Page:
Page 3 of 61 2 3 4 5 6
re: Cookie Swap (karma: 1)
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Thu Dec 08, 2011 03:54 AM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2011-12-08 03:57:10 spacing
'T is the season...

Candy Cane Cookies
Image hotlink - 'http://s2.justapinchassets.com/images/recipe/6/4/2/9/4/medium.1.jpg'

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Blend together:

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon red food coloring

In a mixer bowl or by hand, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in egg, almond extract, vanilla, and salt. Blend flour into mixture in several additions, beat until just combined.

Remove half the dough from the bowl. Blend red food coloring into the half remaining in the bowl until the coloring is even. Cover dough with plastic wrap to keep it from drying out as you work. Use a floured teaspoon to measure 1 teaspoon each of white and red dough for each cookie. Roll into 4-inch ropes on a lightly floured surface. Place a red and white rope side-by-side, press together lightly and twist to form a spiral.

Place on parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Curve top down to form handle of a candy cane. Bake until set, about 9 minutes. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes or white sugar if desired.

Keep On Dancing*
re: Cookie Swap (karma: 2)
By celticprincessmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1076, member since Thu Aug 26, 2010
On Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:16 AM

Caramel filled Apple Cider cookies
Mmmmmm these are goooooood, wish I had come up with this recipe:D

scrambledhenfruit.blogspot.com . . .
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:28 AM
Edited by d4j (104724) on 2011-12-08 10:30:28 fixed link...

I love, love molasses cookies, so I am making these for our Winter Recital Cookie Social:

Chewy Spice Cookies - I love that they have black pepper in them!

www.realsimple.com . . .
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:41 AM
Edited by Louise (29559) on 2011-12-08 10:42:57

Evolution biscuits!

I'm calling these biscuits because I tend to think of cookies as chewy and bendable, whereas a biscuit is crunchy and breakable.

Evolution because you can do what you want with them; the picture is my most recent and most successful attempt.

The basic recipe is:

225g butter
110g caster sugar
275g plain flour

You cream the butter and sugar together, sift in the flour, mix. Scoop up walnut sized balls of dough, place on greaseproof paper and flatten out with a fork (leave room, they expand!) Bake at 170c for around 20 minutes or until they're starting to go golden brown around the edges.

I've done various incarnations including white chocolate and cranberry, hazelnut and chocolate chip etc but by far the best are the citrus cookies. All you do is grate the zest of a couple of oranges and one or two lemons and add to the batter - I find it mixes in best if you add it before the flour.

This time I also decided to melt a few bars of Cadbury's Bournville chocolate and drizzle it over the top. What a glorios mess I made! But they were AWESOME!

Edit - sorry for the huge photo. This was taken before the chocolate set - you'll notice I've already eaten one or two. Partly because you have to (cook's perks), partly because a HUGE drip of chocolate fell onto them and looked very messy so I felt I had best eat it quickly. While the chocolate was still hot. Nom.
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:50 AM
^Oh yes, all mistakes go to the cook. It's a firm rule. :D
re: Cookie Swap
On Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:43 PM
ANOTHER * * *N E W S * F L A S H ***

I just looked over the recipe for the Apple Carmel cookies and found a rather odd ingredient.

Image hotlink - 'http://s.shld.net/is/image/Sears/08755598000_20100416140348990?hei=248&wid=248&op_sharpen=1&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0'

It seems to be available at K-Mart, of all places,here in the States, so I suspect it is more common than I imagined. It never occurred to me to drink instant cider.

Keep On Dancing*
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:51 PM
That's confusing, why not just buy a bottle of cider? I would wholeheartedly recommend Kopparberg and Rekorderlig.
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:56 PM
I discovered Alpine spiced apple cider mix when I used to do a lot of camping. It's quite drinkable and very portable. Sitting around the campfire with a cup is very pleasant! I probably still have some up in the cupboard, lol.

kk~
On Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:58 PM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2011-12-08 13:00:21 posting same time as kk
For the purposes of the cookies, I can see that you might want the concentrated apple cider flavor without all the liquid. The recipe calls for all 10 packages.

I tried to imagine why anyone would want a product like this and all I can come up with is skiers might not want to schlep gallons of cider but might enjoy a hot one after some time on the slopes.

This seems like one of those ingredients you have in the cupboard until you move and then toss it out. However, the cookies look like they are worth a try so I guess I buy a box. I wonder if there is a way to substitute it. Is there such a thing as an apple cider reduction? If it works for wine, why not?

WHERE'S PANIC?

Keep On Dancing*

edit...I was posting the same time as kk...and SHE HAS SOME IN THE CUPBOARD!
HA,HA.
On Thu Dec 08, 2011 02:01 PM
Lol, yup. I just checked and I do!! My son got his Eagle Scout in '04 so that would have been the last time we went backpack camping. And yeah, the cider mix is from then, lol. No expiration date. I guess I should toss it in the emergency box with the Spam, ramen noodles and instant mac n cheese. :D

kk~
By celticprincessmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1076, member since Thu Aug 26, 2010
On Thu Dec 08, 2011 06:40 PM
^^^^^LOL it certainly is interseting stuff...I actaually haven't tried making apple cider with it yet. Just a warning, try not to accidently inhaile the stuff when you add it to the dough. IT BURNS!!!!!
On Sat Dec 31, 2011 01:03 PM

Ok, I know this is more of a Christmas-y thread, and it is past Christmas, but I'm actually making these right now, AND THEY ARE SO AMAZING!

CHOCOLATE CHIP-PEANUT BUTTER CUP COOKIES!!!!!

You need-

- One batch of chocolate chip cookie dough (I'm using a tub of the pre-make Toll House stuff

- 1 bag of mini Reeses Peanut Butter Cups with the wrappers removed (you may have extas, depending on how much cookie dough you have

- A mini muffin pan

- Mini cupcake wrappers

Preheat the oven according to the directions in your chocolate chip cookie recipe. Place the mini cupcake wrappers in the pan. Fill the wrappers about 2/3 of the way full of cookie dough, and bake for the time directed in you recipe. As soon as they come out of the oven, place a unwraped peanut butter cup in the center of each cookie. Let set for 5 minutes, than take the cookies out of the pan and on to a plate.
On Mon Jan 23, 2012 09:35 PM
I was looking for something else tonight and came across this picture of "Conversation Heart Cookies".

If I stop laughing I may hunt for a kinder, gentler, cookie but for now....

Image hotlink - 'http://cloudofchaos.com/photos/images/2011/02/cookies.jpg'

I wonder if there's much of a market for these?

Keep On Dancing*
On Fri Jun 15, 2012 05:05 AM
Seven Layer Cookies
Image hotlink - 'http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3261/3114754008_186ca63709.jpg'

My daughter makes these. It takes hours, but everyone loves them.

I've never seen them done in any other colors than these traditional Italian classics, but I am tempted to try them in Red, White, and Blue for the 4th of July.

Here is a recipe copied from the "smitten" site smittenkitchen.com . . .

Check out the link for some great pictures and some even better hints.

Seven Layer Cookies

Makes about 5 dozen cookies

Time: These take at least 11 hours from beginning to end, most of it inactive, but make sure you have a good 2 to 3 hour window

4 large eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
1 (8-oz) can almond paste
2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 cups) unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
25 drops red food coloring
25 drops green food coloring
1 (12-oz) jar apricot preserves, heated and strained
7 oz fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened), chopped

Special equipment: a small offset spatula, a heavy-duty stand mixer if you have one; a hand-mixer should work as well

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 13- by 9-inch baking pan and line bottom with wax paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on 2 ends, then butter paper.

Beat whites in mixer fitted with whisk attachment at medium-high speed until they just hold stiff peaks. Add 1/4 cup sugar a little at a time, beating at high speed until whites hold stiff, slightly glossy peaks. Transfer to another bowl.

Switch to paddle attachment, then beat together almond paste and remaining 3/4 cup sugar until well blended, about 3 minutes. Add butter and beat until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add yolks and almond extract and beat until combined well, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low, then add flour and salt and mix until just combined.

Fold half of egg white mixture into almond mixture to lighten, then fold in remaining whites gently but thoroughly.

Divide batter among 3 bowls. Stir red food coloring into one and green food coloring into another, leaving the third batch plain. Set white batter aside. Chill green batter, covered. Pour red batter into prepared pan and spread evenly with offset spatula (layer will be about 1/4 inch thick).

Bake red layer 8 to 10 minutes, until just set. (It is important to undercook. They’ll look like they’re not done, but a tester does come out clean.)

Using paper overhang, transfer layer to a rack to cool, about 15 minutes. Clean pan, then line with parchment or wax paper and butter paper in same manner as above. Bake white layer in prepared pan until just set. As white layer bakes, bring green batter to room temperature. Transfer white layer to a rack. Prepare pan as above, then bake green layer in same manner as before. Transfer to a rack to cool.

When all layers are cool, invert green onto a parchment or wax-paper-lined large baking sheet. Discard paper from layer and spread with half of preserves. Invert white on top of green layer, discarding paper. Spread with remaining preserves. Invert red layer on top of white layer and discard wax or parchment paper.

Cover with plastic wrap and weight with a large baking pan. Chill at least 8 hours.

Remove weight and plastic wrap. Bring layers to room temperature. Melt chocolate in a double boiler or a metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat. Keep chocolate over water.

Trim edges of assembled layers with a long serrated knife. Quickly spread half of chocolate in a thin layer on top of cake. Chill, uncovered, until chocolate is firm, about 15 minutes. Cover with another sheet of wax paper and place another baking sheet on top, then invert cake onto sheet and remove paper. Quickly spread with remaining chocolate. Chill until firm, about 30 minutes.

Cut lengthwise into 4 strips Cut strips crosswise into 3/4-inch-wide cookies.

Keep On Dancing*
On Fri Jun 22, 2012 04:43 PM
I am about to spend a few hours turning this into a cookie cookbook for a bridal shower on Sunday.

I told a friend at another studio that I'd help with her recital tomorrow, so this is my last chance to get this right.

Any suggestions?

I'm going to attempt to print this out on card weight paper, but I'm thinking that trying them two to a page, printed on both sides, might make a more useful collection.

Nominations for the best of the DDN cookie swap are welcomed.

Keep On Dancing*
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Fri Jun 22, 2012 04:54 PM
A friend just posted this on Facebook and I'm intrigued.

Potato chip cookies

Preheat oven to 350 degree
Grease cookie sheet

In a bowl combine:

1 lb butter
3 1/2 c flour
1 c sugar
1 cup smashed up potato chips

Drop rounded spoonfuls onto cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes.

Salty and sweet!
On Fri Jun 22, 2012 06:08 PM
^Does this really say One POUND of butter? This must be from the Paula Dean collection!

Keep On Dancing*
By hummingbird Comments: 10413, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Fri Jun 22, 2012 06:32 PM
Sumayah wrote:

A friend just posted this on Facebook and I'm intrigued.

Potato chip cookies

Preheat oven to 350 degree
Grease cookie sheet

In a bowl combine:

1 lb butter
3 1/2 c flour
1 c sugar
1 cup smashed up potato chips

Drop rounded spoonfuls onto cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes.

Salty and sweet!

OMG, that's just gone straight to my hips and all I did was read the recipe :P
By KirstenLeeSmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 779, member since Sun Mar 13, 2005
On Sat Aug 11, 2012 04:00 AM

Tartan cupcakes:)

I brought this over from the Highland board!
On Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:30 PM
^These are such treats for the eyes.

I don't have to imagine what they taste like, and frankly, I don't care. They are just delightful to behold.

Thanks for taking the time to post these here as well as the Highland board.

Keep On Dancing*

ps... I know I could have said all that in karma, but I am also shamelessly bumping this.... I MISS COOKIE SEASON

xoxo
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Sun Aug 26, 2012 01:35 AM
I love those pretty decorated cookies! Good job girl! Wait, I'm just guessing you were a girl.

I'll have to post some of my recipes on here. I love to bake cookies and if our state was a cottage state, I wouldn't need to find a commercial kitchen to bake my cookies and sell them to people. At Christmas time I bake at least 7 or 8 different kinds of cookies and I bake all year. It's hard to bake when it's 95 degrees and humid & you don't want to heat up the house turning on the oven. Sometimes in the heat the cookies don't turn out exactly right either. By that I mean the beating or mixing, stuff like that. I think the batter gets funky or something. I love to bake! I love a lot of the recipes on here. I have to look them over and then make some!
On Tue Aug 28, 2012 03:50 AM
Has anyone tried the potato chip cookies?

I really do wonder if they require a whole pound of butter or if that is a misprint.

Is it cookie time yet?

Keep On Dancing*
On Tue Aug 28, 2012 04:30 AM
Yes, cookie time is almost here.

How did the cookbook for your friend's shower turn out?

kk~
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Thu Aug 30, 2012 06:06 PM
Here is the recipe I made last night. I am doing the last of the summer street fairs and I decided that since my crafts aren't selling that well ( I don't know why) and I am a really good baker, I would bake cookies and sell them tonight along w/my crafts. Everybody loves food and these are good. They are also so easy even Rachael Ray, who says she doesn't bake, could make these and have them come out perfect. You have to try these! I made lemon and chocolate because I know people like both. You could try other flavors such as banana as I know they have that kind of pudding. Chocolate and banana would be yummy!

1-2-3 Lemon Cookies

1 1/2 cups baking mix (Bisquick)
1 small pkg. instant vanilla pudding mix
1 small pkg. instant lemon pudding mix (when I mad the second batch I used chocolate pudding w/the vanilla.)
1/2 cup veg. oil
2 eggs
2 drops of lemon food flavoring (I used lemon juice. For the other batch I used chocolate flavoring which we had. I suppose you could leave this out if you so chose.)

Mix all ingredients together with a spoon or electric mixer. Form into small balls; place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Press with a fork to flatten (I moved the fork one way then turned it around the other way to make them look really pretty.) Bake at 350 degrees for 8 - 10 min. (My oven was 8.) You will see the lemon cookies are brown on the bottom when they are done. Makes 40-50 cookies.
By balletgirl4ever Comments: 535, member since Tue Jul 31, 2012
On Thu Aug 30, 2012 06:31 PM
Oh my god, I love this thread! Cookies are my life (my favourite food!) Too bad I can't cook though, I might learn in cookery class this year but I'm not hopeful.
Page:
Page 3 of 61 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatch