Forum: Arts / Food & Beverage

Page:
Page 4 of 61 2 3 4 5 6
re: Cookie Swap
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:03 PM
I was so excited when I saw this on the hot board....oh DDN...I love you all.

kk - Thanks for asking. The shower went well. It was for my future daughter in law and although we all bought stuff from the registry we wanted to personalize the gifts. We printed out many of the selections from this thread, two on a page and printed them out on card stock, we cut them in half and tied them up in a pretty ribbon. They were the perfect accent. One of my daughters included them with cookie sheets and gadgets, the other did a basket of ingredients, measuring spoons and cups.

I'm so excited about the possibility of this thread heating up again.

Keep On Dancing*
re: Cookie Swap (karma: 1)
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Fri Aug 31, 2012 02:01 AM
I didn't sell a single cookie tonight. I got "Oh, were trying to watch what we eat" or "We ate to much stuff already." Oh well, their loss. Tomorrow I am going somewhere and I have to bring a dish. Since it's a long way from me, at least an hour and a half, it can't be anything that's warm or has to be heated up like a casserole. I'm bringing some of the cookies from tonight.

I marked these delicious so they must be good.

Luscious Coconut Cookies
1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. salt
1 cup butter or regular margarine
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups coconut
1 pkg. (10 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
Preheat the over to 375 degrees. Mix flour with baking powder, spices and salt. Beat butter until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in sugar. Mix in egg and vanilla. stir in the flour mixture until well blended. Stir in the coconut and the chips. Drop from teaspoons onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 13 min. or until golden brown around the edges.
On Fri Aug 31, 2012 02:08 AM
I thought I would print each one separately as it would be easier to read that way. I marked these easy and good.

Rolled Oat Clusters (No Bake Cookies)
2 Cups Sugar
1/2 C. milk
1/2 C. butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 C. Peanut Butter
3 C. rolled oats (quick or regular)
Combine sugar, milk, butter and salt in a heavy 3 quart pot. stir. Bring to a full boil. Boil for 1 min. Remove from heat. Add vanilla and peanut butter. Stir until smooth. Add rolled oats.
Mix well. Cool until mixture holds shape, slightly. Drop by tsp. onto waxed paper. Cool. Makes about 4 doz. clusters.
On Fri Aug 31, 2012 02:21 AM
These I marked they are a keeper.

Bakeless Dream Cookies
2 C. granulated sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup milk
1 stick oleo or margarine
3 cups quick cooking oatmeal
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup peanut butter
Place sugar, cocoa, milk and margarine in sauce pan. Bring to a boil and boil for a min. Remove from heat and add peanut butter and nuts (if wanted). Blend well, stir in oatmeal and vanilla. Drop by tsp. on waxed paper. Let stand until cool and real firm.
On Fri Aug 31, 2012 02:27 AM
Last one for tonight. I also marked these a keeper and said they made 80 small cookies.

Bisquick Pistachio Pudding Cooking
1 1/2 cups Bisquick
2 regular boxes of instant pistachio pudding
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs

Stir above ingredients together. Form into small balls. Can be rolled in sugar. Flatten slightly on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 8-10 min.
On Fri Sep 07, 2012 08:39 AM
This picture is hijacked from another panic post

I just couldn't resist...

It looks like they were cut with a heart shaped cookie cutter and trimmed (bottom lopped off)

Image hotlink - 'http://michaelscomments.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/cookies.jpg'

Wouldn't these be cute for a bridal lingerie shower?

I hope the picture lasts. It seems many of them disappear after a bit.

Keep On Dancing*
On Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:04 PM
Those are cute. I don't know if I'd make them but they are cute.
By Cheesemoo Comments: 639, member since Mon Jun 23, 2008
On Mon Sep 10, 2012 04:51 AM
Quinoa Parsnip Maple Cookies!

1 stick unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup ap flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup cooked quinoa (start with 1/3 cup dried and cook it in twice as much water)
1 cup rolled oats
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup grated peeled parsnip, depending on the size of your parsnips, this might be half a very large one, or one kind of more normal sized one.

Oven preheated to 375 F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

With a mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Then beat in the eggs one at a time, making sure that they are well combined before adding the next. Then beat in the vanilla.

In another bowl, mix together the flours, quinoa, oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and allspice. The buttermilk should be ready. Set your mixer on low, and beat in 1/3 of the dry ingredients, then half the buttermilk. Next add in another 1/3 of the dry ingredients and the last of the buttermilk before adding in the last of the dry mixture. Fold in the parsnips with a spatula.

Drop the cookie dough in tablespoon-sized mounds on the prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 11-13 minutes, until golden around the edges. Transfer to a cooling wrack and let cool completely.

For the Maple Glaze

While the cookies are baking, whisk together 1 cup powdered sugar with 1/4 cup real maple syrup until smooth. When the cookies are completely cool, drizzle the maple glaze over the top. Allow the glaze to set before storing or serving.

Source: cooking-books.blogspot.ca . . .

Picture is from my first attempt at them tonight! They turned out great! The ingredients may sound scary (parsnips in cookies?) but they're actually really good. Perfect for when you want to be all crunchy but you also really like cookies. They're kind of more like biscuits than cookies in some ways, but the maple glaze really makes them delicious.
On Thu Sep 27, 2012 03:40 AM
^These look fascinating. I've never seen a cookie recipe with so many odd ingredients. You KNOW I have to try these.

Thanks for posting this.

Keep On Dancing*
On Thu Oct 04, 2012 04:51 PM
Today is a perfect day for baking. I've been thinking of making these for years, unfortunately, it requires a trip to the Liquor Store! (oh no!)

They take a while, as they start with a brownie base and then have two other layers on top. I like this recipe...the chocolate syrup is a nice touch and seems to compliment the other two layers. Now, if I can only figure out how to slice them small enough to only have as many calories as a banana....

Image hotlink - 'http://cf2.foodista.com/sites/default/files/styles/featured/public/Creme%20De%20Menthe%20Brownies.jpg'

Creme de Menthe Bars

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Butter one 9x13 baking dish

Beat until light and fluffy:

1 cup white sugar
1 cup soft butter
4 eggs, one at a time

Stir in:

1 cup all purpose flour
1 16 oz can of Hershey chocolate syrup (or equivalent)
1 tablespoon (yes, tablespoon as in 3 teaspoons) vanilla extract

Mix well and spread in prepared baking pan, and bake for 30 minutes.

Let brownie base cool.

While brownie cools, prepare middle layer

Beat together:
1/2 cup butter
2 cups confectioners sugar
1/4 cup creme de menthe liqueur (you can sub mint extract and a few drops of green food coloring, but it's just not the same)

Spread this over cooled brownie layer and refrigerate until firm

Finally, glaze the whole thing with a layer of melted chocolate topping

Melt:
1 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips
6 tablespoons butter

Mix until smooth.

Spread evenly over the top of the cooled filling.

Cool again.

These are easier to slice if they are cool.

Keep On Dancing*
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:24 AM
^These layered brownies made me think of Katharine Hepburn's Raspberry Brownies. Sorry I don't have a photo. These are delish! I'm afraid this is a very wordy recipe. The brownies are very easy to make but they do take awhile due to the freezing.

2 oz. unsweatened chocolate
4 oz. (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, large
1/4 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
1 cup walnuts, broken into medium size pieces
1/3 cup seedless red raspberry preserves

Line an 8 x 8 x 2" baking pan with aluminum foil*. Brush the foil all over with melted butter (additional to what is in the recipe).

Heat the butter and chocolate in a large, heavy saucepan over very low heat, stir frequently until melted. Remove from heat. Stir in salt, vanilla, sugar, then add the eggs, one at a time. Stir til well incorporated, then add flour and stir until smooth. Add walnuts if you like them (I abhor them so I skip).

Pour half of the batter into the baking pan. Spread mixture with a spoon to level it. Place the pan in the freezer for 30 minutes or longer, til firm enough for spreading preserves over top, then do so. The preserves will make a very thin layer, barely enough to cover. Pour or spoon remaining brownie mixture over the preserves. Carefully smooth with the back of a spoon.

Let pan stand at room temperature for 30 minutes more, in order to allow the frozen layer to thaw.

Meanwhile, adjust a rack 1/3 up from the bottom of the oven, and pre-heat to 325 F. Bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out barely clean. Remove from oven and cool in the pan until brownies are at room temperature. Then place in freezer until brownies are firm. Cover pan with a cutting board and invert pan. Remove the pan, peel off the foil, and turn the brownie cake right side up. With a thin, very sharp knife, cut into 16 squares or 32 small rectangles. Serve room temperature or cold.

*the recipe calls for foil, but I prefer baking parchment
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Sun Oct 07, 2012 02:59 AM

^Forgot to add a photo to go with this recipe. Here you go.
re: Cookie Swap (karma: 2)
By hummingbird Comments: 10413, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun Oct 07, 2012 01:16 PM
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2012-10-07 13:31:35
Hijack time :P

This isn't a cookie recipe at all, it's a pancake recipe.

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix these together and whisk to aerate them

1 cup pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 egg
1 3/4 cups milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest

Mix all of these in another bowl and then add all of the ingredients together gently, so that you don't knock out the air and cook on a medium heat.I use a small amount of butter melted in the pan to cook them in and a soup ladle to measure the batter for each pancake.

End Hijack, we can go back to cookies(biscuits) now.
On Mon Oct 08, 2012 01:36 PM
^I don't know, I think a pancake is pretty close to a cookie...
Image hotlink - 'http://s3-media4.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/CPo4tnyV2AXAISG-TzGnLA/l.jpg'

I can't wait to try these. I'm off on Wednesday, so I think that will be the day. I'll come back with a report.

Thanks for the fall treat.

Keep On Dancing*
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Mon Oct 08, 2012 07:59 AM
Edited by Gavrilushka (251581) on 2012-10-08 08:00:49 Poor pre-post-editing skills
Oh I need to try your pancake recipe Ms. Hummingbird. I recently made buttermilk pancakes with buttermilk I had left over from baking my weekly red velvet cake. I had put strawberries and followed all the necessary instructions like you'd expect from a vodka induced Russian trying to decipher those English words that translated poorly on Google translate (yes this is my poor excuse in avoiding to admit that I did not read the recipe very well).

I put all the ingredients in, strawberries included and the strawberries soaked up the buttermilk while I was waiting for the butter to melt in the microwave. Add the butter. Mix. Put in pan. Ugly pancakes shaped like gross alien forms emerge. Put them onto plate. Bite.

Regret.

The strawberries were the worst bit. They just tasted like sour milk - COOKED sour milk which is awful. I couldn't eat it at all. Tried to give it to the dog (who eats ANYTHING I cook because he loves me like that) and even he had to admit, despite his loyalty, that I'm a pretty awful cook. :P

So, I am looking forward to trying out this pancake recipe in the hopes of refuelling my love for pancakes and hopefully regain my dog's love. :)
On Mon Oct 08, 2012 02:01 PM
We made the pumpkin pancakes yesterday and they were good, I'm doing them again today as it's a holiday here in Canada, we have our thanksgiving this weekend.
By dancer7210 Comments: 283, member since Tue Aug 28, 2012
On Mon Oct 08, 2012 09:12 PM
Awesome idea! Have to raid my parents cabnets for a cookie recipie! I think I have a suprisingly good one for potato chip cookies somewhere...... Ive made thoes cookies before that started the swap, they are my favorte cookies now, but the cook book we got them out of called them tiger cookies because of the stripes.
By dancer7210 Comments: 283, member since Tue Aug 28, 2012
On Mon Oct 08, 2012 09:24 PM
Ok, I found the cookbook, it has a bunch of cute cookiess, all made out of cake mix!
Potato Chip Cookies
1 box of white cake mix
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
2 cups crushed potato chips
2/3 cups chopped pecans (optional)

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2)Place cake mix, oil, and eggs in a large bowl. Mix until well blended.
3)Add chips, and pecans if using them.
4)Shape dough into walnut sized balls. Place 2" apart on sprayed baking sheets. Flatten slightly with finger or drinking glass.
5)Bake 11-13 minutes
6)Let stand on cookie sheet for 3 minutes, before transfering to wire baking rack.
This recipies makes about 3 dozen cookies.
Another variation listed is to use butter pecan cake mix.
When I made them last time, they were a huge hit!
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4130, member since Mon Mar 08, 2010
On Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:08 PM
I don't have a cookie recipe but do have one for weetabix cake...yep sounds awful...tastes like bread pudding.

ingredients

2 Weetabix
113g/4oz sultanas
142ml/5 fl oz skimmed milk
142ml/5fl oz water
113g/4oz self-raising flour
1 teaspoon mixed spice
14g/½oz artificial sweetener
1 egg, beaten

method

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.

2. Put the Weetabix and sultanas in a bowl. Pour the milk and water over the top and leave to soak up all the liquid.

3. Stir in the flour, mixed spice, sweetener and beaten egg.

4. Spoon the mixture into a 454g/1lb lined loaf tin and bake in the preheated oven for 1¼ hours, until cooked.

5. Cool on a wire rack before serving, then cut into 12 slices.
On Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:25 PM
Gavrilushka, this is my go to buttermilk pancake recipe, I'm not from North America so these aren't something I started to make until I moved to Canada a few years ago. They work really well with Greek Yoghurt and fruit, just fruit or Maple Syrup :)

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups buttermilk
1/3 cup milk
2 eggs

Put all of the wet ingredients together and then the dry ones and mix only when you're ready to cook them. They taste really good and the buttermilk isn't too overwhelming. I'm sorry your dog didn't like the pancakes, I'm sure he'll forgive you though, dogs are like that.
On Tue Nov 27, 2012 01:07 AM
Image hotlink - 'http://d3w5aos35qel1w.cloudfront.net/img/cookie-wreath-main.jpg'

Now that Thanksgiving is over here in the US, and long over in Canada, it is time to update this.

I never did post the Halloween entries, but I will.

For now, I thought I'd give this a little bump and get everyone thinking about Christmas Cookies.

Check these out... store bought everything.
Image hotlink - 'http://frontiergirls.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/cookies.jpg'

Reindeer Cookies

You will need:

1 package of Nutter Butter cookies
1 tube of white frosting
brown M&Ms
red M&Ms
small pretzels (the twisted type, not the sticks)
wax paper.

Lay out your cookies on the wax paper leaving enough room to add antlers (the pretzels) on top. Use the frosting to attach a pretzel to the top of the cookie. Do the same with two brown M&Ms attached to the front of your cookie for eyes, and a red M&M for a nose. Oh Grandma....

Keep On Dancing*
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3157, member since Tue Apr 24, 2007
On Tue Nov 27, 2012 04:02 PM

I'm getting ready to plan my christmas baking, so I'm very glad to see this thread pop up again. If I make your recipe and it turns out, there will be karma coming from me!

Here is my addition, Kolackie Cookies. My mom will tell you they're Bohemian, but they're also found from other countries around that area of the world. Whether you pinch the centers together depends on what country you are from.

This is my mom's updated recipe, my grandmother's called for yeast, but this one is easier, and faster.

Ingredients
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
2 eggs
9 oz cream cheese

fruit pie filling

Instructions
beat cream cheese and butter until smooth, blend in dry ingredients. Add eggs and sirt to form stiff dough

Chill 2 hours

roll on floured surface to 1/4 inch thick, cut out circles and place spoonfull of pie filling in the center

bake for 15 minutes at 375 F

I've used apricot (favorite), raspberry, and almond. My grandma's favorites were poppy seed (don't eat before a drug test!) and fig
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Tue Nov 27, 2012 04:43 PM
Definitely time to revive this! I will post as soon as inspiration strikes. Hm....

kk~
On Thu Dec 06, 2012 03:08 AM
I thought I'd give this a little bump. I've been too busy to bake, but my heart is there.

Any contributions from any of our new members?

I have a ton of chopped peanuts to use up. I'm thinking of just dipping some pretzels in chocolate and sprinkling the peanuts on top.
Image hotlink - 'http://www.chocolate.com/dimages/product_images/7336-chocolate-covered-pretzels-with-nuts-8-oz_275x275.jpg'

Then again... 'tis the season for real cookies....

Happy Baking everyone.

Keep On Dancing*
On Thu Dec 20, 2012 04:13 PM
Just bumping around the kitchen a bit before I drive south... tis the season...

In any event, I'm going to be shopping for cookie ingredients to do my baking on Sunday. I'm trying to decide on the top ten...and just for fun, I'd like to make the selections from here.

1) Chocolate crinkles
2) Mexican Wedding Cookies
3) Chocolate chip ... don't know which ones yet, but what is a cookie tin without chocolate chips
4) Plain old sugar cookies cut into snowflakes
5) Odessa's ANZAC Biscuits...no way can I resist the opportunity to ship something that has already passed the test of a nation at war
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

I love the layered cakey things, but I don't think they'll ship well. If I manage to get these in the mail on Monday it will be a miracle, but ... well.... tis the season of miracles, right?

Nominations for the last five selections, anyone?

Keep On Dancing*
Page:
Page 4 of 61 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatch