On Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:57 AM
Edited by topphilly (207347) on 2011-09-27 10:59:43 markup fix
Edited by topphilly (207347) on 2011-09-27 11:01:28 and again
Bumped by Sumayah (204191) on 2012-06-14 22:35:05
Bumped by Sumayah (204191) on 2013-09-13 14:22:44
Bumped by hummingbird (128773) on 2013-09-14 07:35:19
Bumped by Sumayah (204191) on 2014-03-01 21:38:58
Bumped by Sumayah (204191) on 2015-04-19 21:08:53
Made sticky by Sumayah (204191) on 2015-04-19 21:10:16 Whoops! Forgot to grease the pan!
Bumped by Sumayah (204191) on 2016-12-09 11:07:31

Image hotlink - 'http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/cookie-ch.jpg'
After a brief exchange of cookies, dance.net . . . Sumayah suggested I re-post this on the food board so here goes.

Basically, this is an online cookie swap. Not as tasty or fattening as the real thing, but not as expensive or time consuming either.

Post a recipe (with pictures if you can get them)of your favorite cookie recipe. In real life cookie swaps, some people go all out and bring on their best. Others cheap out and do something without expensive ingredients (like Snickerdoodles...a mod favorite)or worse, store bought. As Kandy Kane noted, however, there are creative ways to jazz up store bought stuff so if that is your "trade secret", go ahead.

To repeat the "entry" on the other thread, this is the most requested cookie in my family and the one that disappears first when I send cookies to our customers' offices at Christmas. I have about 8 or 10 others, but I'll start the post with this and hope everyone else joins in.

Chocolate Crinkles

Mix together:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
Add:
4 eggs
One at a time, mix well after each addition.
Stir in:
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Cover and Refrigerate at least 4 hours, but overnight is better.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Put 1/2 -1 cup confectioners' sugar (more or less) in a plastic bag.
Drop rounded teaspoons full of dough into the powdered sugar, then roll into 1” balls. Roll the balls in sugar again. Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. (The original directions called for a well greased cookie sheet, but I find this is better because the cookies don’t “fry”)
Image hotlink - 'http://images.media-allrecipes.com//site/allrecipes/area/community/userphoto/big/59768.jpg'

Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes. Let stand on the cookie sheet for a minute before transferring to wire racks to cool.
Image hotlink - 'http://images.media-allrecipes.com//site/allrecipes/area/community/userphoto/big/261601.jpg'

The original recipe called for 4 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled, but I find this is just a good and a bit less oily. I’ve also seen similar recipes calling for 1 cup of cocoa.

Keep On Dancing*

141 Replies to Cookie Swap

re: Cookie Swap (karma: 2)
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Tue Sep 27, 2011 07:07 PM
My favorite cookies are probably mexican wedding cookies
Image hotlink - 'http://www.epicurious.com/images/recipesmenus/2003/2003_may/108073.jpg'
I'll just link to the recipe www.epicurious.com . . .
They just dissolve on your tongue. They're very similar to pecan sandies, which are also terrific but more like a shortbread
Image hotlink - 'http://images.media-allrecipes.com/site/allrecipes/area/community/userphoto/big/18320.jpg'
allrecipes.com . . .

My mom has a "recipe" that uses cake mix to make cookies. You can use any kind of cake mix, but I really love the chocolate mix with raisins. OMG! I'll have to ask her for the recipe and post it later.
re: Cookie Swap (karma: 1)
By Trout Comments: 897, member since Mon Nov 08, 2010
On Wed Sep 28, 2011 01:03 AM

Double chocolate chip cookies! You can make them into cookies or bars. Yum yum yum yum.

Ingredients

* 2 1/4 cups flour
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 2 sticks butter, softened
* 1 cup granulated sugar
* 1 cup packed brown sugar
* 2 large eggs, beaten
* 1 tablespoon vanilla
* 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
* 2 cups chocolate chips, 2 Hershey's chocolate bars, chopped or M&M'S
* 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl stir together flour, salt, and baking soda. In another large bowl stir together butter, both sugars, eggs, vanilla and cocoa. Gradually stir flour mixture into butter mixture and mix until combined. Stir chocolate chips and walnuts, if using, and stir to distribute evenly.

For cookies: Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets and bake about 10 minutes. Cool on a baking rack.

For bars: Pat dough into a greased 9 inch square baking pan and bake 20 to 25 minutes. Cut into squares when cooled.

*I like to bake my cookies just a bit under the recommended time so that they are still doughy in the middle. I am really craving these right now!
By LoriCook Comments: 1762, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Wed Sep 28, 2011 01:33 AM
My favorite cookies are the ones I make when there are no cookie ingredients in the house and when I have no energy to do anything better. I make a million of them at Christmas time. These are delicious!!!

Incredibly Easy Peanut Butter Cookies

1 c sugar
1 c creamy peanut butter
1 egg

Stir it all together. Form into balls (will be a bit sticky) and press with a fork dipped in sugar. Stick them in the oven at 350 and cook for 10 minutes and check. You want them to be just the tiniest bit brown around the edges. Don't over cook. With my cookie sheets I usually end up cooking them 15 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes then remove with a spatula. Makes about a dozen little cookies.

Do not use reduced fat peanut butter!
re: Cookie Swap
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:13 AM
^ Those are really good! We've made them before.

Still trying to decide which recipe I'll submit, but I will be back.

kk~
re: Cookie Swap (karma: 3)
By Burkebobcatmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 204, member since Sun Feb 25, 2007
On Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:36 PM
Bailey's Irish Cream Chocolate chip cookies

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. Bailey's Irish cream (original, caramel, Mint)
2 1/4 c. cake flour
1 pack of instant pudding
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 (6 oz.) pkg. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 c. chopped nuts(optional)
Cream butter, sugars and egg until fluffy. Add vanilla and Bailey's Irish cream. Mix dry ingredients, including instant pudding and blend into creamed mixture. Add chips. Drop onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Cool.

The instant pudding makes these the softest cookies ever! and I have done it using Vanilla, Chocolate, or white Chocolate, all turn out amazing. You can also choose whatever flavor Baileys you want too, but The Caramel is my favorite!
~*Burkebobcat*~
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Wed Sep 28, 2011 01:07 PM
I'm a sucker for Magic Cookie Bars - those layered cookies you make with sweetened condensed milk:

Recipe: www.eaglebrand.com . . .

I also make wonderful biscotti every year at holiday time using these epicurious recipes:

Biscotti with cranberries and pistachios dipped in white chocolate:
www.epicurious.com . . .

Double chocolate walnut biscotti:
www.epicurious.com . . .
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Wed Sep 28, 2011 02:08 PM
Oh god magic cookie bars make me gag. Don't get me wrong - it's a great easy recipe and most people LOVE them. And you can really use ANYTHING as a topping, so they're great for cleaning out your pantry. And they're cute. But to me, condensed milk is so gross. Milk syrpup, BLECH! And when I worked at the catering company, I had to bake magic cookie bars every day. I can still remember the smell of the baking condensed milk, and it makes me throw up in my mouth just a little bit. On a more positive note, every morning when I was making those damn cookie bars (along with lemon squares - also gag-inducing), I would eat like half a bag of sweetened coconut. Until then, I thought I didn't really like coconut. But what I discovered is that I didn't like coconut IN STUFF. A big handful of it (or maybe half a bag of it for breakfast) is like eating coconut candy.

Anyway, for the magic cookie bars, you can use any kind of cookie for the crust. The recipe calls for graham crackers, but I've also used chocolate wafers or anything crumbly like shortbread or gingersnaps.
By Prima_ballerina5member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1078, member since Fri May 27, 2005
On Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:38 PM
My favourite cookies to date are Peanut Butter and Choc-Chip.

Ingredients:
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp bicarb soda
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup dark choc chips

Preheat oven to 200°C. Line two trays with non-stick baking paper. Combine peanut butter, sugar, bicarb soda and egg in a bowl. Stir in choc chips.

Roll teaspoonfuls of the mixture into balls and place on the tray. Press lightly with a fork. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until light golden.

YUM!
re: Cookie Swap (karma: 4)
By Sumayah Comments: 6876, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:49 PM
Fruit pizza.

I took the easy road and bought a premixed tube of Pillsbury sugar cookie dough because when I made this last it was spur of the moment walking past the cookie dough going you know what we should do tonight kind of deal. So substitute your favorite sugar cookie recipe.

I used a pizza stone and pressed the entirety of the dough out on the stone. I then baked at the suggested temperature for a bit longer than recommended - until the cookie was golden. As the cookie cooled, I made the "pizza sauce."

1 pkg Philadelphia cream cheese (room temperature)
1C Sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract

Blend until smooth.

After the cookie has cooled, spread the sauce on top. Top with fresh sliced fruit. I used a gala apple, green seedless grapes, strawberries, blueberries and a nectarine on my pizza. Use a chef's knife to cut into pizza slices and serve!

~~~~~

Okay, I found this recipe and I *had* to share this. I picked up my copy of "The Bounty of East Texas" to find an old fashioned sugar cookie recipe. It has one. But more importantly it also has these:

Sausage Cookies

1 lb. fresh pork sausage
1 1/2 C. flour
1/2 C. brown sugar
1t. baking powder
3/4 t. salt
1 egg, beaten
1/3 C. orange juice
1 t. grated orange rind
1/4 C. drippings
1/4 C. chopped nuts (optional)

Lightly brown sausage breaking into pieces. Remove sausage to paper toweling and reserve 1/4 cup drippings. Mix flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Combine egg, orange juice, orange rind, and reserved drippings, and stir into dry ingredients. Stir in sausage and nuts. Drop by spoonfuls onto baking sheet. Bake in hot oven 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Store in refrigerator.

YIELD: 6 dozen

Mrs. Paul Glaske

ZOMG WHO IS GOING TO MAKE THESE AND REPORT BACK!? They're like the predecessor to bacon/maple cookies. Sausage, orange juice, egg, and bread. It's breakfast for dessert! Oh east Texas, I had no idea you were so forward thinking!
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:10 AM
This one has an urban legend attached.

The Neiman Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe Urban Legend Hoax

In the 1980's a story about a Neiman Marcus cookie recipe started circulating as a viral urban legend. Supposedly a customer who was eating a chocolate chip cookie at the Dallas Neiman Marcus store asked the waiter for the recipe. The waiter informed her that he could give her the recipe, but there would be a "two-fifty" charge. When the woman received her VISA statement, she found a $250.00 charge, instead of the $2.50 charge she was expecting. As revenge, she then started telling the story and circulating the recipe for free.

Neiman Marcus claims the story is completely untrue, pointing out that it had no chocolate chip recipe at the time the story started circulating, and that it also did not accept VISA as a form of payment in its stores. In response to the widespread rumor and the criticism they received from it, the company did create a chocolate cookie recipe, which it makes available at no charge.

The Neiman Marcus $250 Cookie Recipe story is considered to be an urban legend. It was an early example of viral communication that was originally passed along via xerox copies. The legend gained even more notoriety as a popular viral e-mail message that readers were encouraged to forward to all their friends.

This is the recipe they developed in response to the rumors. I remember when this story first came out, my mom and her friends thought it was true. They are good but some may find them too sweet.

Ingredients

•1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
•1 cup light brown sugar
•3 tablespoons granulated sugar
•1 large egg
•2 teaspoons vanilla extract
•1-3/4 cups all purpose flour
•1/2 teaspoon baking powder
•1/2 teaspoon baking soda
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•1-1/2 teaspoons instant espresso coffee powder
•1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Cream the butter with the sugars using an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy (approximately 30 seconds)

2. Beat in the egg and the vanilla extract for another 30 seconds.

3. In a mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients and beat into the butter mixture at low speed for about 15 seconds. Stir in the espresso coffee powder and chocolate chips.

4. Using a 1 ounce scoop or a 2 tablespoon measure, drop cookie dough onto a greased cookie sheet about 3 inches apart. Gently press down on the dough with the back of a spoon to spread out into a 2 inch circle. Bake for about 20 minutes or until nicely browned around the edges. Bake a little longer for a crispier cookie.

Yield: 2 dozen cookies

I found a new recipe tonight looking around for this ^ but I want to try it before I post it.

kk~
By Hrynmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 924, member since Wed Aug 15, 2007
On Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:13 AM
Mookies! They are cookies with more of a muffin-like texture. Sounds strange but entirely delicious and super simple. Take a package of spice cake mix, and blend it with a can of pumpkin pie filling. Add amount of eggs required as well. I also love to add in extra cinnamon and nutmeg and such. Drop spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet, plop them into the oven according to directions, and pull them out when they are still nice and soft, but cooked. They're delicious plain, but also with cream cheese frosting :)
re: Cookie Swap (karma: 6)
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11250, member since Tue Feb 26, 2002
On Thu Sep 29, 2011 01:45 AM
ANZAC Biscuits. There is no way I can submit this recipe without a little history lesson, so enjoy:

During World War One, the Australian and New Zealand armies fought together, under the name of Australian and New Zealand Army Corps, or ANZAC. At 6am On April 25th, 1915, the ANZACs landed at Suvla Bay on the Gallipoli Peninsula in Turkey, and met with absolute hell. The Ottomans were high on the dunes picking off Australian and New Zealand soldiers "like lambs to the slaughter" as the song goes. For eight long months the campaign dragged on, stopping on May 24th so that both sides could bury their dead in no man's land. This event fostered a strong camraderie between the ANZAC and Ottoman soldiers, depite the fact that the campaign went on until January 9, 1916. The whole thing was just a terrible event for Australia, New Zealand and Turkey, and has been commemorated every year since on April 25th - ANZAC Day. We also commemorate all our other servicepeople on this day as well.

Back then, the wives, mothers and girlfriends of the departed soldiers were worried about the quality of the food being supplied to their men, so set about to send them food. However, due to the fact that it had to be carried from Australia and New Zealand by the Merchant Navy, the food had to be something that would survive the 2 month trip, and still be nutritious.

Hence, ANZAC Biscuits:

Image hotlink - 'http://cdn.taste.com.au/images/recipes/tas/2009/04/21104.jpg'

1 1/4 cups plain flour, sifted
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup caster sugar
3/4 cup desiccated coconut
2 tablespoons golden syrup or pale treacle
150g unsalted butter, chopped
1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda

Preheat oven to 170°C (325°F, Gas Mark 3).
Place the flour, oats, sugar and coconut in a large bowl and stir to combine.
In a small saucepan place the golden syrup and butter and stir over low heat until the butter has fully melted.
Mix the bicarb soda with 1 1/2 tablespoons water and add to the golden syrup mixture.
It will bubble whilst you are stirring together so remove from the heat.
Pour into the dry ingredients and mix together until fully combined.
Roll tablespoonfuls of mixture into balls and place on baking trays lined with non stick baking paper, pressing down on the tops to flatten slightly (Protip: I like to use a fork to flatten the biscuits because it leaves a pleasant pattern on top).
Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown. (Protip: Watch them as they cook because they overcook easily and are best left chewy inside. Also they will harden as they cool.)

(Recipe from Taste.com.au, edited to include my protips)

Every year, commercially made ANZAC Biscuits are sold by the Returned Services League to raise money for returned servicemen and women and their families, but NOTHING beats a homemade ANZAC, warm fresh from the oven and chewy in the centre. MMM!

Erin.
::righteous babe::
On Thu Sep 29, 2011 02:26 AM
golden syrup or pale treacle
Almost no one in the US has heard of either of these things. I happen to know what they are, but I've never seen or tasted either one. Some possible substitutions are (in approximate order of bestness) light corn syrup, clover or wildflower honey, dark corn syrup, pancake syrup (NOT maple syrup - it's too runny), other honey, light molasses, dark molasses.

bicarb soda
That's baking soda.

caster sugar
This is usually called superfine sugar in the US. If you can't find it, just put normal sugar into a blender/food processor/coffee grinder and stop just before it turns into powdered sugar.

And I imagine dessicated coconut is labeled "sweetened dried coconut" over here.

Seriously? 150 frickin grams? Not only do we not have scales in our kitchens, we don't know what a gram is. (except for the *sniff, sniff* good stuff)

Oh, and one more thing. That recipe needs salt. At least 1/4 tsp. Very odd that it's not included - ESPECIALLY since these were meant for travel. But either way, do yourself a favor and add some salt.
By Scarletmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 952, member since Fri Apr 11, 2008
On Thu Sep 29, 2011 04:27 AM
Edited by Scarlet (194795) on 2011-09-29 04:28:50
Edited by Scarlet (194795) on 2011-09-29 04:36:25 MOAR
golden syrup or pale treacle
Almost no one in the US has heard of either of these things.

Google. Golden syrup is one step of refinement past molasses, one step before raw sugar. Actually, I think the Golden part might have been an old trademark that's become part of the lexicon. It's cane sugar syrup. Nom nom nom.

bicarb soda
That's baking soda.

That's Sodium Bicarbonate. Na2HCO3.

Seriously? 150 frickin grams?

Yep.

Not only do we not have scales in our kitchens...

Shops are out there. Or just:
Image hotlink - 'http://diatome.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif'

we don't know what a gram is.

Google. Online Converter. I do it all the time with beer recipes made by some guy from Podunk, Colorado.

Oh, and one more thing. That recipe needs salt.

No it effing doesn't. They are a sweet biscuit. I don't think I've ever used salt in any biscuit. Perhaps I'm missing out, I suppose my blood vessels could do with a bit of hardening.

ESPECIALLY since these were meant for travel

That's what the NaHCO3 and truckload of treacle was for. They sure as hell weren't fresh when they met their destination but, by God, I'm sure they tasted better than Bully Beef and whatever else passed for rations.

But enough nit-picking. Most of your info's good, mah boi. And I'm done derailing the thread. The bit about the dessicated coconut's very useful, seeing as there's always a cultural diode with many in the US.

Mark
On Thu Sep 29, 2011 04:45 AM
Google. Golden syrup is one step of refinement past molasses, one step before raw sugar.
I know what it is, and we don't have it here. I've looked.

And I still think that recipe needs salt. When I see a discrepancy between an Australian pastry recipe and a classic French pastry recipe... Do I even need to finish that sentence? I'm not insinuating that Australia is a culinary black hole of death. I'm just saying... never mind. It's a black hole of death. But on the other hand, when we need a recipe for kangaroo jerky, you'll be the first people we call. That has to be some kind of comfort. Right? Right? Right?
By Scarletmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 952, member since Fri Apr 11, 2008
On Thu Sep 29, 2011 04:50 AM
Edited by Scarlet (194795) on 2011-09-29 04:57:39 My original post needed more nonsense.
There you go. I reckon try with either molasses or dark corn syrup.

Personally I do find it odd that you may have raw sugar and molasses but not the one intermediate product between the two. But them's the breaks. :P.

Also, 150g of butter is roughly 2/3 cup. Traditional recipes would have had these sorts of measurements, and Australian recipe books are a weird mishmash of metric and imperical measurements anyway. And you can buy these nifty blocks of butter that have 50g graduations on the side of the wrapping, so no scales are necessary. I just wanted to post the dog.

Perhaps we should find a traditional recipe. It probably calls for 12 pounds of dead sheep. I'll make that my mission. Mutton biscuits.

Mark
On Thu Sep 29, 2011 05:17 AM
Personally I do find it odd that you may have raw sugar and molasses but not the one intermediate product between the two.
It is odd - especially since I live in a region that grows A LOT of sugarcane. But I've never even seen golden syrup, and I've tried to find it several times. Anyway, I bet you guys don't have guarapo. That's freshly squeezed sugarcane juice. It's HUGELY popular around here and also completely disgusting.

I just checked, and my butter is marked in fractions of a cup, fractions of a pound, and tablespoons. The box says the whole thing is 454 g, but duh. That's less than useful.
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Thu Sep 29, 2011 06:17 AM
Edited by Tansey (209516) on 2011-09-29 07:49:06 added a link
Edited by Tansey (209516) on 2011-09-29 07:51:25
Of all the cookies I make, this is the one I get asked for more than any other. Although they are for Christmas, I always stock up on candy canes because I will be asked to make these over and over until at least the end of February.

PEPPERMINT MERINGUES

4 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup sugar
4 peppermint candy canes, crushed

In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Sprinkle with salt and cram of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff peaks form; about 7 minutes. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased parchment-lined baking sheets; sprinkle liberally with the crushed candy canes. Bake at 225 F for 90 minutes. Turn off heat; leave cookies in the oven with the door ajar for at least an hour or until cool. When fully cooled, store in airtight containers.

Original recipe from Taste of Home Magazine, December 1999)

Another favorite is Triple-Ginger Cookies.
www.cooking.com . . .

I make one change; instead of confectioners' sugar, I use finely granulated sugar, which I roll the cookies in before baking. Be careful not to overbake these cookies.
By hummingbird Comments: 10418, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Thu Sep 29, 2011 09:42 AM
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2011-09-29 09:44:06 Net speak!
454g is 1lb.

I've found Golden Syrup here in Canada even in my local supermarket, they even have Marmite here too but they think it's a baking product, I think it's because it says yeast on the jar. Anyone who tries to use that for baking is going to get a nasty shock :D

This is one of my favourites and one my mum used to make for us as kids. I'll do it in pounds and ounces so that no one has to google grams.

4oz rolled oats
4oz plain flour/all purpose flour
3oz Golden syrup Maple syrup is a bit runnier but would work too
4oz butter or margarine
2 tsp baking powder
2oz sugar

Put your butter, syrup and sugar in a saucepan and heat gently until it's all melted.

Put everything else into a bowl and mix it, tip in the wet ingredients and stir.

Grease a tray square cake tin, pat the mixture into the pan and put in the oven for approximately 25 minutes at 400 degrees F or until golden brown.

Leave in the tray but cut into bars straight away, after about ten minutes remove the squares from the tray to cool them.

I'm sorry, it's got to be grams next time, oz is net speak
By BloodyDanceToesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3782, member since Fri Nov 29, 2002
On Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:59 AM
I didn't even read the rest of this.

SAUSAGE COOKIES?! Please someone make them. I'm a recently converted vegetarian, and I'm so curious as to whether those are good or not.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:40 AM
I'm hunting for a less cumbersome chart, but here is a link for the most common conversions.
allrecipes.com . . .

Keep On Dancing*
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:46 PM
Sumayah wrote:

Fruit pizza...
I used a gala apple, green seedless grapes, strawberries, blueberries and a nectarine on my pizza.

I'd forgotten about this! Haven't made it in years. I always made it the same way you describe, except that I used strawberries, blueberries, peaches, kiwi and raspberries. I have made it for the 4th of July using just strawberries and blueberries, with the cream cheese mixture serving as the white in the red, white and blue theme. Yum!
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Thu Sep 29, 2011 02:07 PM
Image hotlink - 'http://www.christopherscookieclassics.com/images/ClassicSnickerdoodle-L-20%20Drop.jpg'

This wouldn't be a DDN cookie swap without snickerdoodles.

www.bettycrocker.com . . .

I make them with butter and sometimes shape them into crescents instead of balls. I've also seen them done with an icing glaze, but I've never tried it myself. These are also grab and go "breakfast cookies".

Check out the photos of all the variations of this humble biscuit.

www.google.com . . .

Keep On Dancing*
By MaxwellPremium member Comments: 1476, member since Sat Oct 27, 2007
On Thu Sep 29, 2011 02:43 PM
Whoopie Pies:

Image hotlink - 'http://g-cdn.apartmenttherapy.com/1402554/2010-05-07-WhoopiePie1_rect540.jpg'

More like the texture of cake, but they look like cookies and I love them, so I pick them:

1 2/3 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 tablespoons vegetable shortening
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 375 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper (of if you, like me, never remember to buy it, just grease them with shortening or spray with PAM.)

Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt onto a sheet of parchment paper (again, usually no parchment, so small bowl). In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter, shortening, and brown sugar until fluffy. Add in egg and vanilla. Add half the flour mixture and half the milk to the batter and combine until incorporated. Scrape down sides of the bowl and add remaining flour and milk. Drop about 1 tablespoon of batter onto one of the sheets and repeat, making sure they are at least two inches apart. Bake one sheet at a time for about 10 minutes, or until they spring back when pressed gently.

You can fill them with pretty much anything-chocolate, vanilla, or cream cheese frosting, marshmallow cream, ganache, or, my favorite-dulce de leche. But whoopie pie traditionalists will tell you that this is the only option:

1/2 cups marshmallow cream (I like to make my own with Martha Stewart's recipe, but the prepared kind works fine).
1 1/4 cups vegetable shortening
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Beat together marshmallow cream and shortening until smooth and fluffy. Blend in the confectioners' sugar and vanilla and beat to desired consistency.
Page:
Page 1 of 61 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatch