the heel (not that entire area, just the ball of the foot area). I recommend them to all my students because they cut way down on the sliding. I don't call them "Irish Ice Skates" for nothing. ;)

Actually one of my students just bought a pair from...Red Haired Dancer? Redheaded Dancer?...something like that...which came with them already applied.
By boleyngrrl Comments: 2410, member since Sat Apr 15, 2006
On Wed Oct 05, 2011 06:46 PM
^Hullachan hardshoes have them pre-applied.

ReplySendWatch