Forum: Arts / Food & Beverage

Page:
Page 2 of 61 2 3 4 5 6
re: Cookie Swap (karma: 1)
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Thu Sep 29, 2011 06:01 PM
* * * N E W S F L A S H * * *
I found Golden Syrup on the shelf in the grocery store tonight.

It was in a single row, right up against the wall, next to the genuine maple syrup from Vermont. The cans were dusty and a one pound can cost $4.59
Image hotlink - 'http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/pDrIPmX1iajqAA1m8zgq2Hmkyw0y9Ag6f8pCs_v2_265wOL8eg-zj55TN2PMcr0GUyQXX4IOoP8Ro9KdA3ZYl7icHh3KrvLq_fzGvejvyCGNvRJAp66_XTEWQeAt_bAoQ3HCw19ZXlxhKGuWCPt2Q53jWGIWC1wunAez'

Then, I found some online for $3.00. I don't know about the shipping cost...

Keep On Dancing*
By celticprincessmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1076, member since Thu Aug 26, 2010
On Thu Sep 29, 2011 07:16 PM
Cranberry Bogs!

Basically these are Toll House chocolate chip cookies, but you add nuts and dried cranberries. I like to use walnuts, but you can use any nuts you want. Also I'm pretty sure that you can switch the semi-sweet chips for white or dark chocolate chips,but I haven't tried using them yet :)

Ingredients
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Directions
PREHEAT oven to 375° F.

COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels, nuts and cranberries. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
re: Cookie Swap
On Thu Sep 29, 2011 07:51 PM
Now that I have "treacle on the brain" I finally remembered that I've seen something about this before ... Harry Potter's favorite dessert was "Treacle Tart"

I don't know if this truly Harry Potter's favorite, but I did find a recipe. Not exactly a cookie, but I suppose it could be made bite size in gem cups.

www.instructables.com . . .

Keep On Dancing*
By MaxwellPremium member Comments: 1476, member since Sat Oct 27, 2007
On Fri Sep 30, 2011 02:11 PM
1/2 cups marshmallow cream (I like to make my own with Martha Stewart's recipe, but the prepared kind works fine).
1 1/4 cups vegetable shortening
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

I met 1 and a 1/2 cups marshmallow cream. Half a cup would be gross and just taste like slightly sweet Crisco.
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Fri Sep 30, 2011 03:42 PM
celticprincess wrote:

Cranberry Bogs!

Basically these are Toll House chocolate chip cookies, but you add nuts and dried cranberries. I like to use walnuts, but you can use any nuts you want. Also I'm pretty sure that you can switch the semi-sweet chips for white or dark chocolate chips,but I haven't tried using them yet.

These are wonderful cookies! A friend of mine makes them often with white chocolate chips, Craisins, and uses pecans instead of walnuts for me as I am not a walnut fan. Delish!
By GrinsPremium member Comments: 3429, member since Sat May 08, 2004
On Sat Oct 01, 2011 02:00 AM
I just made some of LoriCook's three ingredient peanut butter cookies and they are AMAZING. Seriously, everyone must try these - they are delicious, quick and super easy.
By Puss_in_Bootsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4517, member since Mon Jun 03, 2002
On Sat Oct 01, 2011 08:17 AM
Well Erin took ANZAC bikkies, so I guess it's left to me to cover the jam drops!

Recipe taken from www.exclusivelyfood.com.au . . .

130g butter, softened
112g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (1/2 teaspoon natural vanilla essence)
1 large egg (we use eggs with a minimum weight of 59g)
24g (2 tablespoons) cornflour
36g (3 tablespoons) self-raising flour (or 3 tablespoons of plain flour and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder)
150g (1 cup) plain flour
About 105g (1/3 cup) jam

Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius (150 degrees fan-forced).

Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.

Using an electric mixer or electric hand-beaters, beat butter or margarine, sugar and vanilla until pale and creamy.

Add egg and beat until combined.

Sift in combined flours. Using a spoon, stir until all ingredients are combined. The dough will be very soft at this stage. Refrigerate dough for 20-30 minutes.

Roll heaped teaspoons of mixture into balls and place on lined baking trays. Make a deep indentation in the centre of each ball. We use the end of a spatula handle and dip it in flour before making each indentation.

Fill each indentation with 1/2 teaspoon of jam. Don't overfill the cavities or the jam will overflow during baking.

Bake for about 20 minutes, until biscuits are pale golden. About halfway through the cooking time, swap the trays around so the biscuits bake evenly (this is not necessary if you are using a fan-forced oven).

Allow to cool on trays or a wire rack (beware of eating straight from the oven as the jam is extremely hot). Store cooled biscuits in an airtight container.

I think I need to get my sister over here with coconut macaroons.

I'm also going to try the peanut butter cookies next week. I love peanut butter so much that this can't possibly go wrong!
On Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:32 AM
^These sound lovely. I make a few different jams every year and this seems like a nice way to show them off.

I do have a question though. When you refer to corn flour, is it like our corn meal, a kind of grainy flour, or corn starch, which is white and looks like powdered sugar? OR should I put corn meal in the blender and make it more like all purpose flour?

Thanks to everyone for all these great recipes. Before this is over, I may try to assemble them into a booklet of some kind.

Keep them coming!

Keep On Dancing*
On Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:45 PM
Edited by topphilly (207347) on 2011-10-01 12:47:12 oops
Edited by topphilly (207347) on 2011-10-01 12:48:27 try again
At Christmas time I make large cookies platters for my husband’s customers. I found this recipe on the back of the Andes Candies baking chips bag and changed it up a bit for visual appeal. I cut back the sugar by 1/4 cup and rolled the cookies in sugar to finish them. I don’t know if these Andes Candies chips are available all over. When I can’t get them here I chop up the crème d menthe candies, but this is a pain because they are small and have to be unwrapped, although it is a good job for the kids (who always like to help).

Andes Candies Mint Cookies

Preheat oven to 350°F

Cream together:
½ cup softened butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs

Stir in:
2-2/3 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp baking powder

Mix well.
Then add:
2 tsp. vanilla extract and green food coloring. I use the paste colors so I just need to use a little bit but the liquid is fine.
Gently add:
1 (10 ounce) package Andes mint baking chips or chopped candy Image hotlink - 'http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/b/0/0/10c/e/AAAAC4svNt4AAAAAAQzgpg.jpg?v=1290905336000'
or
Image hotlink - 'http://consumerist.com/2010/03/01/030110-001-andes-mints-652.jpg'
Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
Shape dough into 1”balls, roll lightly in granulated sugar. Place on parchment paper lined cooked sheets approximately 2” apart, and flatten balls with a heavy glass. Bake for approximately 8-10 minutes or until the edges are just starting to brown.

Cool on pans for 2 minutes then move to cooling racks.
Image hotlink - 'http://www.wannagetbaked.com/uploads/6/8/1/1/6811720/4535969.jpg?492'
They kind of look like this, but without the big chunks on top, and because they are more molded, their size is more uniform and the edges not so sloped. The sugar on the outside gives them a glittery look. They are really a pretty addition to a cookie platter. I also use them at Thanksgiving.

Keep On Dancing*
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11250, member since Tue Feb 26, 2002
On Sat Oct 01, 2011 04:20 PM
topphilly wrote:

I do have a question though. When you refer to corn flour, is it like our corn meal, a kind of grainy flour, or corn starch, which is white and looks like powdered sugar? OR should I put corn meal in the blender and make it more like all purpose flour?

Cornflour sounds more like what you described as corn starch. It's white, fine, tightly packed and we also use it to thicken sauces and gravy - does that sound like the same thing?

Erin.
::righteous babe::
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Sat Oct 01, 2011 04:58 PM
yeah, corn flour is corn starch. Do commonwealth countries have corn meal? I know it's popular in Italy as polenta. Down here every store sells at least 3 different kinds of corn meal.
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sat Oct 01, 2011 05:33 PM
Yes it is the same thing, I had a lot of translations to do on the cooking front when we moved to Canada, it took quite a while to get my first lot of baking stuff and a lot of reading packets in the store.
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11250, member since Tue Feb 26, 2002
On Sat Oct 01, 2011 06:37 PM
We have polenta here, you can buy it in the Italian foods section of the supermarket. So that's cornmeal?

Erin.
::righteous babe::
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Sat Oct 01, 2011 07:02 PM
Father and I went down to camp along with Captain Gooding
There we saw the men and boys as thick as hasty pudding!

:D

kk~
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Sat Oct 01, 2011 07:18 PM
Polenta is the same as cornmeal and masa harina (which is used for making corn tortillas). The only possible difference is the coarseness of the grind. But you absolutely can use polenta to make american cornbread, tamales, or tortillas (just for example).
On Sun Oct 02, 2011 08:55 PM
kandykane wrote:

Father and I went down to camp along with Captain Gooding
There we saw the men and boys as thick as hasty pudding!

:D

kk~

This reminded me of one of those "cheater" cookies. It is sinfully easy, doesn't require much skill, or even much measuring. I usually use 1 cup of each ingredient but you can vary it almost any way you want to. I know they seem weird, but there is something strangely addicting about them.

YANKEE DOODLE Dandies

Melt in top of double boiler:
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips

Stir in:
1 cup chopped peanuts
1 cup chow mein noodles

Drop by teaspoonful onto parchment paper, let cool.

Keep On Dancing*
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun Oct 02, 2011 09:18 PM
I've made Tortilla with Polenta before now, I'd never thought about cornbread but then I'd never heard of it before I moved across the pond.
On Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:38 PM
hummingbird wrote:

I've made Tortilla with Polenta before now, I'd never thought about cornbread but then I'd never heard of it before I moved across the pond.

In the south cornbread is made daily. The big debate as I recall is with sugar, or without. And it is a debate.

Keep On Dancing*
On Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:00 PM
OMG, I'm so sick of that argument. Also sick of people arguing over the definition of BBQ, rub vs sauce, and whether or not chili has beans. Personally, I like my cornbread with a lot of sugar. But if someone disagrees with me, I'm totally ok with that.

But yeah, I like sweet cornbread topped with collard greens cooked in chicken stock topped with sweet pickle relish. I'm not normally a huge cornbread fan, but like that, I could eat it all day. And now I'm going to grab a slice of cornbread out of my freezer. :)
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:15 PM
Top, I LOVE those cookies!

And no sugar in my cornbread, thank you. Unless it's for breakfast. But I do like beans in my chili and UNsweetened tea. Some things in Texas you just can't stereotype. But don't tell that to Pam.

kk~
re: Cookie Swap (karma: 2)
By mandakp Comments: 566, member since Fri Aug 05, 2011
On Mon Oct 03, 2011 02:10 AM

Sister is here with the coconut macaroons!! I haven't made these in years, but when I did make them Bec was all over them :D

Coconut Macaroons

INGREDIENTS
2 egg whites
3/4 cup icing sugar
1 1/2 cups dessicated coconut
vanilla

METHOD
Preheat oven to 160oC.
Beat egg whites until fluffy. Add the vanilla and beat again.
Gradually add the sugar, beating between additions.
Fold in the coconut.
Place on a lined oven tray in teaspoons.
Bake in oven for 15 minutes.

Enjoy!
On Tue Oct 04, 2011 09:52 AM
Hey kids...

Things seem to be slowing down here so I thought I'd reach out to all of you expert bakers and see if you might like to participate in this www.dance.net . . .

A shower isn't a good shower without a magnificent dessert table.

Keep On Dancing*
re: Cookie Swap (karma: 2)
On Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:46 AM
I baked some MAGNIFICENT Pumpkin Whoopie Pies this weekend.

I stumbled across a nice Wilton Whoopie Pie Pan on the clearance rack and just had to have it. Image hotlink - 'http://www.partytimebr.net/party/Fall_Thanks/2105-0262.jpg'

There is a recipe suggested on the wrapper but I changed it up a bit. I can only assume it would be ok to make it without the special pan...I haven't tried it.
Image hotlink - 'http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/images/200/WP0262.jpg'

I also made brownies in the pan...did not "sandwich" them...
They were PERFECT!

Here is the google link for pictures of other specialty whoopie pans. www.google.com . . .

Anyway....here is the altered recipe if anyone wants to give it a try for Thanksgiving....

Pumpkin Spice Whoopie Pies

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt (I don’t always use this)
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
4 TBSP softened butter
1 cup granulated sugar (sometimes I use brown sugar)
2 eggs
½ cup solid pack pumpkin (3/4 ok, balance with yogurt to make 1 cup total)
½ cup yogurt (recipe calls for buttermilk but the Greek yogurt is much firmer and nicer)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray Whoopie Pie Pan with vegetable pan spray
Combine dry ingredients in medium sized bowl
In large bowl beat butter, sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time beat well after each addition
Gradually beat in dry mixture

Fill pan ½ full
Bake 7-9 minutes
Fill with cream cheese filling when cool
Cream Cheese Filling
1- 8 oz pkg cream cheese
½ cup confectioner’s sugar
½ tsp vanilla

Keep On Dancing*
On Sat Nov 05, 2011 08:07 PM
It’s already time for me to think about baking for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Here is one more for the Cookie Swap. When I make a cookie platter, these make a nice addition.

Sugared Pecans

Preheat oven to 300°F.

1 egg white
1 Tbsp water
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 oz pecans - about 2 cups
1/2 cup sugar (white or brown)
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Put egg, water, and vanilla in a bowl. Beat until slightly foamy, stir in cinnamon and sugar. Add pecans and coat well. Lift pecans out of bowl with a fork and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Bake 30 minutes. Nuts should be dry, but not crispy. 15 minutes into the baking, stir up the pecans with a fork. Let cool. Makes about 2 cups.

I package these in small cellophane bags or baby food jars or small jelly jars with pretty lids.
Sometimes, instead of packaging them and putting them in baskets with other gifts, I sprinkle them on cookie platters. These, as well as chocolate covered espresso beans and chocolate enrobed dried fruit can really dress up a plate of simple cookies.

Keep On Dancing*
On Sun Nov 06, 2011 07:36 AM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2011-11-06 07:38:24 that one didn't work, let's try again
Oops....forgot to post a picture...

Image hotlink - 'http://candiedpecans.org/images/Homemade-Candied-Pecans.jpg'

Forgot to mention...

Not a cookie thing, but I also use these in salad with dried cranberries, crumbled bleu cheese, and pears or mandarin oranges. They are wonderful!

Keep On Dancing*
Page:
Page 2 of 61 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatch