Forum: Folk / Belly Dance

Belly Dance
How to do a belly roll!
By shira Comments: 1051, member since Wed Jul 03, 2002
On Wed Sep 21, 2011 03:58 PM

This page on my web site describes how to do a belly roll.

www.shira.net . . .

Many belly dance teachers find this move difficult to teach. If you're having trouble learning, it could be because your teacher doesn't know how to explain it in a way that works for YOU.

If you like the page, please click either on the "+1" icon at the top right-hand corner of the page for Google+, or on the "Like" icon in that corner for facebook. Thanks!

3 Replies to How to do a belly roll!

re: How to do a belly roll!
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7921, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Thu Sep 22, 2011 02:35 PM
Loved reading that, Shira.

It will probably make you LOL to know, my seven year old son does these like it's nothing! When he does it, I tell him he's a showoff and he just laughs.
By Naoisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1463, member since Tue Apr 20, 2004
On Thu Sep 22, 2011 03:37 PM
Thanks, Shira! I have some of these in my next company piece and can use all the help I can get!

Any advice for a dancer also fighting swayback? It's gotten better since I started belly dancing, but I still have to fight it with a lot of moves.
By shira Comments: 1051, member since Wed Jul 03, 2002
On Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:27 AM
Naoise, you're smart to try "fixing" your swayback. It can lead to lots of lower back pain, particularly sciatic nerve.

My most important tip: avoid wearing high-heeled shoes. Even a "low" one-inch heel can lead to swayback.

Work on strengthening your abdominal muscles with crunches and other abdominal toning exercises. Strong abs can balances the muscles that are pulling your back into that position.

Hire a personal trainer to teach you exercises that stretch the psoas muscles - lunges and such. It's worth the price of a session to make sure you're doing such exercises correctly.

Try to think of your tailbone as heavy, pulling your pelvis down in the back.

I hope some of these ideas help!

ReplySendWatch