Forum: General / Contests

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Contests
Fifth Annual DDN Karaoke Contest (karma: 6)
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Tue Sep 20, 2011 03:41 AM
Edited by oz_helen (35388) on 2011-09-20 03:41:59 formatting
Locked by oz_helen (35388) on 2012-01-29 17:56:18 Winner announced.

Back by popular demand!

This is the Fifth Annual DDN Karaoke Contest!

Contest closes at 11:59pm October 29th, 2011, DDN time.

You have just over a month to enter. This is to give enough time for people to select, rehearse and record a song.

What to do: Upload (or link to) video footage or audio of yourself singing karaoke. Audio files or footage where the face is not visible should contain an introduction with your DDN username.

There will be two major prizes awarded.

The winner of the Best Karaoke Singer will win a Premium Membership, a trophy and karma.
The winner of the Funniest Karaoke Singer will win a Premium Membership, a trophy and karma.
Runners up in each category will win ribbons and a surprise.

You may enter more than once. You may enter in both categories or have multiple entries in the one category.
Entries must have an accompanying backing track. Unaccompanied entries will be deemed ineligible for prizes. Karaoke is, by nature, performed with backing tracks.

Criteria:
The singers in the "Best" category will be judged on song choice*, accuracy, technique, interpretation and overall performance.
*Song choice is with regard to the appropriateness of the song for the singer.

The singers in the "Funniest" category will be judged on the laugh-o-meter, interpretation and overall performance. "Funniest" does not necessarily mean "Best intentionally bad performance". Humorous songs, satire and parody are all acceptable.

The judge's decision is final.

To see some of the fabulous performances from previous years, see the 2007 Contest, 2008 Contest, 2009 Contest or 2010 Contest
To see the complete results, look here: 2007 Results 2008 Results 2009 Results 2010 Results

Who will take the prizes in 2011?

Helen

39 Replies to Fifth Annual DDN Karaoke Contest

re: Fifth Annual DDN Karaoke Contest
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7023, member since Sat Jul 17, 2004
On Tue Sep 20, 2011 05:11 AM
Edited by DeStijl (100082) on 2011-09-20 05:12:23
I don't think I have shot at being the best, or the funniest - but I might actually have a go this year! :D

EDIT: does it count if you sing along with the original artist, or does it need to be a lyric less karaoke track?
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Tue Sep 20, 2011 06:34 AM
It needs to be a backing track. I think the very first contest has a link to a place where you can acquire backing tracks.

Helen
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Tue Sep 20, 2011 05:52 PM
So many choices, so much mid-90s pop to sing, so many bottles of wine to consume...
By Sumayah Comments: 6876, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Tue Sep 20, 2011 05:53 PM
Prepare the earplugs! I know what I'm entering! :D
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Tue Sep 20, 2011 09:41 PM
Who was the person with the cat last year? I can't remember for the life of me who that was, but that one was my favorite!

No entering for me this year, but I really love watching the Contest!
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15032, member since Thu Feb 14, 2002
On Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:08 PM
Remind me (and Zoe the Puppy) to come back to this when drunk...

...mwahahaha
re: Fifth Annual DDN Karaoke Contest (karma: 9)
On Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:15 PM
Hoping to get the ball rolling.

Helen
re: Fifth Annual DDN Karaoke Contest (karma: 11)
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:48 AM
OK, I have like 15 computers in this house, but apparently, none of them are set up to record sound - much less video. But here's my entry.

Someone Like You
dl.dropbox.com . . .

By now, y'all know that anyone who enters will get karma from me. This is a great DDN tradition, and whether you enter or not, I encourage everyone to give Helen karma for putting in so much time and effort to keep it going year after year. Kudos, Helen!!
By Teamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1321, member since Mon Apr 14, 2008
On Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:56 AM
jazz_lover wrote:

Who was the person with the cat last year? I can't remember for the life of me who that was, but that one was my favorite!

My Max made an appearance in one of my entries but I think it was two years ago. I'll see if I can't get a new video in this year but if I do, Max will sadly not be making his grand comeback. I lost him in the break up with my ex last year. :( I do have a new kitten, though, who is also quite vocal. Perhaps she'll be debuting this year.
On Fri Oct 07, 2011 09:29 PM
Panic, that was awesome! I wasn't expecting you to do the song in the same key as Adele. Nice phrase shaping, too.

Helen
By pasdebourretenduPremium member Comments: 1831, member since Mon Oct 24, 2005
On Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:06 PM
Helen - I can't see/hear yours on the phone but I will definately check back!!
Panic - I absolutely love your version! Love love love!
re: Fifth Annual DDN Karaoke Contest (karma: 5)
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11032, member since Sat Sep 17, 2005
On Sun Oct 09, 2011 06:29 PM
Thanks Helen for hosting another Karaoke Contest

My entries for this year's competition are as follows:

Hallelujah
www.singsnap.com . . .

The Glory of Love
www.singsnap.com . . .
re: Fifth Annual DDN Karaoke Contest (karma: 5)
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3906, member since Fri Jul 25, 2008
On Sun Oct 09, 2011 09:19 PM
Yeah, okay, I'm in, LOL. My entry is "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey: www.youtube.com . . .

Please note that my computer microphone sucks, so you can mostly hear me okay, but it's a little hard to hear the backing track. But it's there!

Also please note that I normally look a bit better than this. I recorded this on a whim and am therefore in my PJs with no makeup and unstyled hair. Spontaneous karaoke for the win!
re: Fifth Annual DDN Karaoke Contest (karma: 2)
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Mon Oct 10, 2011 02:21 PM
dl.dropbox.com . . .
Here's another one. One of my FAVORITES The Killing Moon. Youtube has tons of karaoke now. It's so much easier to find backing tracks than it was when Helen started this contest years ago.
On Mon Oct 10, 2011 02:29 PM
I really want to do Turning Tables by Adele. It seems like everyone who had entered is super good....hmmm if I can work up the nerve, I will enter this year.
re: Fifth Annual DDN Karaoke Contest (karma: 1)
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15032, member since Thu Feb 14, 2002
On Fri Oct 14, 2011 07:58 PM
My webcam has HORRIBLE sound quality, and in order to hear the backing track at all I have to play it on my phone.

This does not deter me! I shall record soon. NOBODY DO ANY MORE ADELE. I call dibs.
On Sat Oct 15, 2011 01:10 AM
Smileywoman - I loved both your version of Hallelujah and Glory of Love. You sing with such emotion in your voice! Just lovely!

Jonelle - I could just hear the backing, but that microphone did you no favours! Still, it was a tuneful and bouncy rendition and I particularly liked the bopping in the instrumental sections! Good job.

Panic - your voice is really suited for that post-punk era. Didn't you sing a Morrissey song in a previous contest? Totally your thing. Great song choice.

Helen
re: Fifth Annual DDN Karaoke Contest (karma: 3)
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11032, member since Sat Sep 17, 2005
On Sat Oct 15, 2011 08:46 AM
^Thanks Helen, you're sweet.

My earlier submissions were with a webcam that has a bad microphone, so I switched microphones and offer this:

Smileywoman singing 'Good Morning Heartache' (Billy Holliday)
www.singsnap.com . . .
re: Fifth Annual DDN Karaoke Contest (karma: 6)
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Sun Oct 16, 2011 02:24 PM
Edited by AlwaysOnStage (90901) on 2011-10-16 14:25:29 Wah! I don't know how to embed youtube videos. :-(
Hello DDN!

Here it is, my first ever entry to a DDN Karaoke Contest! I planned on it last year, however, every recording I did I didn't like and was like "Well I'll take notes, do it again, and submit that one." Vicious Cycle.

So, this year's rule, I get up to 3 recordings of a song and then I have to post it.

youtu.be . . .

So, "Dream a Little Dream of Me" is my first entry. I have another one in the works, but I don't want to record it until I know I can do the lyrics flawlessly. :)

I've elected to keep my face off-camera, but I gave you all David to look at. :P
On Thu Oct 20, 2011 08:09 PM
Can someone please sing "Twice" by Little Dragon? I am totally in love with that song, and I also want to hear someone else remake it. I don't know if they have a background track for this, but I would love to hear someone try this song.

www.youtube.com . . .
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4038, member since Thu Nov 09, 2006
On Fri Oct 28, 2011 04:19 AM
Are we allowed to do musical theatre songs? I *may* enter just so we have an entry in the funny category...
On Fri Oct 28, 2011 04:25 AM
Musical theatre is definitely allowed.

Helen
By pasdebourretenduPremium member Comments: 1831, member since Mon Oct 24, 2005
On Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:56 PM
Wahhh I missed it!
I've had a sinus infection for the past couple weeks and just got half my voice back... but I get that every year around this time so it's all good. Not as many participants as I had hoped, but those that did participate were lovely :)
On Tue Nov 01, 2011 05:25 AM
I'll going to have a listen to the last couple of entries hopefully tomorrow and then make my deliberations.

This is probably the last time I'll run this contest, as it seems the interest really just isn't there anymore. Thank you everyone who participated! I really appreciated your efforts!

Helen
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed